mtbr member
    Oct 2012

finally got my yeti 575 done....

Well thanks to mtbr and ebay and craigslist I did a budget build of a 07 yeti 575.

Frame was stripped and powdercoated white and then the build began.

I did all shimano group either xtr or xt with a 3x9 assembly, xt shifters, new jagwire cables, mounted on 680mm easton monkey lite carbon bars with esi chunky grips and answer limited 31.8 x 35mm stem

Shimano xt rims and hubs, with kenda tubless tires and kmc chain.

2012 fox 36 float forks up front with the fox rp23 rear shock and aliminum rear triangle, xt front and rear derailleurs.

straitline pedals mounted to a m960 xtr crank with new chainrings. custom graphics, shimano 180mm rotors with avid ultimate brakes.

Its came a long way, should be a blast to ride and was done for just over $1000.00 including all components,frame and all items are either brand new or new take off items from other bikes, other than the xtr crank.

Thanks to the ones who have helped , now if you can keep me from breaking my ass.. LOL.finally got my yeti 575 done....-framefoam.jpgfinally got my yeti 575 done....-frame-cleaned.jpgfinally got my yeti 575 done....-framefinished.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finally got my yeti 575 done....-yeti2.jpg  

finally got my yeti 575 done....-yeti3.jpg  

finally got my yeti 575 done....-yeti5.jpg  

finally got my yeti 575 done....-yeti6.jpg  

mtbr member

finally got my yeti 575 done....

Very nice looking bike. Nice job on the white.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks hangtime, I was going to go crazy colors but thought the white was so clean and if I ever decide to sell it would be more accepted than something wild.

That white powdercoat is three coats thick and actually cost me 30.00 yes 30 dollars to do it.

I could barely paint for that and have much less of a finish..

mtbr member
    Nice bike!
    Can you elaborate on the stripping process? Chemicals, time, elbow grease, ect?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Nice bike!
    Can you elaborate on the stripping process? Chemicals, time, elbow grease, ect?
    Stripping the paint was easy, I did an orange paint stripper from home depot, it worked awesome and took overnight.

I then took 3 grades of sand paper from 400 grit to 600 grit and sanded by hand, took a few hours at best.

then for good measure I took "JV's" best aluminum cleaner and sprayed that on let it set for time recommended and simply washed off then ran a brown or green scotchbrite pad over the whole thing.

Then off to the powdercoater and about a week later walahhh it was awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    finally got my yeti 575 done....-framefoam.jpgfinally got my yeti 575 done....-frame-cleaned.jpgfinally got my yeti 575 done....-framefinished.jpg one more thing to add, I did have some corrosion on this frame from dissimilar metals such as the bolts and aluminum in contact from one another, I sanded those areas very well and some pits still remained.

Since they were deep enough we knew the powdercoat would not fill those areas so I filled them myself, I used good old JB weld.

The JB weld can withstand the heat process of the powdercoat oven and sands down easy enough, kind of like bondo.

It did an awesome job and you can even tell it had any pits, corrosion or any defects of any kind, that process probably took the longest..

mtbr member
    Man that is awesome, its always inspiring to see when somebody takes the time, and gives an older frame some attention. I did want to ask, did the powdercoater put plugs in the bottom Bracket and Headtube, or did you have to chase the threads or reface the Headtube?

Nice Build

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    Man that is awesome, its always inspiring to see when somebody takes the time, and gives an older frame some attention. I did want to ask, did the powdercoater put plugs in the bottom Bracket and Headtube, or did you have to chase the threads or reface the Headtube?

Nice Build
    The powdercoat guy plugged all areas, and actually used tape in some areas.
    I did have one small spot where some powdercoat got past and had to clean threads.
    But all in all the crucial areas were covered, which is very important, that stuff is super tough..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Great job. Where did u get the stickers

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I basically had a photo on my phone, showed them to the graphics place and came up with the decals.
    They are not perfect to what yeti had but so close it would take a yeti fan to tell them from stock.

EDR

Re: finally got my yeti 575 done....

Gorgeous. I am NOT usually a big fan of white but that thing is clean. Nice job!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Tanks EDR I appreciate it. I really wanted to go lime or some other wild color but I visioned that white , so went for it..

EDR

You know. The best thing about it is I don't think white was offered in 07. So that bike not only looks great but is very unique.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    EDR that's something I didn't think about. when I thought lime or wild colors I thought they didn't have those but never thought about white.
    I was just thinking something clean looking, so thanks for making me think.

Im going to have to look into that.
    Take care buddy..

EDR

If I remember correctly the 07 models came in orange black turquoise and pewter only.

Sick bike dude. Later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Very nice! It sounds like you shopped hard to put that build together for such a low cost. I love the white!

AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    shopped real hard, trust me my wife is glad thats over.

One thing she didnt know is that I was quietly doing the same for here, but her bike is not a yeti I bought her a titus racer x.
    Its also near completion and looks awesome..

Thanks for the compliment...