Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    In my mind, I can do it!

Did you do this with your first 575?

I am so not used to the endless travel feel on this bike. I almost don't know what to think, I like it but it feels so different. I find myself wanting to increase the shock pressure to give it a firmer ride. Is this what some of you went through until you got used to the plushness of the travel? I really like the plush but I almost feel like I should be feeling the trail more. I went through a similar adjustment from the HT to the first FS bike as well.

5 x 5

I set mine up...

...based on the middle setting on the RP3. Sag, feel, etc. Rode off the highest drop I take with any regularity (hip-to-waist high to flat) and set it so it just barely didn't bottom. As set, in the firm setting the bike doesn't bob even out of the saddle. A flip over to the soft setting and I'm riding a pillow.

I almost never even use the softest setting.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMountainHop
    ...based on the middle setting on the RP3. Sag, feel, etc. Rode off the highest drop I take with any regularity (hip-to-waist high to flat) and set it so it just barely didn't bottom. As set, in the firm setting the bike doesn't bob even out of the saddle. A flip over to the soft setting and I'm riding a pillow.

I almost never even use the softest setting.
    I may be setting too much sag in the middle setting. It's at 25% but I may like about 20% better. I am liking the firm setting on the shock with the sag set to 25%.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I am so not used to the endless travel feel on this bike. I almost don't know what to think, I like it but it feels so different. I find myself wanting to increase the shock pressure to give it a firmer ride. Is this what some of you went through until you got used to the plushness of the travel? I really like the plush but I almost feel like I should be feeling the trail more. I went through a similar adjustment from the HT to the first FS bike as well.
    I went from two hardtails...geared and a SS...to the 575 and this was my first real good experience with suspension...let alont nearly 6 inches of it! I was use to the front suspension since my first SS had about 130mm of travel. But the first couple of rides on the 575 I had relatively low pressure in the RP3 (probably 210 versus 230 now) and when going down I would alternate between the middle and low settings so that it would soak up the bumps. And yes it felt "different". I figured I weighed more than I gave myself credit for so that is when I bumped it up to 230 so that I could get a more firm feeling. I really haven't spent much time trying to dial in the suspension so it still does feel more like a firm plush rather than a plushy plush.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I went from two hardtails...geared and a SS...to the 575 and this was my first real good experience with suspension...let alont nearly 6 inches of it! I was use to the front suspension since my first SS had about 130mm of travel. But the first couple of rides on the 575 I had relatively low pressure in the RP3 (probably 210 versus 230 now) and when going down I would alternate between the middle and low settings so that it would soak up the bumps. And yes it felt "different". I figured I weighed more than I gave myself credit for so that is when I bumped it up to 230 so that I could get a more firm feeling. I really haven't spent much time trying to dial in the suspension so it still does feel more like a firm plush rather than a plushy plush.
    230psi ? How much do you weigh? I am about 185lbs loaded down and have been setting my rp3 at about 150psi. Maybe this is my problem. ??

mtbr member

dude...

230psi ? How much do you weigh? I am about 185lbs loaded down and have been setting my rp3 at about 150psi. Maybe this is my problem. ??
    I'm 123 without gear and I set the RP3 up at around 145 to 150 and the Rev around 75 to 80. You maybe running too low a pressure in the back. I use about 1/3" of sag in the RP3. The recommended sag feels too soft in the middle setting... I ride more XC than AM however...

Hi!!!
    I'm 200 pounds butt nekkid. Throw in clothes and gear....210+. Ehh I should knock it down to maybe 215 or 220. I'll play around with it today. Aw crap...I don't have my shock pump with me.

According to this you may want to try 195:
    http://www.yeticycles.com/Support/Su...ShockSetup.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    iv, I think you have it way too low. I weight almost the same as you. If have mine set at the Yeti recommended setting of 195lbs and like it.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by guilow
    iv, I think you have it way too low. I weight almost the same as you. If have mine set at the Yeti recommended setting of 195lbs and like it.

I was setting it up according to the sag. Maybe there is a break in period. I'll have to check it again tonight.

Hi!!!
    Maybe you're measuring the sag wrong?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Maybe you're measuring the sag wrong?
    1/2" from the shock body to the O-ring after I sit on the bike. I'll check it again, though.

mtbr member

Settings

Be patient, it takes a while to dial in a radically new bike. As you get used to a setting, and your technique changes slightly, you may want to try new settings, but give them a little time. Write down the pressures, etc. so you can keep track. I just went up a very technical steep climb. Lots of rocks and LOTS of 4 to 6" exposed roots. I'm about 155#s. I have the RP3 at 155 psi and have different sags on different propedal settings. 1/4" on full propedal and 1/2 inch on minimum. I rode at a pace that was not too hard, in full propedal and made it up in 50 minutes....my best time was 49 at a brutal pace in the past. The front Fox was at 75psi. After a while, I think I'm going to try a lower pressure in both and see if I like it. With the pressure way up, it seems it defeats the purpose of shocks. Think of driving over a rough road with your shocks locked out. Not much control, and you'll bounce all over the place. The shocks need to be soft enough to stay in contact with the ground while going over the rough stuff. The propedal will offset the bobbing, as will a smoother spinning action. It's the same with tire pressures. 55 may work better on the road, but 35 is faster over technical terrain. Kinda counterintuitive. I love this bike, but it's gonna take some getting used to. I expect I won't have it (or myself) dialed in for a while.

mtbr member
    ivi,
    Like i said in an earlier post - set the psi to yor body weight, at least as a starting point. You're setting it WAY too low.

I'm 185 lbs, set rp3 at 185 psi.

Ant

On your left.
    Jan 2004

platform and rebound

At the same shock pressure you may prefer the ride with heavier platform and faster rebound. As I'm sure any new bike owner does just take your shock pump with you, make adjustments and trust what you like.

