Thread: Flat tire fun

Who is John Galt?

Flat tire fun

Was riding my favorite trail today, coming hard around the turn when all of a sudden the bike took its own kind of turn and launched me over the bars. Good old flat front tire and my first ever! Fortunately I landed in some cedar droppings so no damage done. What's your thinking on flat fixes -- patch it or pitch it? I could do either, have a big stack of new tubes someone gave me and also a patch kit. Also wondering if you can refill those little 16 gram threaded CO2 containers? Thery are kind of pricey and I blew two getting out of the woods.
    What, me hurry?

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

The pump is your friend.

the pump is your friend because:
    1. it works.
    2. you can fill up your tube as much as little as you want.
    3. can stick it in your friend's wheel for much entertainment.
    4. not some wasteful little metal thingie that you have to throw away.
    5. once you buy it, that's it (unless it's old and you need to buy replacement parts).
    6. doesn't leak out overnight.

CO2 tends to be used when time is of the essence, like in a race. Not really practical for trail riding. If something goes wrong with it, high probability of being SOL.

Oni

mtbr member
    I'd patch, but I'm cheap. I save the spare tubes for when the old tube is hosed... Well that's if I ever go back to tubes.

No you can't refill CO2 carts - like I said I'm cheap, the only time I use them is in a race or a really long ride where I don't feel like pumping. If you don't race I'd get a mountain morph with the gauge and forget about CO2.

If you do race hopefully your inflator can take unthreaded carts. If not get one that can, and get a case of 12g unthreaded carts from walmart or ***** or some other store that sells paintball stuff. They are generally $1 or so a piece there. It's funny how much we pay for "bike" versions of stuff (don't get me started on Stan's sealant). Hopefully you already know this, but you should practice a couple times inflating with CO2, as you experenced you only have so many tries, and you can make things worse. I've seem people try to inflate with the valve down and dump liquid CO2 into their tubes... They tend not to work too well after that.

In my mind, I can do it!
    For time constraints or it's just plain hot, replace the tube and patch the old one later to be used as your next replacement tube. Patching is easy but it takes longer to patch than it does to throw a new tube on there and go.

Those little pumps work but slowly. I have a CO2 but have never used it and probably won't unless it is in a race or something.

Hi!!!
    Most of the time I carry a spare tube and just throw that in if I get a flat and then try to patch up the other tube when I get home.

I just hate getting flats period.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Who is John Galt?
    I carry a topeak Mountain Morph on epic rides but for the local trail just throw in th e CO2 just in case. It's a stacked loop so I'm never very far from the parking lot. Guess I'll see how th epatched tube holds out and keep a frsh one in the pack. thanks for the advice.

Jim
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    that was your first flat???? how does this happen??

anyway, my tip: get the biggest non-floor pump that you can fit in your camelback.

Longer is better...or at least that's what your wife told me.

Who is John Galt?
    That was my first flat -- I've been running Panaracer Fires, and even though these are heavy dudes they seem to be bullet proof. This one was on the Nevegals and the thorn went through a knobby. Most of my riding has been on dirt or granite and no thorns. Earlier this summer four of us took an epic ride and we all prepared for flats. No one had a flat and the other three said this was the first time they had ridden that trail without a flat. I must have good tire karma.

Man, I 've been wondering why my wife is encouraging me to go ride. Could be that pump of yours or the $100,000 life insurance policy!

What, me hurry?