I like Monkeys

Got my new 575...Wheelset questions.

I got my new 575 last night and I must say it is a beautiful bike. I'm chomping at the bit to ride it this afternoon after I sneak out of work. The welds are beautiful and the machining on the dogbone and swingarm are a work of art. And it came with the 07 Float 140RLC as well as the now standard RP23. All I got was a parking lot ride last night but it felt good with the fit and general cockpit feel.

I got the race disk build and it came with the 540/minion wheel/tire combo. Although the website shows two combinations of wheels and tires, every review I'd seen had the 455's and Ignitors so that is what I expected. I'm considering putting my Mavic Crossland tubeless wheels with Tubeless ready tires on to save some weight. I figure I could probably save 1.5-2 pounds by doing the swap. Is there a rhyme or reason to which wheelset you get? Any opinions on the 540 vs the 455 wheels?

Maybe it's a hint to ride a little more agressively? I'll post some pix and ride impressions after I christen the beast in some Virginia mud.

VA
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    I got my new 575 last night and I must say it is a beautiful bike. I'm chomping at the bit to ride it this afternoon after I sneak out of work. The welds are beautiful and the machining on the dogbone and swingarm are a work of art. And it came with the 07 Float 140RLC as well as the now standard RP23. All I got was a parking lot ride last night but it felt good with the fit and general cockpit feel.

I got the race disk build and it came with the 540/minion wheel/tire combo. Although the website shows two combinations of wheels and tires, every review I'd seen had the 455's and Ignitors so that is what I expected. I'm considering putting my Mavic Crossland tubeless wheels with Tubeless ready tires on to save some weight. I figure I could probably save 1.5-2 pounds by doing the swap. Is there a rhyme or reason to which wheelset you get? Any opinions on the 540 vs the 455 wheels?

Maybe it's a hint to ride a little more agressively? I'll post some pix and ride impressions after I christen the beast in some Virginia mud.

VA
    Post them pics....

You will probably hate the Minions, I did. They roll very slow. The wheels are probably both good, the 540's are heavier and more AM suited.

If you are riding primarily XCish trails, check out the CrossMark tires. They are very fast rolling and have a very good grip.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Pics!!!!

Sorry I can't help with the rim/tire question.... but don't you love that "new bike smell"

I like Monkeys
    Yep, too bad it will smell like mud, sweat & butt tonight I'm going to give the tires a chance. Even with the heavy wheels and tires it came in at 29 lbs even with pedals. The mechanics at the LBS were guessing at 31 pounds or so. They were surprised and impressed by the bike. It was the first one they had seen. I've been running Bontrager Tubeless ready tires which I like, if I don't like the minions I already have a buyer and I'll just put on my other wheelset. Pictures to follow this evening after the christening...

Who is John Galt?
    We really need to figure out what THE wheelset is for the 575. I am thinking that will be what I spend a large chunk of my tax refund on. I have the stock Deore hubs from the Enduro build and they are going to get me hurt sometime. There is this huge lag when you you need to get on the pedals before the cogs engage. I've been looking at American hubs, anyone running these?
    What, me hurry?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    No experience with the ACs, but I run Hope Pro2s with DT Swiss 5.1d rims.... these hubs are great and very reasonably priced... my wheelset is very strong, you could opt for DT 4.2d rims if you want to get a lighter wheelset... but the hubs rule!

Pike and Hope Pro 2 hub
    Last edited by crisillo; 11-29-2006 at 05:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Check out the Save Some Weight and the Wheel forums for the AC low down. I was tempted by them (well, their weight to be honest), but reliability seems very hit and miss. They also appear to have narrow flange spacing, so I've gone off them as a result. I'm now looking at a Tune wheelset to replace my Hopes.

Who is John Galt?
    My biggest concern is the hub hookup. Guess I should be concerned about the rims too but as my riding gets more technical I really see the need for some good hubs. do the DT/Swiss hubs engage quickly? What's a good number of pawls inside? I'll check out that wheel forum sometime, sure this has been covered there.
    What, me hurry?

