mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Enduro Build Kit

I'm wanting to join the tribe (ASR5c) in the next few months and thought I'd get an opinion on the quality of components used in the Enduro build kit. It uses SRAM components which I've had hit-or-miss experiences with in the past (had a series of bad X5 rear derailers). But the Enduro is appealing for other reason$.

Are people happy with the Enduro build kit?

Trail Murderer
    Aug 2011
    I started out with a ASR5a enduro build bike. Fell in love with it. I slowly upgraded parts as I felt the need.

EDR
    Does the kit use X.5? I hope not. X.9 is great. I gave up XT stuff years ago for it and have yet to find a reason to go back. But to be honest I do use a mix. I find the XT cassette lasts longer than the pg980 or whatever, and I use a XT front der b/c it really doesn't matter. But for a rear der. and shifters, I'm all good with X.9.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Does the kit use X.5? I hope not. X.9 is great. I gave up XT stuff years ago for it and have yet to find a reason to go back. But to be honest I do use a mix. I find the XT cassette lasts longer than the pg980 or whatever, and I use a XT front der b/c it really doesn't matter. But for a rear der. and shifters, I'm all good with X.9.
    Kit uses a X9 rear and an X7 front Deraileur.

The only thing that I did not like about the Enduro build kit is the Avid Elixir 5 brakes, we upgraded those on my wifes bike through the Shop to Magura MT2's.

Ask the shop if they may do an upgrade or swap of anything you may not like, or want to upgrade (dropper seatpost, stem -or whatever). I only say this as it is cheaper up front through the shop, as they get the items at a lower cost, and only charge a small fee like lets say 70$.

nero
    The crankset is X5. The enduro build is definitely serviceable though. At least I had no issues with my enduro build. I did switch to a 2x10 XT setup but that was the plan all along. I am building the bike how I want it and ebaying the parts that came on the build. Next on my list is the brakes.

mtbr member
    My wife has the Endro built ASR5a and loves it. She did upgrade the cranks for XO's.

Surprisingly, she hasn't had any issues with the 5 brakes.

My bike is 3.5 lbs lighter but cost 3k more so sometimes I think her's was a better deal.

nero
    The crankset is X5. The enduro build is definitely serviceable though. At least I had no issues with my enduro build. I did switch to a 2x10 XT setup but that was the plan all along. I am building the bike how I want it and ebaying the parts that came on the build. Next on my list is the brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nerofinis View Post
    I currently have an X5 crankset and have had no issues with it. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm thinking the Enduro is the way to go for me with the intent of upgrading individual components as issues arise - which might just be the brakes.

nero

mtbr member
    On my two year old 5:

After a year and a half of riding on the squishy, every other month needing a bleed, Elixir 5s, I dropped a couple hundy on a set of XT brakes and couldn't be happier, wish I had done it when I bought the bike. The difference in control and confidence is night and day.

As for the SRAM 7/9 mix gear train, after dialing in the front, it shifts when and where I want it to and any major malfunction has been user error for the most part.

Until I replaced the brakes (they were my first set of disk brakes) I was ready to go to mechanical just to save in bleed costs. The Elixir 5s have no adjustment capability either.

Trail Murderer
    Aug 2011
    Hey Check out my ASR5c. I just listed it in the classified section.... I have to sell it to fund the 66c build...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Slc View Post
    Hey Check out my ASR5c. I just listed it in the classified section.... I have to sell it to fund the 66c build...
    You would have been better off posting this in the ASR5c thread, with a link. Most persons that would be interested in an ASR5c would be reading over there.