mtbr member

Fox 34 130 on SB-95

I bought a SB-95 frame in December and have started building it up. My fork is a 2013 Fox 34 140 CTD model. I called Fox to purchase the spacers to decrease the travel to 120 and was told that the 2013 model has a new air spring assembly and that the travel can only be reduced to 130 mm.

I went ahead and ordered the parts to convert it to 130 but now I'm questioning if this will be sufficient for me. I am coming off a Yeti ASR with 100mm of travel and was looking forward to running 120mm on the SB based on my riding style, a ride on my buddy's SB-95 (at 120) and what I have read about the bike. My fork's travel can be reduced to 120mm but I'll need to buy the 2012 air spring assembly and some other parts.

Has anybody set their SB-95 up with 130mm of travel? If so, what were your impressions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great timing--I was about to write a similar post, but I'm considering going from the 120 to 130 (cutting a spacer down if necessary to hit the sweet mid-spot).

120 has awesome handling, and climbs steep switchbacks without too much effort. But I think just a tiny bit more travel would balance things out better, and a half degree slacker head tube angle wouldn't hurt either.

Worst case scenario, just slam your stem lower. I think you'll like the 130, but I'd love to hear from someone who is already doing it!
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've had mine at 120 and 140, and at 140 the tight-turn & climbing difference is marginal - noticeable to someone sensitive but marginal - so I'd imagine the difference from 120 to 130 would be extremely slight.

I ran my bike with the fork at 140 for the first 900 miles, then switched to 120 after doing a regular service check on the fork just out of curiosity and got another 600 miles on it before winter set in. I am really happy with the bike both ways and am currently struggling to decide which way to run it.

Maybe I should make a 10mm spacer and run it at 130 and split the difference.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input. I'm going to build it up with 130 and play with stem height.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This review of the bike very briefly talks about 120 vs. 140.

Yeti SB95 - Tested - Pinkbike