mtbr member
    Jul 2004

fsa orbit extreme 1.5r headset on as-x

my headset's bearings are gone, it's a fsa big fat pig 1.5r and im using it with 2006 66rc2x 170mm, should be any problem fitting a fsa orbit xtreme pro 1.5r headset with my setup? (crown/frame spacing etc..)

mtbr member

should fit fine, but...

I'm running a '07 66 RC2X on my as-x, and I recently switched from a Fat Pig to an Orbit Extreme and the Orbit Extreme creeks like an SOB. Have a buddy who put one in his Intense 6.6 and his does the same thing. Reports are that the lower bearing wears out fairly quickly as well. I haven't had this problem yet but mine is very noisy.

If you can get a good deal on one I'd say don't worry about it, but for as much as they retail and if you are going to pay that, you might want to seek out another headset.

ciao -

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    what other options are there for 1.5 which reduce to 1 1/8 ?
    don't want something too pricy.

mtbr member
    I'm using the orbit extreme without problems. I'm using a totem two step and the flood gate knob took a chunk out of the deraileur housing in a crash not a big deal to me just thought I'd let you know.

Cane creek has a reduction head set also: the double xc
    Too fat for XC, and not skilled enough for FR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsphere
    what other options are there for 1.5 which reduce to 1 1/8 ?
    don't want something too pricy.

Cane Creek. I believe there are also a few options on pressing in reducers that would in turn take a standard headset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    is the oribt xtreme bad? i think it's one of the only things i can get here in Israel fast enough with a decent price.
    I got the big fat pig for more than a year and the bearing lasted until recently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    what headset do you run on your as-x ?

Phil from San Diego
    I have the Cane Creek DoubleXC and highly recommend it. It fits headtube perfectly and works flawlessly.

I'm also highly impressed with Cane Creek's customer service. I recently bought a new fork and wanted a new crown race. Ordered it direct from Malcom at Cane Creek and he tossed in 2 extra parts free of charge. I also asked him about some minor wear and tear on the bottom bearing. He put my mind at ease by explaining that the wearing was absolutely normal and told me he will send me a replacement bearing if it gets worse.

Anyway, check out the Double Xc or the Double Xflush.

Phil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I purchased a new bike this year in January that was fitted with the FSA Orbit extreme pro 1.5. Last month the lower bearing fell apart. I have been riding pretty hard mostly freeriding about 2X a week, but for the price I think it should have lasted a little longer than 8 months. I checked the FSA website and they say it has a 10 year warranty, but the catch is that you have to send it back to the place where you bought it and have them return it. Cost to have it removed and the cost for shipping isnt worth it. Im in Cali. the shop where i bought the bike is in Colorado so that doesnt work to well for me. Im trying a Cane this time. Lets see how it holds up to the abuse.
    L8R-
    FRr

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i didn't get to ride my as-x too much lately but getting the double xc this week