Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mutaullyassuredsuffering
    Reputation: used2Bhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,050

    Goodbye Cannondale Forum! Hello ASR-SL!

    After one year of "Can someone please fix my lefty?" and "Why will my front Der cable routing never work properly?"..... And the classic "What is the popping noise every time my shock compresses?" and my personal favorite "How can this bike be so fricken heavy?" ......I am done! The Scalpel and Rush are going away for good!

    Thursday, I bought an ASR-SL, prepped it Friday, and raced it Saturday. After never riding the bike outside of a parking lot, I took it straight to an XC race and felt more comfortable on that bike than any other I have ridden yet....

    This morning I took it on my usual trail ride for my first real comparison. It almost tied my personal best time on the 1000' climb which was done on a 21lb Carbon Hardtail, and obliterated the old time on the descent. I don't know what it is about this bike, but it descends better than any other XC bike I have ever been on, yet climbs almost as good as my HT. Looks like the classic HT/FS pre-race debate will be long gone for me. The HT gets the nod for STXC and Hill Climbs, for everything else... there is the Yeti! Now I know why everyone I race against is sitting on one of these things.

    My digital camera is currently toast so sadly, I have no bike porn.... I got the red.

  2. #2
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,910
    Welcome aboard. I made the jump from a CDale Jekyll to a 575, and I've been so happy about that change. I was never thrilled with the Jekyll, but after getting the shock PUSH'd it was a lot better but not in the same ballpark as my 575.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: preparation_h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    774
    uh oh.

  4. #4
    Mythical Creature
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,851
    Welcome to the 'Hood. The ASR-SL is as close to the perfect race machine I've gotten. Light. Stiff. Snappy. Descends like a bandit as you noted - and climbs pretty damned well. Durable simple pivots, beautiful workmanship, great geometry and standover. Nice stable cockpit without being too long. Got mine down to in the 23 pound range - so I ditched the HT altogether.

    glen
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  5. #5
    I'm a unitard!
    Reputation: mtbfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,524
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    The HT gets the nod for STXC and Hill Climbs, for everything else... there is the Yeti! Now I know why everyone I race against is sitting on one of these things.
    Welcome!

    I did a STXC race on Sunday. In my group, 4 out of 5 guys were on FS. 3 of the FS were ASRs. Maybe you should give it a shot in the short ones too.

  6. #6
    mutaullyassuredsuffering
    Reputation: used2Bhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,050

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Welcome to the 'Hood. The ASR-SL is as close to the perfect race machine I've gotten. Light. Stiff. Snappy. Descends like a bandit as you noted - and climbs pretty damned well. Durable simple pivots, beautiful workmanship, great geometry and standover. Nice stable cockpit without being too long. Got mine down to in the 23 pound range - so I ditched the HT altogether.

    glen
    I should have listened to you 4 months ago when I first asked this question. I rode it at Chalk Creek and you were dead on. That chattery, bouldery stuff would have hurt me (I'm a wimp) Did you not make it up for that?

    It's amazing how light the ASR is. With my wheels it's 24.3 lbs, but with my buddies Olympics it's in the mid 23's. I still love my Scale though. It will be a while before it goes away. I just feel so fast on that thing....

  7. #7
    mutaullyassuredsuffering
    Reputation: used2Bhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,050

    Scale

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    Welcome!

    I did a STXC race on Sunday. In my group, 4 out of 5 guys were on FS. 3 of the FS were ASRs. Maybe you should give it a shot in the short ones too.

    I gave the Scale the nod for Sundays STXC. It still feels like a bullet on that Nathrop course. I WAS beaten quite badly by a guy on an ASR... The other guy who beat me was on a 10 year old yellow thing that wieghed as much as me though....

  8. #8
    I'm a unitard!
    Reputation: mtbfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,524
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    I gave the Scale the nod for Sundays STXC. It still feels like a bullet on that Nathrop course.
    Yeah, I probably would have too.

  9. #9
    Mythical Creature
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    I should have listened to you 4 months ago when I first asked this question. I rode it at Chalk Creek and you were dead on. That chattery, bouldery stuff would have hurt me (I'm a wimp) Did you not make it up for that?

    It's amazing how light the ASR is. With my wheels it's 24.3 lbs, but with my buddies Olympics it's in the mid 23's. I still love my Scale though. It will be a while before it goes away. I just feel so fast on that thing....
    Couldn't make it to Chalk Creek this time - but will be throwin' down at Eldora.

    The longer faster XC races are perfect for the ASR, as it's stiff, light, and fast. The benefit of cusioning all that chattery stuff far outweighs a little extra weight IMO, and for me greatly reduces fatigue.

    For the STXC I'd have just locked out the fork and set the RP3 to "stiff" with some extra air in it as well - and presto! decent sprinter too... though it's no Scale!

    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •