Fall Branch Felon

Fork suggestions for my ASR

I'm looking to eventually upgrade to a newer 100mm fork on my ASR.

Any suggestions?

If you suggest something expensive (over $600), then give me a cheaper alternative as well.

Thanks

(I've looked at an R7 from my LBS for $300......some Fox shocks........and I like the looks of the White Brothers)
    "That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger"

Haro WERX XCR
    Ibis Alibi
    Interloc Scandium Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Marzocchi Marathon XC on mine and I love it. I had a marathon SL and that was nice too but I prefer the XC. I think a Fox Vanilla would be great too- you just have to remove the spacer and reduce it to 100mm travel. I have that fork on my 575 and it is really nice as well. They both track well and are plush. There is nothing like a really nice fork when you hit some gnarly trails. They are reliable and hold up really well.

Fall Branch Felon
    What makes you say the Vanilla? Price, or a certain advantage over the Float line-up?

Haro WERX XCR
    Ibis Alibi
    Interloc Scandium Elite

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi Toy'
    If you can spend the money go for Fox F100X, if on a budget I think the RS Reba takes some beating.
    Chaser.

Rat Fink
    An LBS had a Jamis demo recently and I road a Dakar XC Pro with an F100X. In the parking lot, I thought the thing was pumped up way to high for me but the first rock I rode over, the SPV valve opened and it sucked it up as smooth as my TALAS. I really like the way it worked and I didn't really get time to dial it in. It's the fork I'd spec if I was building ASR right now.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm runing a Vanilla R set to 100mm on my ARC at pesent and if I do what i plan and purchase an ASRsl (dependant upon a second shot at a 575 to see if the crap ride I had last time was a one off bad setup or really is how the 575's feel) then I'll be transferring that to the new ride. Plush, not too heavy, plush and pretty cheap. Oh and did I mention plush? God I love having a fork without SPV!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    While the 575 cannot match the snappy acceleration of the ASR-SL, it is a really good ride. I think it rides better than the Five Spot and it's only the Ventana X-5 that I would buy as a next bike

I have both the ASR-SL and the 575 and you may have had a bad setup on the rear shock especially. I have a Vanilla RLC on the 575 and the bike is a lot of fun and tracks extremely well. My buddy has a Stumpjumper Expert and he like my 575 a lot better for its f overall feel/ride and climbing ability.

The ASR-SL has a Marathon XC and it feels great too- maybe not as plush at the Vanilla but still very precise and plush. For a XC fork, it's hard to beat these two though Fox does make a couple of others that people love.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The 575 was a top spec build that was supplied as a testride loaner rig by one of the local stores. We used the Yeti pressure suggestion as a starting point but no matter what, the bike simply felt wrong (more sag, less sag, faster or slower rebound on the RP3, didn't seem to make much difference)

Somehow, the bike had the feeling of being sluggish (in fact, it wasn't, it was within 5 seconds of the ASRsl around a 5 minute circuit) but still feeling sketchy in the back end with a tendancy to oversteer/come unstuck at the rear on corners. I also found that i felt like i was sitting very tall in the saddle as compared to my ARC with 100mm and flatbars.

Fall Branch Felon
    Umm.................why are we talking about 575s?

Haro WERX XCR
    Ibis Alibi
    Interloc Scandium Elite

mtbr member
    May 2004

Apologies, 575 was off topic tangent.

My bad. It was in response to Flyers query as to if the one I rode had a faulty setup. should have titled it as off topic.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

lots of good forks out now

There are several good forks out now. I think you just need to ride them and decide which works best for your style. Many racers like the R7, and the Reba seems like a great race/trail choice, then the Fox is the default choice - although they are spendy and a bit heavy. I think a great option would be a lightly used or OEM removal Fox 100X and send it to Push. Total should easily meet your budget. An alternative, very unique option would be the 2006 Pace RC39XC. Be sure to consider that the ASR kicks ass when pedalling out of the saddle and your fork needs to work with that.

Personally I have a Noleen MegaAir on my ASR. It has started leaking, but I still really like this fork.

Quote Originally Posted by toydeluxe
    I'm looking to eventually upgrade to a newer 100mm fork on my ASR.

Any suggestions?

If you suggest something expensive (over $600), then give me a cheaper alternative as well.

Thanks

(I've looked at an R7 from my LBS for $300......some Fox shocks........and I like the looks of the White Brothers)
    M

Uncle

Another vote for the Vanilla

MMmmmm.... Vanilla....

