mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Going to an ASR-sl from a Superlight

Just wondering if any of you guys have any experience or would like to comment on the difference I might feel changing from a SC Superlight to a Yeti ASR-sl. I race in masters, with some success on a good day, and the bike will also be used as for general trail bike duties. My local terain is rocky and technical, the 575 would be perfect, but it's really got to be good for racing. Spent quite a few years on Superlights and before that Heckers, but feel its time for a change. The ASR seems to suit my dimensions and requirements, unfortunately I probably won't have the opportunity to ride one before I buy.
    "Whatever it takes". Olympic 1500m swimmer Grant Hackett before Olympic final despite having the flu. He won. I love that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I honestly cannot compare it to a Superlight but that made-in-Golden frame is stiff and it is FAST. It's very well balanced and it is faster than you can imagine. Just start pedalling with power and that bike will rocket forward so fast, you will look down to see if there is a suspension on it. It is pedal efficient and plush without losing much energy to its suspension.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. I built it up to be a 27 lb trailbike and when i rode it instead of my 575, my buddy on his 575 hated it. Almost every time I would hit a straight, I could easily pull away and I really couldn't when we were both on our 575s so I did it a lot with my ASR-SL. It was a fun bike and I can only imagine what it would be like built down to be a racebike.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeeR
    unfortunately I probably won't have the opportunity to ride one before I buy.
    Try contacting Yeti about arranging for a demo. They have a pretty good fleet of demo bikes and you may be able to arrange for a demo to be sent to you. Worth asking before you spend a ton of money on a high end, boutique bike. You should also try contacting Turner, Ventanna, and Titus. I know you can demo a Ventanna for $100 (or you could last year when I was looking at a Ventanna, though I never went through with it).
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I were to build up a FS racebike and of course, short-travel FS is the only way I'd go, I would either get an AS-R SL frame or the new Ventana El Fuego. Either one is just deadly in the hands of a racer and both are superb frames built right here. I think they both make great trailbikes too, unlike many XC racers out there. Even if I have another $1,000 or $2,000 to put towards a frame, it would still be one of these two.

You can demo a Yeti (call them) and probably a Ventana through Competitive Cyclist or Ventana directly.

I'm a unitard!
    I love mine. Can't compare it to a superlight, but it is a great racer. I raced two different Epics before the ASR, and the ASR climbs and accelerates much better. I know that is hard to believe, but trust me.

Mine is in at 23.5 without stupid light stuff. I imagine I could get it down below 23 with just a little bit of effort.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks guys for the replys. The thing that gets me about the ASR is that you just don't hear anything negative about it, nothing. I'm actually thinking about a 2nd hand 2003 as a full bike or if that falls through I know of a good deal on a new 2005 frame. Apart from lack of warranty, is the any down sides to the Ti pivot frames compared to the carbon?
    "Whatever it takes". Olympic 1500m swimmer Grant Hackett before Olympic final despite having the flu. He won. I love that.

I'm a unitard!
    Thanks guys for the replys. The thing that gets me about the ASR is that you just don't hear anything negative about it, nothing. I'm actually thinking about a 2nd hand 2003 as a full bike or if that falls through I know of a good deal on a new 2005 frame. Apart from lack of warranty, is the any down sides to the Ti pivot frames compared to the carbon?
    Just the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had one of the early 2004 Ti pivot ones before they switched to carbon. I had no issues and still prefer Ti in that location. I talked to many who said they switched to carbon to save a few grams, including someone who worked at Yeti. No biggie there except I still prefer a Ti one over a carbon one. I rode it mainly in Colorado and some in the Midwest- had no issues with it ever.

I'm tellin' ya- you will be hard pressed to find a better trailbike in that travel range and yet have a bike that is one of the very best racers out there. It's a beauty of a frame. I would LOVE to find one just like mine in size Large. I sold it and it was a Medium.

mtbr member

Good job! yeti way or the highway

thats comparing rotten apples and oranges to to the earths natural gemstone turquazee,,ya feelin the force now luke

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Really like mine

Mine weighs 22.6lb in race trim with 500g tires - it is pretty heavily tuned for XC racing, but I ride it more and more for trianing too. I just don't enjoy riding my Blur at all anymore. I'm going to sell the Blur and may buy an ARC to be a sorta road, smooth XC race bike.

Probably the best thing about the ASR is the simplicity, reliability and maintainabilty. Other bikes might be as light and other might ride as well, but none compare for long term peace of mind.

Just wondering if any of you guys have any experience or would like to comment on the difference I might feel changing from a SC Superlight to a Yeti ASR-sl. I race in masters, with some success on a good day, and the bike will also be used as for general trail bike duties. My local terain is rocky and technical, the 575 would be perfect, but it's really got to be good for racing. Spent quite a few years on Superlights and before that Heckers, but feel its time for a change. The ASR seems to suit my dimensions and requirements, unfortunately I probably won't have the opportunity to ride one before I buy.
    M

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    22.6lbs! Wow, that's pretty seriously light. If you can get around to it I'd like to see your build list. I can't see myself throwing enough cash at it to get it that light but I will be trying to get it down. I have gone ahead and bought an ASR - it's a 2nd hand 2003 Ti pivot, medium, black, supposedly excellent condition. I'll be swapping some parts around with my Superlight to get the weight down a little from it's current trail bike spec. Hope to receive it in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    Mine weighs 22.6lb in race trim with 500g tires - it is pretty heavily tuned for XC racing, but I ride it more and more for trianing too. I just don't enjoy riding my Blur at all anymore. I'm going to sell the Blur and may buy an ARC to be a sorta road, smooth XC race bike.

Probably the best thing about the ASR is the simplicity, reliability and maintainabilty. Other bikes might be as light and other might ride as well, but none compare for long term peace of mind.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

build

I don't think I spent a lot of money in the sense that it cost lots less than full XTR builds which would weigh more.

Post yours after the first ride. BTW, it's a shame you can't keep the Superlight. It is nice having 2 bikes even if they are setup similarly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for posting that parts list Motivated. That's pretty impressive, I can't pick any component that could be improved from a weight/function point of view. That gives me something to aim for though I doubt I'll quite get there. I'll be happy to get to around the 24lb mark.

My ASR arrived yesterday. It's 2nd hand but I have to say I'm very happy with its condition, I really couldn't have asked for better, pretty much unmarked. Unfortunately its been raining constantly here (I'm in Sydney Australia) for the past couple of days so it'll be a while till I can put it to the test offroad.

The build is functional but quite heavy so I'll be swapping out some of my lighter parts from my Superlight before it see's any races. I need to make a decision on the fork. It currently has a RS Duke, I know very little about these having run Marzocchis and Fox for years. My Superlight has a Fox 80RLT on it so I'll probably think of selling both of these and installing a 100mm fork from Rockshox or Fox. I'd like to get peoples recommendations on whether to go for an RLT or a Reba, F100X's and Reba Worldcups are probably a bit above my price bracket. Any suggestions welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeeR; 08-08-2006 at 05:02 AM.