Hi!!!

New question here. Dumb question about rotor size

It seems that a number of people riding bikes like the 575 are using bigger rotors than what I have on my bike that I no longer ride....I have 6" rotors front and back.

Now if I want to go say 7"...is it just a matter of buying 7" rotors and slapping them on or are there some modifications needed to be done to the original mounts and calipers?

Mahalo!

Nick
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    you will need an adapter besides the new rotor. The adapter would depend on the kind of caliper (IS or postmount) that your brakes have.

EDIT: By the way, I highly recommend upgrading the front rotor to a bigger size, depending on what the manufacturer allows. Recent fox forks go up to 203mm rotors and so as most 32mm stanchion forks from other brands... I run a 180mm front rotor, but might increase to a 203 for one-finger braking... but 180mm is very good and lighter than 203mm
    Last edited by crisillo; 10-24-2006 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    depending on your brakes; the quick and dirty method is an adaptor, there are a few of these out there, IME cheaper ones can have more problems (I have an adaptor from a2z that's made of fairly thin steel, which necessitated putting spacers on the outside to keep the mounting bolts from hitting the rotor (or I could have just used shorter bolts, but all I had was what came with the brakes).

If you have avid or hayes brakes (or any other brake which direct-fits a post mount) you should be able to just swap the adaptor.

If you have a direct-fit IS, and you want the nicest-looking and most expensive/biggest hassle option, most manufacturers have calipers designed for the larger rotors (I wouldn't bother with that option unless you are obcessed with weight, or like filling/bleeding brakes).

what's with someone from idaho saying "mahalo?" my wife gives me enough giref when I say "howzit" - claims haolis aren't allowed to say stuff like that...

In my mind, I can do it!
    I would take your rotors off and sell them on ebay. It's not like you are going to use them anyway and that is the only sure way to stop the squeeling.

Adobo Lover
    Belay, I'm assuming that your considering using 7s on the Hayes nines? If you are, the part number for the bracket is 98-18640. I looked into it a while back and got the number straight from hayes. I think Hayes is the only one making a 7 inch rotor. I could be wrong though.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    It seems that a number of people riding bikes like the 575 are using bigger rotors than what I have on my bike that I no longer ride....I have 6" rotors front and back.
    Is there a problem with your current setup?

Now, given I'm an easterner and my idea of a downhill is relative, I've never had issue with my mech's. Two finger at most.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    I think Hayes is the only one making a 7 inch rotor.
    95Stumpy, Shimano, Hope, Magura and Formula also make 180mm rotors; Avid, Hope, and Galfer make 185mm rotors. One just needs the right adapter and it's golden!
    Last edited by crisillo; 10-25-2006 at 08:43 AM.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    what's with someone from idaho saying "mahalo?" my wife gives me enough giref when I say "howzit" - claims haolis aren't allowed to say stuff like that...
    I'm not a haole...I'm like flip and 95Stumpy. Got alot of family over in Hawaii with most of them living on Oahu with some on the Big Island and some on Maui. You should hear my pidgin when we go there each year.

Adobo Lover
    Oops didn't do the conversion.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

Yetis in Hawaii

Eh, just depends on how good/bad your pidgin is, not being Haole or not. That's more of a state of mind anyway...

That said, I've had my co-workers rollin' on the floor because my pidgin sucks rocks!

Oni