mtbr member

Found my creak!! Woohoo! (ASR-5a)

About six months ago, my fantastic ASR-5 (a.k.a Best Bike Ever Made) developed a creak while pedaling. Sometimes it was a creak and sometimes it was a definite knock. It wasn't just under hard pedaling, either. It happened with moderate or even light pedaling.

I tried the basic stuff -- cranks, shock pivots, derailleur hanger, and nothing helped. But it wasn't consistent. Sometimes it would creak loudly, sometimes it would knock loudly, and sometimes it was silent.

But it's been getting worse lately so I took more aggressive actions and disassembled the entire shock linkage area, including the dogbone. That's when I found the problem. With the shock and dogbone completely removed and the rear wheel supported by a rope tying it to the seatpost, I could produce the knock simply by pushing the (now disconnected) carbon seat stays side to side. The only thing connecting the rear triangle to the bike, at this point, is the bottom pivot. I'd never touched that.

So I removed the crank, removed the bottom pivot, cleaned, lubed, and tightened everything back. Silent once again!

Go me.

That said, I think I know what specifically caused the knock. The right bearing in the bottom pivot felt a bit loose as I was cleaning. I couldn't pop it out by hand but it definitely wasn't as tight as the left bearing. I'm not sure how long this "fix" will last but I'm wondering if I need a rebuild kit for new bearings or if the actual rear triangle is worn at that point. the bike has about 1500 miles on it -- all dirt, all singletrack.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    About six months ago, my fantastic ASR-5 (a.k.a Best Bike Ever Made) developed a creak while pedaling. Sometimes it was a creak and sometimes it was a definite knock. It wasn't just under hard pedaling, either. It happened with moderate or even light pedaling.

I tried the basic stuff -- cranks, shock pivots, derailleur hanger, and nothing helped. But it wasn't consistent. Sometimes it would creak loudly, sometimes it would knock loudly, and sometimes it was silent.

But it's been getting worse lately so I took more aggressive actions and disassembled the entire shock linkage area, including the dogbone. That's when I found the problem. With the shock and dogbone completely removed and the rear wheel supported by a rope tying it to the seatpost, I could produce the knock simply by pushing the (now disconnected) carbon seat stays side to side. The only thing connecting the rear triangle to the bike, at this point, is the bottom pivot. I'd never touched that.

So I removed the crank, removed the bottom pivot, cleaned, lubed, and tightened everything back. Silent once again!

Go me.

That said, I think I know what specifically caused the knock. The right bearing in the bottom pivot felt a bit loose as I was cleaning. I couldn't pop it out by hand but it definitely wasn't as tight as the left bearing. I'm not sure how long this "fix" will last but I'm wondering if I need a rebuild kit for new bearings or if the actual rear triangle is worn at that point. the bike has about 1500 miles on it -- all dirt, all singletrack.
    I love my ASR5c too, but creaks were to pop up every so often. I'd grease everything and it'd be quiet for a ride or two... until I found the culprit... Removable dropouts!
    Glad to hear that thing is silent again... it's a killer ride.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Yup - the rear "chip" system dropouts are a common cause of creaking. Found mine the hard way after replacing 2 bottom brackets for nothing.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member

Found my creak!! Woohoo! (ASR-5a)

Unfortunately, when I went to investigate the chip system as a possible creaking cause, I discovered both of the screw heads were partially stripped. They aren't very deep anyway so I was worried about making then worse by removing them.

Can I buy replacement screws without having to buy a whole new chip set?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Congrats! I cannot stand creaks. I purposely avoid getting any water around the suspension system. Nothing ruins a nice quiet solo ride, than a "creak, creak, creeeeeeek"....
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Unfortunately, when I went to investigate the chip system as a possible creaking cause, I discovered both of the screw heads were partially stripped. They aren't very deep anyway so I was worried about making then worse by removing them.

Can I buy replacement screws without having to buy a whole new chip set?
    I found Yeti head tube badge screws (which are irregular) at my local Fastenal. Try them first if you can.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.