mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Fox 34 150? 160? Sb-66

Does this fork even exist? According to Fox they only make a 34 160 for 26" wheels. When I searched for an answer, some said Yeti is shimming them down to 150? I'm confused. The build specs on the site say 34 150.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the 2013 Fox only comes in a 32x150. All of the float's can be modified for travel though so technically you could run the 160mm at 150mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Fox puts a spacer in the left leg below the air spring per Yeti specs that reduces the travel of the 34 fork to 150mm. This is something that can easily be removed to make the fork 160mm if you so choose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks smithrider. That solves that, now I'll just have to remove that bugger when I get it.

mtbr member
    Are you building or buying a package from somewhere?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    A 34 or 36 160mm shipped from from Yeti will be shimmed to 150. If you buy it from Fox it will be 160mm.

Yeti lowers the 34 160mm fork to 150mm because they feel the frame geometry with a 32/150 or 34/160 shimmed is better suited for most riders.

I think the Talas is a perfect fit for a bike like the SB66. The bike is suited for a really wide range of riding. The SB66 is a monster downhill with a 160mm fork. Drop it to 120 and it pedals and climbs like a champ. I haven't found a frame that does everything so well like the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I do believe that the black 34 150mm fork comes from Fox to Yeti as OEM only. You will not be able to get this from either of them directly, though. I stumbled upon one on PinkBike last September to replace the F32 150 I bought for my SB66c. It magically shipped from a Yeti employee. It was new in factory packaging... did not appear to have been touched/modified in-house.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Fox puts a spacer in the left leg below the air spring per Yeti specs that reduces the travel of the 34 fork to 150mm. This is something that can easily be removed to make the fork 160mm if you so choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    A 34 or 36 160mm shipped from from Yeti will be shimmed to 150. If you buy it from Fox it will be 160mm.
    Hey guys-

This is incorrect, actually. For 2013, Fox changed the design of their air spring, so it can no longer be changed by adding/removing spacers. Now, you have to buy a new air spring assembly if you'd like to change travel. We were bummed to learn of this change, but Fox assures us that the new design creates an even more reliable and dialed-in air spring.

FYI,

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Can one purchase the OEM fork when buying an SB66A/C frameset from a dealer? I did this last year with a Big Top and that also included the headset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSDP View Post
    Can one purchase the OEM fork when buying an SB66A/C frameset from a dealer? I did this last year with a Big Top and that also included the headset.
    Yeti wouldn't help my shop with this... but ymmv. Maybe JP can chime in on policy.

EDIT: That's actually a good question -- I was too quick with my reply. Yeti wouldn't sell my local shop/dealer the OEM 34 for a 66c frame I bought elsewhere. I'm not sure if they'll sell you the frame & fork, or if you need a full build kit.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSDP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m1neral View Post
    Yeti wouldn't help my shop with this... but ymmv. Maybe JP can chime in on policy.

EDIT: That's actually a good question -- I was too quick with my reply. Yeti wouldn't sell my local shop/dealer the OEM 34 for a 66c frame I bought elsewhere. I'm not sure if they'll sell you the frame & fork, or if you need a full build kit.
    Hey guys-

It's my understanding that this is actually a Fox policy, not our decision. We're allowed to sell forks only as part of a complete build, with very few exceptions. The ARC-BT 'frame set' is the only exception that I'm aware of, mostly because finding a proper fork for that bike was pretty difficult when it first came out. Since then, it's become exponentially easier, but I think that deal has kind of been 'grand-fathered' in.

FYI,

JP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post

It's my understanding that this is actually a Fox policy, not our decision. We're allowed to sell forks only as part of a complete build, with very few exceptions.