I like Monkeys
    If you go for any of the DTswiss hubs besides the generics in the RaceDisc Build they are pretty quick engaging Star Engagement hubs IIRC. The generic is a pawl mechanism. My wife has a set of Onyx hubs with Bonty Mustang Tubeless Rims that have been flawless for 3 years of moderate riding. I'd consider them in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Here are some examples (sorry no AC info).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tscheezy
    King 72 engagement points / 5 degree rotation to engagement
    I9 120 or 60 points / 3 or 6 degree
    Hadley 72 points (they dropped the model with 108) / 5 degree
    Most Shimano is 16 or 24 points / 22.5 or 15 degree
    Hope Pro II 24 / 15 degree
    Hope Bulb 36 point / 10 degree
    DT 18 point / 20 degree
    Easton Havoc 36 point / 10 degree

I don't think 'instant engagement' is the be all and end all that some people make it out to be, though some of the Shimano offerings are quite bad.

trail "cleaner"

spend the money and get.....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    My biggest concern is the hub hookup. Guess I should be concerned about the rims too but as my riding gets more technical I really see the need for some good hubs. do the DT/Swiss hubs engage quickly? What's a good number of pawls inside? I'll check out that wheel forum sometime, sure this has been covered there.
    the king of hubs... Chris King. instant hub engagement. Lasts forever (with proper maintenance of course).. Lace them up with some Mavic 819's and you've got probably one of the BEST wheelsets out there. Strong, relatively light and tubeless ready. I've been pounding my CK's and 819's for over two years with no issue. My other CK wheelset is on it's second set of rims. These hubs are over 6 years old and work as good as new. CK is the benchmark for all others to compare to.
    No dabs allowed!

Who is John Galt?
    Did a little research last night, wow, King is some company. They even sell coffee! And it looks like I could get something in a hub that is not pink Although their "pretty and strong" campaign is pretty funny. American Classic is a cross country only wheelset. They even warn you on their web site: "American Classic MTB wheels are designed for cross-country application only, no free riding. Increased stress on the wheels will reduce the life span of any wheel including American Classic wheels." Still very beautiful wheelsets if that's what you want. And they do list a "Terrain Disc" wheelset, whatever that is.

http://www.amclassic.com/hubs.html

http://www.chrisking.com/index.html
    What, me hurry?

I like Monkeys
    I've wanted kings for years but can't justify the cost. Industry 9 has some awesome wheels as well and if you want quick engagement they are the standard. But both of these freehubs are noisy and expensive. That said I'm lusting for a king/819 wheelset when I get the wife over the cost of the 575..

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    I've wanted kings for years but can't justify the cost. Industry 9 has some awesome wheels as well and if you want quick engagement they are the standard. But both of these freehubs are noisy and expensive. That said I'm lusting for a king/819 wheelset when I get the wife over the cost of the 575..
    Good luck with that and if you ever do, please tell me your secret....

The I9's are really sweet but $900 for a wheelset is half the cost of the whole bike...

I could get a custom made set online for about half that cost by Mike Garcia... That may be my next big purchase too. Although putting a set of CK's on them would be super nice.....

I like Monkeys
    I've bought wheelbuilding parts from Mike and he's first rate. But he mostly has WTB stuff which just doesn't hold up in virginia mud. I agree on the I9's, too much money and the only set I've heard in person made CK's seem quiet.. I'm probably going to throw my Crosslands on the 575 so I can run tubeless and save a little weight over the 540's and Minions.

mtbr member
    The new I9 hubs that use conventional spokes are supposed to be available shortly. I was under the impression they were supposed to be 'cheaper' than CK's, though a little heavier. Then again, if you're considering Kings, light weight clearly isn't a priority.

I like Monkeys
    I like the I9 hubs, I'll wait for the verdict and see if that's what I'll use for the 'big money build' when the wife lets me spend money again.

For now I replaced the 540/DTSwiss and Minions with my Crossland UST & Bontrager Tubeless Ready 2.25's to save some weight. 1.5 pounds in 20 minutes (Had to change rotors & Cassette). Now 27.5 pounds on my scale. And pretty much all of that weight was in the tires so I should really notice the difference in rotating weight. I can't believe that a bike with this much travel weighs this much. And it's not stupid light parts or super high price. You do get a lot for your money. 2nd ride to come this afternoon.