mtbr member

Getting an ASR-5 Alloy under 25lbs.

No reason to pick 25 lbs. other than the fact that it sounds absurd to have a 5" travel all-mountain bike under 25 lbs. Love it!

I test rode an ASR-5 carbon yesterday. It had the full XT build right off the Yeti website and, with my Eggbeater pedals, tipped the scale at 25.04 lbs. Incredible!

But I'm having trouble getting a good deal on the carbon frame. So instead of biting the bullet and paying full price, I'm considering the alloy frame, which is about $1300 cheaper. But I'd still like it to be a 25 lbs. bike.

The alloy is 0.75 lbs. heavier than the carbon, according to Yeti's site. Any ways to take that XT build and drop a pound?

I thought the DT Swiss X1600 wheels would be the easiest thing to replace for something lighter but they are surprisingly light at 1650g or so. Tires maybe? Tubeless? (the demo had tubed tires)
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Build it with the same pecs as the one you saw and pretend that the extra 3/4 pound doesn't exist.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Wheels and tires are quickest and best places to drop weight. 1650 grams isn't that light, so could shed weight there. And tires too, definitely tubeless. But with wheels, esp. tires, you have to balance weight with durability. I'm running rocket rons with snakeskin, a little over 500 grams with pretty good sidewall protection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The bottom line is it's already one of the lightest 5" frames out there. So all things equal, it will be your lightest option. Getting under 25? That's exactly what I shooting for but it won't happen.

ASR-5A Medium
    •Fox Float 120mm CDT
    •Full XT w/ 160mm rotors
    •Race Face Turbine crank
    •Race Face Stem 70mm
    •Race Face carbon bar
    •Cane Creek headset
    •Thomson Post
    •Crank Brothers Candy 2 pedals
    •and the killer... Crank Brothers Iodine wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You can drop almost a pound if you go 1x10 ... but then again what's your riding about?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I live in NC and I'm coming from a 3x7 setup and rarely used granny gear (22 teeth).
    If i did, i wasn't in it long. 32 teeth was the most common big ring i stayed in.

I have an 11-36 cassette, and I'm leaning 2x10 with 28/40 gearing. But it seems a lot of people run 26/38. So i can't decide what to get.

mtbr member
    I'm going 38/26 with 11-36 in the back. I'm also currently on a triple with a rarely used granny. My 2x10 low-low will be nearly the same ratio as my current granny.

I demo'd a 2x10 last weekend and its perfect for my rising style and terrain.