Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85

    Does Yeti have a hole in their lineup?

    After about a month on the Super66 I'm really loving it as an all mountain bike, but am finding its limitations in sort of the free ride stuff. I'm not sure the 66 would do well with single crown 180 forks and sitting a bit deeper in its travel. As awesome as this bike is, I'm now wondering how a frame a bit beefier would be, something like the SX Trail, a little less trail oriented.

  2. #2
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,936
    I'm sure we'll see something... Yeti is probably working on a bunch of stuff, they can only release south at one time... Maybe an SB67 or 68 is in the pipeline... Or something like the old ASX in character

    Strange they did away with the ASR 7 but could be to make room for its replacement...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    55
    The next model they are probably going to release will be the 303 Carbon after final World Cup testing.

    My guess is they will release an ASR-7 follow up based on the Switch technology sometime in the near future.
    To coincide with the current carbon hype a SB-95C and Carbon Race 29er HT would also be further possibilities. Personally I would love to see a full alloy 29er ARC pendant and an updated 26er ARC (tapered headtube, Postmount and replacable dropouts similar to the Big Top).

    A dream come true would be a new steel FRO though, but that will probably never happen...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554
    Just put a 180 on the new 303WC. Nice 1x10 gearing. Some XC weight weinie parts and your good.

    No more gap in the lineup.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    180
    I currently race a ASR-C and recently discovered the benefits of a 29er. I would love for Yeti to make a carbon 29er HT race bike. When I need to new bike, I really dont want to switch brands for a 29er.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    55
    I totally agree with you. Though I would also appreciate a full alloy version.
    I do not like the alloy/carbon hybrid approach on the BigTop, but like it's versatility.
    My opinion is that they should build a lightweight Race Carbon HT as an opponent to the Santa Cruz Highball, etc. for example and a sturdier, less expensive full alloy All Mountain 100-120mm HT.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    It doesn't sound like Yeti is that into XC. They have the SB-95 and the ASR5C, which are both great XC/trail bikes. At the end of the day they have a focus on things pointed south.

  8. #8
    zombie freerider
    Reputation: SaddleRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    152
    I don't buy the idea that throwing a single crown fork is going to make a the 303 WC (a DH race bike) somehow your trail riding/FR bike. In the first place it doesn't do much to change the a2c so your geo is way slack for trail riding. It's kinda like making the sb66 a big hit FR bike... sure you can push it that way but it would be better to just start a frame built for a 180mm fork.

    We'll see what announcements are made by Yeti at Sea Otter and through the summer. A lot of good stuff has come out this past year and hopefully they don't slow down. I'll be the first in line for the SB 67C!

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleRags View Post
    I don't buy the idea that throwing a single crown fork is going to make a the 303 WC (a DH race bike) somehow your trail riding/FR bike. In the first place it doesn't do much to change the a2c so your geo is way slack for trail riding. It's kinda like making the sb66 a big hit FR bike... sure you can push it that way but it would be better to just start a frame built for a 180mm fork.

    We'll see what announcements are made by Yeti at Sea Otter and through the summer. A lot of good stuff has come out this past year and hopefully they don't slow down. I'll be the first in line for the SB 67C!
    .....or even a SB68

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bpnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleRags View Post
    I don't buy the idea that throwing a single crown fork is going to make a the 303 WC (a DH race bike) somehow your trail riding/FR bike. In the first place it doesn't do much to change the a2c so your geo is way slack for trail riding. It's kinda like making the sb66 a big hit FR bike... sure you can push it that way but it would be better to just start a frame built for a 180mm fork.

    We'll see what announcements are made by Yeti at Sea Otter and through the summer. A lot of good stuff has come out this past year and hopefully they don't slow down. I'll be the first in line for the SB 67C!

    I agree, the wheelbase would be way too long on the WC303 for a play bike. Not to mention the Geo being wacked out...

    +1 on the Sb-68 for their line up.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    58
    I own an sb 66........super sick!!!! one thing I don't know, where does the "SB" and the 66 come from? or the 303 where what do these names represent or come from?

  12. #12
    Lucky...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    331
    SB either stands for Super Bike or Switch Bike, depending on who you talk to. The 66 is last digit of wheel size and travel in inches. Hence the SB-66 is a 26-er with 6 inches of travel, and the SB-95 is a 29-er with 5 inches of travel.

  13. #13
    Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Reputation: snigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    503
    303 is the area code for Denver/Golden, CO
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"


    www.yeticycles.com

  14. #14
    Visitor
    Reputation: hairstream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    780
    carbon arc?