Just feels great on my Kokopelli. I do miss my 'zocchi's ETA, but anyone will be hardpressed to talk me out of that buttery, coil-fork ride. Sure the lock out crapped out, but who needs one on the front anyway?

Mmmm..... Vanilla...
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Vanilla is sweet indeed, especially at the 100mm travel setting. That's what I'm getting ready to do- put my 575's Vanilla on the ASR-SL after converting to 100mm. Here's the problem with the 2007 Vanilla- it is NOT convertible according to Fox. It stays at 140mm.

I see a couple of 2006 forks on Ebay every now and then. They go for around $450-$460 new. I think the used ones go for $250 - $350 depending on condition.
    Last edited by Flyer; 06-09-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Gittyup!
    What's your Vanilla travel at now? Just curious, as I have a Marathon S (coil over) on my ASR-SL and it's a 120mm that feels a lot like the Vanilla in terms of butta-factor. The extra 20mm of travel slows the steering a *tiny* bit, but the bike still maintains it's snappy handling. I really like the feel. Had the same set-up on my old Superlight as well, so I'm used to the resulting change in geometry. Just gives me a little more margin for error when the going gets tough. If I was racing, I probably wouldn't run it, but for all around trail use, it's the cats meow.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    The Vanilla is sweet indeed, especially at the 100mm travel setting. That's what I'm getting ready to do- put my 575's Vanilla on the ASR-SL after converting to 100mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, the Vanilla is at 130mm but it's currently on my 575, not the ASR-SL. I don't like the way the Marathon XC handles at 120mm on my ASR-SL. It's a bit flexy at 120 and not as precise as it is at 100mm. It saps me of a bit of confidence at times. When I have it at 100mm, it's just fine. The thing is that I ride my ASR-SL when I ride with fast guys on their XC racers. When I'm flying around like that fast, the XC has to be set at 100mm or I find my front end wandering. When I'm riding at less than breakneck speed (according to me) even the 120mm setting seems okay and the 100mm is precise enough

However, I'm planning on putting the Vanilla on the ASR-SL and setting it at 100mm of travel. I think the Vanilla will be a lot stiffer at 100mm than the XC at 100mm.

Fall Branch Felon
    That bike is designed to run a 100mm fork, regardless

Haro WERX XCR
    Ibis Alibi
    Interloc Scandium Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is definitely designed for 100mm. Any higher and the geometry changes enough to make the front end lighter and unbalances the bike a bit.

I've seen racers run 80mm on their ASRs and I'm sure that works just fine but anything over 100mm takes something away from the strong points of this frame.

Beep, Beep...
    Flyer,

You are completely right. Anything higher than 100 mm will unbalance the bike !!!. I had an ASR-SL that was running a Marathon SL and was fine. I have changed the fork, running now a Fox F100X and the overall performance of the bike is quite better. Now, it is a better climber (quite better) and still a very nice descender. I strongly recommend a 100 mm fork for this bike. If something higher is used then you will not take advantages of this bike´s great design !!!.

Cheers,

Fidel.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    It is definitely designed for 100mm. Any higher and the geometry changes enough to make the front end lighter and unbalances the bike a bit.

I've seen racers run 80mm on their ASRs and I'm sure that works just fine but anything over 100mm takes something away from the strong points of this frame.

Gittyup!
    Yup, she's designed for a 100mm for sure, and it's probably pretty taboo to run a 120 on a 4" travel full-on race bike. But it's what I hard in the parts bin at the time, so I'm runnin' w/ it I can't say that the extra 20mm makes it feel unbalanced in any way though. I've ridden it w/ both (100 and 120), and personally, prefer the 120 for all day trail rides. Still carves turns like mad and flicks w/ precision. For me, it's the best of both worlds between a 575 and ASR-SL for the all around XC rider that leans more towards the aggressive side of the trail. Until Yeti comes out w/ a 475, that's how I'll roll

Quote Originally Posted by vizcaino
    Flyer,

You are completely right. Anything higher than 100 mm will unbalance the bike !!!. I had an ASR-SL that was running a Marathon SL and was fine. I have changed the fork, running now a Fox F100X and the overall performance of the bike is quite better. Now, it is a better climber (quite better) and still a very nice descender. I strongly recommend a 100 mm fork for this bike. If something higher is used then you will not take advantages of this bike´s great design !!!.

Cheers,

Fidel.