mtbr member

Dual Crown Fork on an ASX

I'm considering a dual crown fork for my ASX but am concerned about it affecting the turning radius with the 1.5 inch headtube. For you people running dual crowns, what fork are you running and what is your opinion of how the ASX handles with it?

I ask because I rode an ASX a couple of years ago with Super T on it and the turning was really limited. I still want to be able to take tight switchbacks and stuff like that.

Thanks -

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i ran a 888 on mine up till a week or so ago, in my opinion it is to raked out with it, even with flat crowns.. if goin 888 try a 170mm version the good thing about it, was it had a great turning radius. The Boxxer would fit the ASX alot better, but would restrict the turning radius slightly, but wouldn't really be that noticable just keep an eye on the head angle.

mtbr member

Fox 40?

Quote Originally Posted by AKRida
    i ran a 888 on mine up till a week or so ago, in my opinion it is to raked out with it, even with flat crowns.. if goin 888 try a 170mm version the good thing about it, was it had a great turning radius. The Boxxer would fit the ASX alot better, but would restrict the turning radius slightly, but wouldn't really be that noticable just keep an eye on the head angle.
    Thanks man, the more I talk to people about this the more I'm getting that the FOX 40 would be my best option for dual crown. With the adjustable travel, I could dial the HT angle, and the legs are further apart on that fork providing more steering. I just wish those things weren't so hard on the bank account.

Still on Training Wheels!
    I've been rockin a 06 Boxxer Ride on my AS-X for the last 2 months. My AS-X is my only bike, so it has to be used for everything from XXC to lifted DH. The Boxxer Ride was my first dual crown fork, and with all the trail riding I do, I was very concerned about turning radius and thus far I have not had any issues. The boxxer has fairly narrow crowns compaired to other forks on the market so turning radius shouldn't be a huge deal.

FWIW I think the Boxxer Ride is a perfect fork for the AS-X. The external travel adjust is great for when I need to climb, and with Motion Control Dampening I can tune the fork to be Marzocchi plush for DH or perform like SPV when trail riding. If you are more of a pure DH/FR rider, I would look into a 888 or a Fox40
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    I've been rockin a 06 Boxxer Ride on my AS-X for the last 2 months. My AS-X is my only bike, so it has to be used for everything from XXC to lifted DH. The Boxxer Ride was my first dual crown fork, and with all the trail riding I do, I was very concerned about turning radius and thus far I have not had any issues. The boxxer has fairly narrow crowns compaired to other forks on the market so turning radius shouldn't be a huge deal.

FWIW I think the Boxxer Ride is a perfect fork for the AS-X. The external travel adjust is great for when I need to climb, and with Motion Control Dampening I can tune the fork to be Marzocchi plush for DH or perform like SPV when trail riding. If you are more of a pure DH/FR rider, I would look into a 888 or a Fox40
    same feelings and experience here! I was also a bit concerned about turning radius (not as much as about not being able to master X-ups ) , but I don't really feel that it's limited with Boxxer Ride... (as opposed to X-ups )

btw. drum714 do you get a very little clunk (i guess from the spring) on the very beginning of the stroke, when you lift front wheel from the ground and put it back down ??
    Passion beyond reason!

Still on Training Wheels!
    No, I don't. You may want to pull the spring out and grease the crap out of it. I had a similar issue with my pike, and greasing the spring solved the problem.

Side note:

How mush travel are you using on a regular basis? I have my lower crown set to where I have 183mm of exposed stanction, and I seem to always have 1 1/2 inches of travel remaining. Just wondering if you use full travel regularly. FWIW I weigh 185 and am using the stock spring.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    thanks guys. I was originally using the ASX as a do all bike, but i began to put heavier parts on it, and after a certain point it became really difficult to take on xc oriented or epic rides with extended climbs. So i picked up a 575 and decided to make the ASX a dedicated FR/DH bike. I'd like a fork with adjustable travel so I can fine tune it. So the Boxxer Ride and FOX 40 are in the running.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    No, I don't. You may want to pull the spring out and grease the crap out of it. I had a similar issue with my pike, and greasing the spring solved the problem.

Side note:

How mush travel are you using on a regular basis? I have my lower crown set to where I have 183mm of exposed stanction, and I seem to always have 1 1/2 inches of travel remaining. Just wondering if you use full travel regularly. FWIW I weigh 185 and am using the stock spring.
    I guess greasing the spring or putting this plastic tube on it should solve the problem but I am too lazy to do it
    I've got lower crown at similar height (maybe 2mm higher) and I tend to use almost all the travel (12mm of sexposed stanchions left) but I rather heavy 190lbs with gear plus much of the landing on my favourite spot are not so smooth....
    Passion beyond reason!

JJYETI
    I have a Boxxer on mine and it perfoms very well on tight twisty downhill sections. I had to use the tall crown to give it total turning radius due to the 1.5 headtube.

www.yetifan.com
    just fitted some 888 170's to my AS-X, its made it awesome!

shermans suck after trying the 888.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm running an '03 Shiver on mine. To answer the original question, the uppers are so wide that turn radius is not really an issue. It's not as flickable as a single crown of course, but once you get used to it, it's just fine. Fox 40 would be sweet; saw one set up w/ one at Go-Ride the other day and it looked siiiiick!

As far as geometry goes, I was really worried about it being too slack, especially since I was running a 24" rear from my old Big Hit. Wound up putting the crowns as low on the uppers as they'd go, getting a zero-stack headset, and the thing is incredibly well balanced. It is my dedicated FR/DH bike so I don't take it on big climbs, but I have hauled it to the top of a few 2-3k vert climbs here in the Wasatch without dying.

That said I have been looking at the Boxxer Ride, but I just can't imagine that fork living up to the plushness/quality of my Shiver.