Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Goodbye performance hoody? Mayday hoody downgrade

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  swan3609 
#1 ·
Really disappointed they discontinued the performance hoody. Kicking myself for not buying one when I could. It was such a unique item. The zippered opening in the back! awesome. They seem to have replaced it with the smuggler hoody, which is similar to something you can buy from any high end outdoor retailer. The badging is less bold as well which once again says, "any outdoor retailer" Anyone else think this was a mistake? The Mayday hoody is also less bold and the quality went down considerably. Most of it is printed now where before it was quality stitching and two patches. Grey is pretty boring too.

Also read a post about using more old logos etc. Im in that boat as well.

#20 ·
Totally agree about the material upgrade. The smuggler hoody is REI type higher tech material, no doubt. Good job there. But unless I turn around and show someone my ass it looks like something I could just purchase at REI. If you combine the fabric and construction upgrade of the smuggler hoody with the design esthetic of the performance hoody you is gonna have a winner.

On another note I sort of question the "close to my butt" (or groin for that matter) placements of logos. Maybe the thought is that with a water pack someone riding behind me is going to look up and see the logo. The problem is that I ride so fast that no one is going to catch up and get close enough to read the logo. ;) They only will see the logo when I am kicked back in a chair drinking a beer in the sweet sunshine after the ride. Thats when the yeti logo/ and brand gets its glory.

#6 ·
Man, this happens EVERY time we discontinue a product. We sit on piles of them for months and cannot sell them, then as soon as they're gone, everyone wants one.

FYI, the DJ is the next model on the chopping block. We're already sold out of SM, and once the MD and LG are gone, they're gone for good. Get 'em while they're hot!

JP

#12 ·
Man, this happens EVERY time we discontinue a product. We sit on piles of them for months and cannot sell them, then as soon as they're gone, everyone wants one.

JP
John, I would be up for placing a pre-order. I am not sure if that would be a way of managing the requests?

For example, lets say you need 100 pre-orders to initiate a run of "X" shirt. Start a preorder mini site, or link, and if in a given time frame the pre-order is met, great. If not, everyone is informed and their money refunded?

#7 ·
Can't sell them..?.. You were out of stock for months. Can you guys do a special order? Send out an email for a limited run. Perhaps that should be something you should try to test products.

Regardless. The new hoodies are just not as good. When you have such a strong brand and logo... Less may not be more....

I bought a dj last year..... Love it. Phew!!! Christ I might have to buy another one to keep for safe keeping. You should highlight the fact it's on the chopping block on the site. I would bet everyone that has pined for one will finally let go of their greenbacks. They would go fast if people knew.

#10 ·
Can't sell them..?.. You were out of stock for months. Can you guys do a special order? Send out an email for a limited run. Perhaps that should be something you should try to test products.

Regardless. The new hoodies are just not as good. When you have such a strong brand and logo... Less may not be more....

I bought a dj last year..... Love it. Phew!!! Christ I might have to buy another one to keep for safe keeping. You should highlight the fact it's on the chopping block on the site. I would bet everyone that has pined for one will finally let go of their greenbacks. They would go fast if people knew.
RE: Performance hoodies, we ran out once last year for a while (before we had a soft goods manager), but then when we got the new ones in, they sat there for a very long time (most people wouldn't buy because they said the price was too high)

RE: branding/DJ, thanks for your advice.

JP

#13 ·
Agreed. Our creative director, Craig Grant, did those as well as the graphics on the 25th Anniversary 303WC. I wish he had more time to do other bikes, but he's buried with other work - he designs/maintains the website, does all of studio photos, all of the location photos, documents the team, does all of the video, etc. It's a ton of work.

JP

#18 ·
Let my people shop

The funny thing about this whole hoody issue, when you go to store link both the Performance Hoody and the "Original" Blue Hoody are the first 2 pictures that scroll across the site.

Bring them back!
Bring them back!

#19 ·
Thanks for all the feedback on the hoodies! We're going to be changing up design more frequently to try and keep things fresh in the line while still doing some "throwback style" items too (hint - keep an eye on the line in the coming months as some old school designs will reappear). The Smuggler Hoody is actually a huge upgrade from the old performance hoody since it's actually windproof and water resistant. The Performance Hoody didn't have any of those qualities and, as John mentioned, was not a great seller when we had it in stock. That being said, it's great to hear the feedback about what you liked about it and I'll make sure to take those notes into consideration as we work through design for next year's apparel line. So thanks again!

#25 ·
Mayday Hoody - poorly made, will be returned

I am a huge fan of my Yeti ASR5c and of the several pieces of Yeti clothing I own. I just got the Mayday as a Father's Day gift and it is going back. The letters are not stitched like the Colorado flag hoody, giving it a really cheesy appearance, and the "yeti" stitching on the sleeves is already coming out! The sleeve stitching is really loose and cheesy. This is a poorly made hoody and for $70 Yeti should be ashamed. Truly disappointed, I wear my other Yeti hoodies with pride but this one is junk.

#27 · (Edited)
I am really bummed.. I rocked my performance hoodie almost daily at university and this last winter, I laid my bike down one day to avoid getting hit by a car and ended up putting some holes in the front of my hoodie. I was gutted.

That said, I guess I will have to keep checking up and seeing what new pops up..

Good news is that I got my 66C and my DJ the other day. I was looking at some other brands for my DJ bike but when I herd that this was the last of the Yeti DJ, I decided to pull the trigger..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.