mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Is the Enduro build kit worth it?

If the Enduro build kit is around $1K more than just the frame, it it worth it? I mean, if you bought the Enduro kit (for the 575) separately, would it cost more than $900 or $1,000?

Any idea how much a 575 with an Enduro build weighs? Also, the choice between carbon and Alum isn't an easy one. I wonder if you can feel the weight difference- maybe on climbs?

Who is John Galt?
    I don't think you could piece one together on your own for any less, I did the math on several bikes looking at sale prices and it never worked out less than the packages. My Enduro with Juicy 7s and Nevegal tires weighs just under 30 pounds, it has alum. stays. The reviews I read say no difference in feel for the carbon, I think that was in Singletrack.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    i was told the carbon is more noticeable for bigger guys, i.e.200+ lbs. i did the enduro kit upgraded to an '07 TALAS RLC and Avid Carbon brakes for just $200 more. this left me with a grand total of $2600+ tax. so my shop was selling the enduro kit bike for $2400, thats $200 less than retail. the enduro kit comes with the vanilla RL fork, that alone is $500, i would think adding everything else would be well over the $1000 mark. get the enduro and trade out for what you want replaced, then just enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'd say it is, I'm almost wishing I bought one to be honest. I am piecing together a 575 on my own and I got a great deal on a frame ($900), and it's still going to cost me as much as the euro build to get it done. Sure, I get to spec it a little different based on my tastes, but it's not any cheaper.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    If the Enduro build kit is around $1K more than just the frame, it it worth it? I mean, if you bought the Enduro kit (for the 575) separately, would it cost more than $900 or $1,000?

Any idea how much a 575 with an Enduro build weighs? Also, the choice between carbon and Alum isn't an easy one. I wonder if you can feel the weight difference- maybe on climbs?
    It is definately worth it to get the package deal. I ran a lot of figures on how to get the best bang for my buck and you can't beat the package deal on a new 575.

I got the Enduro build with a Revelation Air U-Turn fork and Maxxis CrossMark tires which brought the bike weight to 28.8lbs with pedals. Not too shabby for a cheaper build.

You don't need to pay retail either. If you go with fullcycles.com (recommended) or go-ride.com you will get a few hundred off the retail price.

Here is what I would do: Go with the enduro build. The new vanilla is probably a great fork. Swap the wheels out for something better. (the 317 disk will probably have a trade in value of about $200) Swap out the tires. I love the CrossMarks. Get a salsa seatpost clamp. (highly recommended) With these swaps, depending on what wheels you choose to swap with, I would put your total cost about $2500 to $2600.

$2600 - Enduro
    ($375) - Less discount. (maybe up to $440 or so as well)
    ($200) - Less wheel trade in
    $500 - New wheels
    $75 - Shipping and salsa seatpost clamp

$2600 - Total with upgrades. That value looks familiar...

mtbr member
    i run the cross mark tires and love them too, possibly the best tire traction wise that i have ever run. the fork isnt bad if you like a coil and no adjustability. get new wheels, better brakes if you want (the juicy fives are just fine), do the seat post clamp and maybe a better head set, but you can always upgrade when that one craps out in a few months.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    If the Enduro build kit is around $1K more than just the frame, it it worth it?
    I would say yes, even though I bought a frame only. You could use the parts you need, sell the rest on MTBR.com. A brand new Vanilla RLC should bring several hundred bucks, not to mention brand new cranks, bars, etc.

I was doing a total custom build up and had another bike I was parting, so I went the frame only route but sometimes wish I would have just done the Enduro build and sold what I didn't want to use or keep for spare parts.

Bomber
    For a guy working in a bike shop its about 900 dollars for the parts kit on that bike alone (not including fork), and much more for avge joe. I went with the enduro simply because the kit is such a value, and u save so much u can go and get a new wheelset or fork to tickle ur fancy (2 months in and im building up some wheels). I work at a performance bikes, where in the retail world we offer some pretty good prices and i find myself telling the more serious customers about the yeti's and the value loaded bikes they carry....fyi 575 rocks!!!!