mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Expert opinions needed for 575 build

Hello everyone.

I am building up a 575 and need some help. I weigh in at about 175 lbs and I will be using the bike as an "all mountain" bike I guess. I currently own a Bullit and it is just too heavy to pedal long uphills for me (it wieghs in at around 40 pounds). The trails are ride are very technical and are mostly uphill with some short downhill parts with no big drops.

I have been researching a lot and unfortunatly I am more confused then ever. I got a bunch of information from (the great) mtbr forums and product reviews but then I went to the LBS and pretty much everything I thought was good they said was not good, (they especially do not like Race Face stuff).

So anyway, here is my proposed build: (on some parts I am undecided and would love some opinions) I am trying to get the bike around 27 pounds.

--- Suspension - RockShox Revelation
    --- Headset - C-K or Cane Creek S3 (LBS said the S3 is identical in performance to CK)
    --- Brakes - Avid BB7 or 07' Juicy 7
    --- Shifters - X.0
    --- Front Der. - Shimano XTR
    --- Rear Der - Sram X.0
    --- Crankset - Shimano XTR or Race Face Atlas (do 575's use 175mm?)
    --- Cassette Shimano XTR
    --- Chain- Shimano HG-93
    --- Stem - Race Face Deus
    --- Handlebar - Race Face Deus
    --- Grips - Yeti HardCore
    --- Seatpost - Race Face Deus
    --- Wheelset - Crossmax XL's, Easton Havoc or ...... other (I am really undecided here)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post.

mtbr member
    Your build looks good.

I would throw a longer A-C fork with a thru-axle on it, especially if you want to go "AM". A Pike or the new '07 AM SL would be nice. But then you might deviate from your 27 lb goal. At 28 or 29 lbs, you'd barely notice the slight weight penalty, but I bet you'd LOVE the improved high-speed/technical/downhill handling of the longer/stiffer front end. I did when I went from a Minute to an '05 AM SL.

Why all the XTR? XT is almost as light, and a lot less $$$.

Ant

mtbr member
    Oh, and go hydro, with a 7" rotor up front.

mtbr member
    I generally put more stock in MTBR forums than shops. The reason is simply that there is generally a lot more experence around here than your shop employees probably have, and for the most part posters on here don't have any stake in what you buy, where the shop does.

--- Suspension - RockShox Revelation
    are you doing the short travel fork for weight? seems kind of pointless on a frame with such long legs.

--- Headset - C-K or Cane Creek S3 (LBS said the S3 is identical in performance to CK)
    Your shop is pretty astute on that, which is pretty supprising because everyone is so enamoured with King, and shops usually love to tell customers that expensive parts are the only ones worth using. The S3 might not last as long as the king, but it's less than half the price (and honestly, how many of us have actually worn out a headset? I still have the $10 shimano headset that came on my first bike, in 1988, it's still going strong).

--- Brakes - Avid BB7 or 07' Juicy 7
    If you are going light here is a great place to save some weight. Forget about the BB7s, on a bike like that it would be a crime, and they weigh a ton. Juicys are ok, but somewhat heavy. A lightweight disc like Martas, Mono Minis or Oros (180mm front rotor, 160 rear) would save close to half a pound. Martas are my favorite, but I have a Magura bias.

--- Shifters - X.0
    If you don't need all the adjustability of X0 they are IMO a waste of money compared to X9s. You could replace the clamp bolts with Al and have X9s that are ligher than the X0s.

--- Front Der. - Shimano XTR
    I don't see a good reason not to go XT or lower on this part, but whatever spins your beanie.

--- Rear Der - Sram X.0
    IMO a total waste of moeny compared to X9 (see above on tuning bolts)

--- Crankset - Shimano XTR or Race Face Atlas (do 575's use 175mm?)
    XTR is a way better crank, RF is a lot cheaper. Crank length is a matter of your height and what works for you, not the frame (by "what works for you" I mean if you are doing only downhills or stunts you may want a shorter crank, if you are climbing a lot you may want longer).

