Thread: Dogbone trouble

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Dogbone trouble

I got some sideways movement between my dogbone and chainstays on my 04 575. It has the 5th Element shock. I've followed the instructions on the Yeti site for removing and reinstalling the shock, but it hasn't solved it. It seems that when I tighten the bolt, it pulls the chainstay flush against the dogbone. Witht the plastic washers in place, it helps a little, but it still pulls to one side if I tighten it hard. Any ideas?

jna
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbysix
    I got some sideways movement between my dogbone and chainstays on my 04 575. It has the 5th Element shock. I've followed the instructions on the Yeti site for removing and reinstalling the shock, but it hasn't solved it. It seems that when I tighten the bolt, it pulls the chainstay flush against the dogbone. Witht the plastic washers in place, it helps a little, but it still pulls to one side if I tighten it hard. Any ideas?
    I assume you are talkig about the "seatstays" the chainstays don't attach to the dogbone. You may need to get new hardware bushings/bearings for the shock. We have an 04' and had the same issue after about 1500 miles. I called Progressive and they mailed me the parts for free. My dealer also got me the parts so I now have a spare. It fixed the problem.

-- Warranty - warranty@progressivesuspension.com,
    -- (For Warranty questions only)
    -- For Technical questions - info@progressivesuspension.com
    -- For Jobs - hr@progressivesuspension.com
    -- OR call the Techline number below

-- For Literature - 877.690.7411
    -- Warranty / Techline - 760.948.4012
    -- Fax - 760.948.4307

-- Progressive Suspension, Inc.
    -- 11129 G Avenue
    -- Hesperia, California 92345 USA

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the information, I've sent them an email.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Dogbone solved my problem

I have an '04 575 w/ the 5th element and had the same problem as you describe. The bearings were moving side to side within the dogbone. I called the guys at Yeti and then sent my old dogbone to them. They sent me a new dogbone -- the new dogbone has cinch bolts to tighten the dogbone around the bearings -- no more lateral movement.

Just spent 6 days riding the "Maze" in Moab -- the bike worked great.

Good Luck,

Jerry

mtbr member
    May 2006

dog bone trouble

Hi Bobby,

I think I know what you mean...

You nees to 'set' the bearings in place on one side of the axel first before you drive the axel through the shock eye and the push on the bearings on the other side. If you try ot do it all together it will just push everything to one side.

See the tech pages on 575 page of Yeti website - there is a new step by step guide on how to dismantle - re assemble the dog bone and bearings.

Hope this helps.

Chaser.