mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Fox Float 34 - Increase travel from 120mm to 140mm?

Hi

I was just wondering if you could increase the travel of the Fox Float 34 fork on the SB-95 from 120mm to 140mm? If yes, how?

Thansk for replies

Root Master
    I've never looked inside a fork but from what I gather there is a spacer inside that limits the travel to 120mm. Remove the spacer and you have 140mm of travel.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the reply. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Another question, do you think the handling of the bike will be very different with 140mm? My concern is that with a Float (not Talas) the front will be a bit tall for climbing.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    yes.

I have done that to mine, it's actually not a huge deal. You have to pop the lowers off (no effect on the damper cart), drain the air out of the air spring, partially pull the bottom piston out of the air cart to expose the travel limiter, unsnap it from the piston rod, then reassemble the uppers. Re-mount the lowers, put 30 ml of 10 wt oil in the bottom of both legs, finish bolting everything together, go ride.

You may want to adjust saddle angle a bit, and maybe play around with h-bar height via spacers or stem flipping, up to you.

If you have significant mileage on the fork, I'd consider replacing the dust-wipers/etc/ at the top of the lowers.

For tools, you need a small allen to get the rebound knob off (2mm?), a 10mm and 15mm socket for the foot-nuts, I use a piece of wood and a small hammer to break the bottom of the rods free from the bottom of the lowers, a catch basin for the oil that will come out of the lowers, clean lint-free rags to clean up stuff after disassembly. I use a bit of Slick Honey on the inside of the dust wipers to help them slide at least initially. I use a syringe to put 30ml of oil in each leg after I have remounted the lowers, but before I have pushed the rods into the lowers and bolted them tight again.

In theory, you are supposed to replace the crush washers under the foot-nuts.

I also use blue loctite on the grub screw that holds the rebound knob in place.

You can get more detailed service instructions on the fox service site, it's not the easiest thing to wade through though.

I'm sure if you search around the MTBR suspension forum you'll find more details on Fox travel adjust of Float forks, it seems consistent from year to year in overall method at least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Wow, thanks for the reply bear! The fork is brand new. Do you ride the Float or the Talas? And how is the 140mm up front for you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I might be careful and contact Fox. I know in years past it was quite straightforward with spacers etc. but I think I remembering reading that on newer models (so it will depend on what year your fork is) if you want to increase travel you need to change the cartridge. Take a look at link below (which is about 120 float, but maybe still applicable). I'd just email or call Fox to be sure - they're very helpful in my experience.

2002-2012 & 2013 80 - 120 FLOAT/F-Series Travel Adjust

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have sent an email to Fox now so we'll see what they say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    I might be careful and contact Fox. I know in years past it was quite straightforward with spacers etc. but I think I remembering reading that on newer models (so it will depend on what year your fork is) if you want to increase travel you need to change the cartridge. Take a look at link below (which is about 120 float, but maybe still applicable). I'd just email or call Fox to be sure - they're very helpful in my experience.

2002-2012 & 2013 80 - 120 FLOAT/F-Series Travel Adjust
    You're correct. 2013 Floats have done away with simple spacers and now require purchase of a new plastic "shuttle" piece to alter travel.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Re: Fox Float 34 - Increase travel from 120mm to 140mm?

Mine is a 2013 ctd 34 float 29, fwiw. We ho knows which is shipping now.

140mm has slight but noticeably different tight/twisty effect, but certainly works great overall as and kills high speed stuff.

I live in NE PA so the extra bb clearance is also nice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So remowing the plastic spacer is not enough? If I need to replace it with a smaller one, where can I buy this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    if you want someone knowledgeable and great to talk with call dan at pacific cycle and he will help you out!

number is 831-471-2453.

he is a great guy and walked my thru building a fox 32 fork without prior knowledge of ever doing it.
    The fork turned out fantastic with his help and the answer is yes, this can be done,

Just thought talking with Dan may help also..

good luck, you can do it..