mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Dropper Post Question

After getting bucked off my SB, a few months back, I started experimenting with dropping my seat post on descents. I was surprised (obviously) what a huge difference it made and after lots of research and looking around I've decided to buy a dropper post. I've settled on the DOSS mainly cause I could get a sweet deal and I hated the idea of dealing with hydraulics on the reverb.

My question deals with which travel post to buy. I have exactly 7.5 inches of seat post out on my rigid post. The 4 inch travel DOSS is 6.5 inches all the way in the frame and the 5 inch travel is 7.5 inches.

What is the best choice?? I have the clearance for both, but is there any reason why I wouldn't want the seat as far down as possible?

I'm n00bish so I welcome the flaming!

EDIT: I found this post here: Dropper seatposts--beginner's perspective

It didn't come up the first few times, 'cause I was searching in inches instead of mm.
    Last edited by Huntro; 01-25-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    As a point of reference, I have a 125 mm Reverb on my XL SB-95, and that about maxes out the available post for me. I'm 6'5".
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Well it's better to have it go as low as possible than not enough. I have mine setup so full extension is perfect for long grinds. With my Reverb all the way down its still
    A couple inches extended due to where I clamp it. (Asr 7). I use it way more than I thought I would and its saved me a couple of times in sudden drops/rock gardens. The best thing for me is the saddle us always pointed straight ahead unlike using the QR.

mtbr member
    For me there is a right position for full extension (which I need, down to the mm), for dropped there isn't really. More drop is better than less, but if I had to compromise the fully extended position for more drop, I wouldn't. It sounds like the 5" doss would be close. With Reverb you can shorten it like you would a fork, not sure about the doss.

back when droppers were only 3" I still thought it was worth it.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    +1 on getting the most travel you can fit into the frame safely. You should check with a longer post than you have how far you can safely insert a post and figure out the longest post you can use - for safety.

I got a bro-deal on a Blacklite 125, and on my large '95 the top collar ends up about 1" ish above the frame top. I have tremendous support inside the frame for the post, which make me bullish on the long term happiness of the two. Also, since the saddle can be dropped to within about 2" ish of the top tube hairy descents are much more comfortable and controlled. I have almost as much saddle-to-butt clearance in that case as I do with my DH bike. :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all the replies. I think optimally in my case the seat post should be less than 7.5inches. So I'm gonna go with in 4inch travel and be able to dial it in exactly. I'll post once I get it installed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for your guidance.