--- Cassette Shimano XTR
    IMO this is a waste of money compared to XT. The XT cassette costs less than half as much, will probably last twice as long, and is insignifigantly heavier.

--- Chain- Shimano HG-93
    I'd use a Sram chain, but it doesn't really matter (I like the snap-link for cleaning).

personal stuff here.

--- Grips - Yeti HardCore
    again personal.

Thomson masterpiece can save you a couple grams, both from your bike and wallet. I'd get that over the X0 and XTR parts.

--- Wheelset - Crossmax XL's, Easton Havoc or ...... other (I am really undecided here)
    I'd probably go with a custom wheelset if it where me. Find a good builder (I'd check the wheels forum), they'll probably be able to come up with somthing lighter than any factroy wheelset that's just as strong, and probably in the same price range.

IMO the real action in weight savings in in the tires, which you haven't mentioned. OTOH that is one of the wost places to skimp... It sounds like you'll be riding in the desert - I really can't help there, as mud is the main issue I have with tires, and I'm imagine muddy clay soil isn't a problem in the desert.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post.

You have to know how much we all like vicariously like someone else getting a new bike, and spending someone else's money.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I pretty much second Joules comments. On my 575, I run a full XT group with 7"/6" hydros, thomson stem and seatpost, and a Pike Air, and it weighs a bit under 30 pounds according to my bathroom scale , so you could shift where you spend the money a bit and get a burlier/more reliable bike. Of course if weight is the ultimate goal, then it can get very expensive..

Good luck

EDR
    I gotta echo Joules advice. Especially on the X0 vs. X9 stuff and the the XTR cassette and der., oh yeah, and the fork as well. (this bike begs for closer to 145 or 150mm than a 130mm fork). The 575 climbs great at 29 or 30lbs. You said you had a 40lb bike before. What you gain by stability and handling with a heavier and longer travel fork like a Pike (w/20mm TA) far outweighs the weight penalty, IMO, especially if you want a 'trailbike' not so much an 'xc' bike.

I ride Hawes frequently and I've got a 575 with a Pike Coil, 819 wheels and RF stuff. I ride South Mtn. often as well. This type of build if flexible enough to work very nicely at both Hawes and National, two VERY different types of riding as I'm sure you know.

If you want we could hook up and you can see what a 30lb 575 is like. (i see you live in Mesa?)
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-24-2006 at 11:58 AM.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by azmountainkiller
    Hello everyone.

So anyway, here is my proposed build: (on some parts I am undecided and would love some opinions) I am trying to get the bike around 27 pounds.
    --- Suspension - RockShox Revelation I have the Rev and really like it. Dispite what others may say about needing 140 or 150mm travel, it works well for my usage. If you are planning on more down hill runs on AM territory, then the extra travel may be worth the dough.

--- Headset - C-K or Cane Creek S3 (LBS said the S3 is identical in performance to CK) The CK is your "bling" headset and the S3 is your functional "I don't care about bling" headset. You choose.

--- Brakes - Avid BB7 or 07' Juicy 7 The Juicy's are nice. Make sure you get the clean sweep rotors though. They are quieter.

--- Shifters - X.0 The X.9's will work just as well but if you want TOTL there ya go.

--- Front Der. - Shimano XTR Why? Get the XT and save $50.

--- Rear Der - Sram X.0 Sounds good so far....

--- Crankset - Shimano XTR or Race Face Atlas (do 575's use 175mm?) The new XTR looks sweet but the Atlas is cheaper. Then again if weight is your concern the FSA carbon would be nice too. yes, I believe they are 175mm.

--- Cassette Shimano XTR Go SRAM and save a few bucks. They work flawlessly.

--- Chain- Shimano HG-93 Again, SRAM

--- Stem - Race Face Deus No problem here.

--- Handlebar - Race Face Deus Now, why anyone would take off the RF Next Carbon, I have no idea. It is about the best carbon for the money you can get. Keep it.

--- Grips - Yeti HardCore Lock-on grips rock. Spend the extra $14 on a pair of Oury's.

--- Seatpost - Race Face Deus Can't beat the Thomson and you will want it since the 575 seems to have seatpost slippage issues. Add a Hope or Salsa seatpost collar as well.

--- Wheelset - Crossmax XL's, Easton Havoc or ...... other (I am really undecided here) Ah, the wheelset. How much do you want to spend? If you are buying the Crossmax's then why not have a custom set built by Dave's or Mike Garcia? If I could afford it I would be going this route. I would go with No Tubes rims and maybe Hope or CK hubs. If you are doing primarily AM heavy duty though you may not want those rims.

Others:
    Saddle --- The Yeti saddle looks sweet but feels like an unforgiving rock saddle. I am used to it now though but it's not that comfy.
    Tires --- For fast tires that grip, I like the Maxxis Crossmark. I would also consider the Smallblock 8's.
    Pedals --- Shimano 959's rock!!
    Kickstand --- The Race Face Titec AXO Premium Sette Undercarriage Azonic Gravity FoxFed Hollowtech Ano Kickstand simply rocks the house. None better and the #1 upgrade to any bike.

Have fun ordering. Call Will at fullcycles.com once you have a price from your LBS and see how much he can save you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by azmountainkiller
    --- Shifters - X.0
    --- Rear Der - Sram X.0
    I have just received my 2007 X.9 shifter and RD kit. The shifters are like the 2006 X.0 but in aluminium instead of carbon. Direct shifting, no loose on the triggers like the 2006 X.9.

The RF Deus seatpost is neat and lighter than the Thomson. For the handlebar why not a Easton Monkeylite if there is no big drops? The description of your riding looks like my trails and I've been happy with my Monkeylite OS after one summer.

For the fork I have a Pike 454 Air.

S.

Stand back
    I'd 4th or 5th the suggestion to go longer travel fork. Especially if you're used to the geometry of the Bullit. I rode a 575 for ~25 miles, built w/ a Float 130, and it seemed a bit steep headangle-ish for my tastes. Fine for climbing, but nervous on steeps. And if you get a Pike U-turn, you can adjust it where you like it, but it'll be a lot more versatile if you have a little more travel on tap.
    I'm a big fan of the bb7's. I don't know that any bike I own ('cept my dh bike) will ever have hydros. Plenty of power and much easier to work on.
    As for the x.0, I say if you can afford 'em, go ahead. The uber expensive rear derailleur would have me sweating everytime I wrecked tho - it's just in such an exposed spot.
    And if you go w/ a Sram cogset, make sure you go w/ the 990 - hopefully it's a bit stronger. I had a 970 that I bent teeth on, and that's never happened to any other cogsets I've owned (all of which have been Shimano). I'd suggest the XT as a compromise for weight/ cost if there was any penny pinching to be done.
    Good luck with 'er. I'm a bit jealous...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Your build will get you to sub 28 lbs if you go with the hydros, XTR crankset and relatively lite tires (like Mutano 2.4's or Kenda BG/Nev 2.35's). If you have the bucks go for the X0 and XTR bling. I went with the old Race Disc kit and swapped out other parts from my XC dualie... I have the RF Deus crankset and I'm NOT a big fan of it (I'd rather have XT or XTR)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wow everyone! I can't thank you enough for all of your input. All of your responses are very helpful.

(*note to eatdrinkride - maybe we can tackle Hawes together once I get my bike built up, I live at Power and Mcdowell so it is super close to my house )

Okay so after reading through this post I think I will go with the following build -

Suspension - Marzocchi All Mountain SL
    Headset - S3
    Brakes - Magura Marta
    Shifters - Sram X9
    Front Der - Shimano XT
    Rear Der - Sram X9
    Crankset - Shimano XT
    Cassette - Shimano XT
    Chain - Sram Chain
    Stem - Race Face
    HandleBar - Race Face
    Seatpost - Race Face
    Wheelset - Ill go visit Dave and go from there.......

I sincerely appreciate everyone taking their time to read and respond to this post.