mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Future of Asr 5?

Wondering if anyone had any insight what they think is the future if the ASR 5? With SB technology, I am curious if it will trickle over to this model or the ASR 5 will retain its successful single pivot design?
    Any ideas?
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    I've thought that in a year or two, the 5 or 575 will remain as the last of the ASR series with the big top as their entry level and racer oriented offerings.

mtbr member
    It appears that their single pivot designs will stick around for the 100mm race bike category due to it's light weight. Switch suspension will be used in the longer travel bikes. The 575 sits in that middle ground in terms of affordability. That leaves the ASR 5. Will it get less expensive like the 575? Will it still be in demand with 29ers becoming more popular in the trail bike category? The 5 never picked up much momentum in my shop (in Utah), most everyone just went 575.

I guess that doesn't answer much, the success of the SB95 may very well determine the 5's future.
    Giant Reign Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP/ Rockshox Revelation
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    It appears that their single pivot designs will stick around for the 100mm race bike category due to it's light weight. Switch suspension will be used in the longer travel bikes. The 575 sits in that middle ground in terms of affordability. That leaves the ASR 5. Will it get less expensive like the 575? Will it still be in demand with 29ers becoming more popular in the trail bike category? The 5 never picked up much momentum in my shop (in Utah), most everyone just went 575.

I guess that doesn't answer much, the success of the SB95 may very well determine the 5's future.
    I thought the Big Top, with all the racers going to 29er HTs, would cannabalize the ASR and that a 5 or 575 would remain as their entry level non racer. Just speculation of course.

We have a lot of 5s here in Golden, one thanks to Go-Ride