JP
    Definitely a bummer. The ever-more-expensive SB gets even more expensive to build if you want to run a Fox fork. This sucks.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by bart.taylor.sucks View Post
    Definitely a bummer. The ever-more-expensive SB gets even more expensive to build if you want to run a Fox fork. This sucks.
    I'm not sure I understand this post. The 66A frame has remained at the same price since 2012, and all of our builds include the highest-end Fox 34 (Kashima/CTD-Adjust/15mm). Am I missing something here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this post. The 66A frame has remained at the same price since 2012, and all of our builds include the highest-end Fox 34 (Kashima/CTD-Adjust/15mm). Am I missing something here?
    Hey John, No offense meant here, but it's my understanding that the price of the carbon frame is up $200 and if you want to run a Fox fork at 150 (on a custom build), you'll now have to buy that air spring as well? I know that the fork issue is totally out of your hands, but this frame has been a spendy one to build relative to its competition since it's release and my point is just that it's becoming even more so.

I demoed a 66A back in the fall, really enjoyed it, and have been looking forward to getting my hands on a 66C in the spring since then. I understand that Yeti is specing the Kashima 34 across all of its factory builds, but the choice of 3x10 drivetrains and wheels that don't seem ideal for this frame across the Enduro and Race builds had been pushing me toward a custom build. I know that it's not possible to spec factory kits that are ideal for every rider, but the component packages offered for all but the Pro level kit don't seem like they're the best-suited to what most guys want to see on this frame.

Just my opinion.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Ahh, I get it now.

Regarding the price on the 66C, unfortunately it's an expensive bike to build (more so than we originally anticipated). The first issue was that we switched the rear shock from the Fox RP23 to a CTD-Adjust (they're highest-end model). As you can imagine, this drove cost up. The other factor was that laying up that carbon to accommodate the eccentric is a very time consuming and labor-intensive process, but then again, it's one of the critical characteristics that gives the bike such a unique ride. In our opinion, we feel like it outperforms the competition pretty well, but we understand that budgets are tight and sometimes that forces difficult decisions.

Regarding the spec of our kits, you hit the nail on the head - it's really tough to spec a frame that both hits a certain price point and satisfies every customer. I have been passing along your guys' thoughts and feelings to our product management team, so hopefully we can institute some of these changes for you guys in the near future.

As always, thanks for your opinion. Some healthy/polite debate on these sorts of things is always welcome.

JP
    Last edited by John P.; 01-22-2013 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bart.taylor.sucks View Post
    I know that the fork issue is totally out of your hands, but this frame has been a spendy one toI understand that Yeti is specing the Kashima 34 across all of its factory builds, but the choice of 3x10 drivetrains and wheels that don't seem ideal for this frame across the Enduro and Race builds had been pushing me toward a custom build. I know that it's not possible to spec factory kits that are ideal for every rider, but the component packages offered for all but the Pro level kit don't seem like they're the best-suited to what most guys want to see on this frame.
    Believe me, I know building your own with hand chosen parts...there is nothing better. However, just throwing this out there...have you talked with a LBS about swapping certain parts out (wheel set, bars, crankset, etc.) for usually a minimal price difference? A good LBS should do this for you as that has been my experience.

Again, not to take away from the Holy Grail of a personal build as Yeti should consider your suggestions to maintain that "bike company for the riders" feeling, just providing options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    Believe me, I know building your own with hand chosen parts...there is nothing better. However, just throwing this out there...have you talked with a LBS about swapping certain parts out (wheel set, bars, crankset, etc.) for usually a minimal price difference? A good LBS should do this for you as that has been my experience.

Again, not to take away from the Holy Grail of a personal build as Yeti should consider your suggestions to maintain that "bike company for the riders" feeling, just providing options.
    It's hard to beat getting a complete bike in most cases because manufacturer can get parts much cheaper than we can, and inevitably it seems like there are a bunch of parts that won't swap over from your old bike because of the growing list of standards for derailleur mounts, axles, etc.

So here's what I did. I bought the SB66 complete and swapped over my 2x drivetrain, wheels, and brakes which were all better than the stock build. I put the parts off of the yeti onto my old bike and sold it as a complete bike with new parts which fetched more than I would have gotten for the frame alone, and was easier than selling each part individually.

Considering the difference between the sb66 frame and fork and the complete bike with the Enduro build was only about $500, it seemed like a cost effective and hassle free way to go. Plus I have a black Float .