Thread: Fox Float X CTD

mtbr member
    May 2009

Fox Float X CTD

Anybody have anytime on the new Fox Float X? I'm still on the stock rp23 on the sb66c and not entirely happy with how its been from the start. I weigh about 150 with all my gear and the only way I can prevent blowing through the travel so easily is to pump up the PSI which in turn makes the shock lose its small bump sensitivity. I also want to improve the performance of the shock on long descents (fade free performance etc, consistency, etc.), I hear the new Float X remedies these pretty nicely along with some other things. Can anybody advise on experience?Fox Float X CTD-img_00211.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboardrider View Post
    Anybody have anytime on the new Fox Float X? I'm still on the stock rp23 on the sb66c and not entirely happy with how its been from the start. I weigh about 150 with all my gear and the only way I can prevent blowing through the travel so easily is to pump up the PSI which in turn makes the shock lose its small bump sensitivity. I also want to improve the performance of the shock on long descents (fade free performance etc, consistency, etc.), I hear the new Float X remedies these pretty nicely along with some other things. Can anybody advise on experience?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00211.jpg 
Views:	929 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	856599
    If you have set your sag properly on the shock, and you are blowing through the travel, then you need a spacer kit. This can be bought from mojo.

Basically this changes the air volume in the shock so that it gets 'stiffer' nearer the end of the travel.( more progressive) this means you can put less air in to make it feel plush without using all of the travel.

If you buy the float x, you will have the same issue.

I had this problem on the float ctd, and cured it with a spacer. Just bought a float x and back to the same problem,, so need a spacer.

The difference between the two, is that the float x will not get as hot on long descents. (Long Alpine stuff, not much in the uk) plus it's much more plush than the float ctd, yet is stiffer in climb mode.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybo99 View Post
    If you have set your sag properly on the shock, and you are blowing through the travel, then you need a spacer kit. This can be bought from mojo.

Basically this changes the air volume in the shock so that it gets 'stiffer' nearer the end of the travel.( more progressive) this means you can put less air in to make it feel plush without using all of the travel.

If you buy the float x, you will have the same issue.

I had this problem on the float ctd, and cured it with a spacer. Just bought a float x and back to the same problem,, so need a spacer.

The difference between the two, is that the float x will not get as hot on long descents. (Long Alpine stuff, not much in the uk) plus it's much more plush than the float ctd, yet is stiffer in climb mode.
    I thought this too, but... go about 10 PSI higher than you did in the standard float. I get my desired sag (~25%) and do not blow through the travel. Feels amazing. When I had the Float X at the same PSI as the standard float, I was not only blowing through the travel but the middle stroke support was lacking as well. Now it is perfect without the spacer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I second this. Out of the box my Float X blew through the travel and had no mid stoke support. Increasing the pressure did not work for me. Just made for a harsh feel. The air can shim helped but didnt completely remedy the issue for me.