  15. #15
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,936
    With the 650B/27.5 picking up momentum like crazy, judging from all the 650B specific stuff coming out at Sea Otter... maybe we'll see an SB76 ?
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

  16. #16
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    SB either stands for Super Bike or Switch Bike, depending on who you talk to. The 66 is last digit of wheel size and travel in inches. Hence the SB-66 is a 26-er with 6 inches of travel, and the SB-95 is a 29-er with 5 inches of travel.
    i bet you internally, it's "Switch B!tch" knowing Yeti and their sense of humor...
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by Super66 View Post
    After about a month on the Super66 I'm really loving it as an all mountain bike, but am finding its limitations in sort of the free ride stuff. I'm not sure the 66 would do well with single crown 180 forks and sitting a bit deeper in its travel. As awesome as this bike is, I'm now wondering how a frame a bit beefier would be, something like the SX Trail, a little less trail oriented.
    I think Yeti made this bike already; they called it the ASR-7.

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatMutt View Post
    I think Yeti made this bike already; they called it the ASR-7.
    The ASR7 was nothing like a AM/FR bike. It was a blown up XC frame.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by Super66 View Post
    The ASR7 was nothing like a AM/FR bike. It was a blown up XC frame.
    Closer to freeride than what some others have been saying.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    338

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drbelleville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Super66 View Post
    The ASR7 was nothing like a AM/FR bike. It was a blown up XC frame.
    The ASR-7 has more in common with a AM/FR bike than an XC - 12mm rear axle, ICSG tabs, 20mm front axle and best of all 7 inches of travel. I would believe that it is more of an AM bike if anything, an Allmountain Swiss Army Knife at that.

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatMutt View Post
    Because a great rider hit a few jumps?

    Look at the geometry, or better yet ride one. I'd be willing to bet the video would't change much if the bike had no suspension.

    7 inches of travel does;t make it a feeeride frame, nor does a 67 degree head tube or the long reach XC geometry.

    Maybe John C will weigh in.

  23. #23
    Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Reputation: swan3609's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Super66 View Post
    Because a great rider hit a few jumps?

    Look at the geometry, or better yet ride one. I'd be willing to bet the video would't change much if the bike had no suspension.

    7 inches of travel does;t make it a feeeride frame, nor does a 67 degree head tube or the long reach XC geometry.

    Maybe John C will weigh in.
    I am the kid in the video and I agree with both of you. The 7 was not a freeride bike, atleast not with my 32 lbs 160mm build kit. But it was also not a xc bike either. The reason I love my 7 so much is that it sits somewhere in between.


    Currently there are some burly dh courses that I won't ride all out balls to the wall like I would on my DH bike especially with my current build kit, but with a different build (Totem, 1x10, and burly wheelset)

    Then again I also have been on the podium at the Downieville classic on this bike. Which with over 3k of climbing.. That's not really possible on a "freeride" bike.

    I love my 7 because with my 32lb build I have won xc races and super d races, and then turned around the next weekend and been in the top 5 in the pro class at downhill races all on the same build kit.. Not many bikes can say that..

    I love my 7 so much that I am keeping the frame around when I get my carbon sb66.

    The reason that I am going to a 66 is that I am going to get more serious about my Super D racing and I know that the 66 will pedal much better then the 7, not that the 7 was that bad..

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Last edited by swan3609; 04-23-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

    See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

  24. #24
    D93
    D93 is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatMutt View Post
    The Seven is not a freeride bike. It's a trail bike. Can you rail it? For sure, look at what the guy in the video does on it, awesome, but you can rail a 66 as well ....with much less effort. Youre certainly mistaking mm of travel as the indicator. Look at the seat tube and head tube angles. Maybe your confusing it with the ASR-X, or whatever it was called, which was a freeride bike.

    Plus, I don't think Yeti makes the Seven anymore so the OP is correct.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    I am the kid in the video and I agree with both of you. The 7 was not a freeride bike, atleast not with my 32 lbs 160mm build kit. But it was also not a xc bike either. The reason I love my 7 so much is that it sits somewhere in between.


    Currently there are some burly dh courses that I won't ride all out balls to the wall like I would on my DH bike especially with my current build kit, but with a different build (Totem, 1x10, and burly wheelset)

    Then again I also have been on the podium at the Downieville classic on this bike. Which with over 3k of climbing.. That's not really possible on a "freeride" bike.

    I love my 7 because with my 32lb build I have won xc races and super d races, and then turned around the next weekend and been in the top 5 in the pro class at downhill races all on the same build kit.. Not many bikes can say that..

    I love my 7 so much that I am keeping the frame around when I get my carbon sb66.

    The reason that I am going to a 66 is that I am going to get more serious about my Super D racing and I know that the 66 will pedal much better then the 7, not that the 7 was that bad..

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Thanks for weighing in!
    I guess I classify anything that can be backflipped as FreeRide. I know my RDH couldn't backflip, I'm guessing a 95 couldn't either. Think you'd throw one on the 66?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •