mtbr member

Fox 36-140mm or RS PIke 140 ??

I have the choice of installing a Fox 36 or RS Pike , both in 140mm configurations. The weights are very similar and I am getting them at the same price. Which would you choose and why ?? This will be on a SB95C.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have experience with the 13 Fox 34 140 and 14 RS Pike RCT3 SA but not really any on the Fox 36, however I can't imagine it getting any better in a 140mm travel fork then what I have with the RS Pike on the front.
    13 SB95c/XT/EnveAM CK/RF NextSL/PikeRCT3SA/CCDBAcs/KS Lev
    15 ASRc/RS-1 120mm/EnveM60/RF NextSL/XTR 1x10 1UP

mtbr member
    That FOX 36 looks MASSIVE. I have only heard great things about the PIKE. I am getting either for $650...from what I heard the PIKE is better at slower speeds and the FOX at big hits and higher speeds....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've had a Pike for 6 month, great fork. I got a killer deal on Fox 36 & I've been on that for about a month. The Fox 36 is a slightly better fork. It just does everything better with exception of climbing as the Fox doesn't have the easy switch on top & the Fox is slightly more difficult to take the wheel off.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I have decided that the FOX 36 is just too much fork and since I am trying my darn best to spec light but strong components, I will go with the RS Pike. I spent a lot of money today on the Race Face Next SL crank set with direct drive chain ring and I do not want to add back the weight I just spent so much money to remove.

The FOX 36 is a great fork, but I would only use its suiper DH capability maybe once or twice a year when I travel out West. Why carry all of that extra weight for 2% of the riding conditions ??

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomik Carbon View Post
    Thanks. I have decided that the FOX 36 is just too much fork and since I am trying my darn best to spec light but strong components, I will go with the RS Pike. I spent a lot of money today on the Race Face Next SL crank set with direct drive chain ring and I do not want to add back the weight I just spent so much money to remove.

The FOX 36 is a great fork, but I would only use its suiper DH capability maybe once or twice a year when I travel out West. Why carry all of that extra weight for 2% of the riding conditions ??
    Atomik - How do you like the Pike on the SB95? I'm trying to decide between the fox 36 and the Pike for mine. I can get the pike slightly cheaper, but I've heard the 36 is an amazing fork at only a slight weight penalty.

Anyone else who has experience on the 29er pike or 36 please chime in. I'm looking at either 140 or 150 forks. I pedal up to have fun on the way down so I'm slightly biased toward DH performance. I also ride fairly aggressively if that changes the feedback.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Depends on your weight terrain and how you ride. For me at 250 riding PNW tech the pike is way too flexy. Don't sleep on X-Fusion the HLR damper tops either Fox or RS in my experience.

mtbr member
    36 is stiffer and has much better mid stroke support. What I used to think of as plush with the Pike I would now describe as wallow. It is a subtle, but significant difference. The 36 is also much more adjustable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've heard that the Axle to Crown on the 150 Pike is the same as the 140 Fox 34, so I went with the 150 Pike on my SB95c. IDK if thats the same case with the 36.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomik Carbon View Post
    I have the choice of installing a Fox 36 or RS Pike , both in 140mm configurations. The weights are very similar and I am getting them at the same price. Which would you choose and why ?? This will be on a SB95C.
    Aren't you in Florida? There is no way (from what I know of FL riding) you would really need either fork. The 36 would be massive overkill if you're more worried about weight. The Pike is good, rides high in the stroke and has a pretty respectable weight. Hell, I'd consider an even-lighter option from RS like the SID RCT3 that's even lighter. Or if you like to spend a lot of money, the RS1.