M

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    ivi,
    Like i said in an earlier post - set the psi to yor body weight, at least as a starting point. You're setting it WAY too low.

I'm 185 lbs, set rp3 at 185 psi.

Ant
    You are absolutely correct. I raised the pressure to just 10psi below my weight and it made a huge difference.

It's official... I [SIZE="6"]L[/SIZE][SIZE="4"]O[/SIZE][SIZE="6"]V[/SIZE][SIZE="3"]E[/SIZE] this bike. I was totally elated last night when I rode it. The shock was set right, the fork was set right.. Man, that bike is just awesome. Had I not had a blowout I would have beaten my best time on this trail by a couple of minutes I'm sure. I was so blown away that the blowout didn't even phase me. I was just too happy about this bike. I made the right choice for sure.

BTW - when I say blowout.. I mean BLOWOUT... Sounded like a gun going off. Check the tube below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi!!!
    Holy crap WTF happened!?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    BTW - when I say blowout.. I mean BLOWOUT... Sounded like a gun going off. Check the tube below.
    That will patch.

New bikes always take some adjusting to, especially with air pressures, platform, rebound, etc but pretty soon you'll have a good baseline feel of what you like and the adjustments will be tiny fine tuning type stuff.

I've been a roadie the last two weekends, but that all ends this weekend. Back to the 575, this asphalt crap should be for the weekdays.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Holy crap WTF happened!?
    That is the $10,000 question. At one point in the ride I rode down one side of a large whoopteedoo and as I hit the bottom and transitioned to go up I felt the rear tire roll under me to the side. It seemed ok though. I figured it would have pinch flatted at that point but it didn't so I figured all was good. I rode another 5 minutes and at the time of the blowout was on level ground going kind of slow and BANG. It blew so hard that the sidewall came off the rim and the tube was falling out. I couldn't roll the bike without the tube getting all tangled up in the axle.

The cause of the blowout may have something to do with this though:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Tl

Try running tubeless... I have UST wheels on the 575 right now (but running non-UST tires and Stans) and have been pretty happy with it. I've pulled out about ten goatheads the past 2 weeks. I'll be experimenting with the Maxxis Rim Strips (tubeless conversion) on RRB's 575 and one of my SS to see if that system works well also. I've only heard good things about it and at $5 a wheel (or about the same as a tube) and $15 for a bottle of Stan's, it might be worth checking out...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Try running tubeless... I have UST wheels on the 575 right now (but running non-UST tires and Stans) and have been pretty happy with it. I've pulled out about ten goatheads the past 2 weeks. I'll be experimenting with the Maxxis Rim Strips (tubeless conversion) on RRB's 575 and one of my SS to see if that system works well also. I've only heard good things about it and at $5 a wheel (or about the same as a tube) and $15 for a bottle of Stan's, it might be worth checking out...
    Yeah, I should have gotten the CrossMark's with the LUST though. I think these rims would also be very subject to burping. It has tubes right now so I'll stick with those until I have to get new tires and maybe then. $5 a wheel??? Really?

In my mind, I can do it!
    duplicate thread.. no idea how this happens...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I should have gotten the CrossMark's with the LUST though. I think these rims would also be very subject to burping. It has tubes right now so I'll stick with those until I have to get new tires and maybe then. $5 a wheel??? Really?
    Yep, $5 a wheel (or $5 a strip), easy to install and airs up with a floor pump. It converts regular rims to tubeless rims so you can either run UST or run tubed tires (however, I heard that it is pretty hard to install some UST tires with the strip). I will be running it with regular tires since RRB and I are both lightweight and do mostly XC type of riding with the occassional drop here and there (and we are former weight weenies)...
    Do a search on mtbr for maxxis rim strip if you want to find out more... Lots of threads on the subject.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Yep, $5 a wheel (or $5 a strip), easy to install and airs up with a floor pump. It converts regular rims to tubeless rims so you can either run UST or run tubed tires (however, I heard that it is pretty hard to install some UST tires with the strip).
    I ran Stans tubeless with regular tires for a couple years, then tried the Maxxis tubeless system for a couple months, and I'm ultimately back with tubes. I had pretty good success with Stans, but filling up the tires with sealant every couple of months and/or changing tires got to be a PITA.

When I built my 575 up, I got a set of DT5.1 wheels built, intending on getting the DT Tubeless kit for the 5.1s at some point. That was January, and I have yet to flat on this wheelset so I just keep running tubes. I don't know why this combination has proven to be flat proof thus far, but it has.

The big problem I had with Stans/Maxxis is that unless I ran 40psi, the tires felt really squirly in the corners. I could feel pronounced rolling that was very scary at speed. I'm sure it is partly due to me being 195, and partly do to running non-UST tires in a tubeless fashion. I really only went tubeless because I hate changing flat tires, but so far so good with the tubes this time. Check back with me at the end of the summer and see if I have the same viewpoint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I ran Stans tubeless with regular tires for a couple years, then tried the Maxxis tubeless system for a couple months, and I'm ultimately back with tubes. I had pretty good success with Stans, but filling up the tires with sealant every couple of months and/or changing tires got to be a PITA.

When I built my 575 up, I got a set of DT5.1 wheels built, intending on getting the DT Tubeless kit for the 5.1s at some point. That was January, and I have yet to flat on this wheelset so I just keep running tubes. I don't know why this combination has proven to be flat proof thus far, but it has.

The big problem I had with Stans/Maxxis is that unless I ran 40psi, the tires felt really squirly in the corners. I could feel pronounced rolling that was very scary at speed. I'm sure it is partly due to me being 195, and partly do to running non-UST tires in a tubeless fashion. I really only went tubeless because I hate changing flat tires, but so far so good with the tubes this time. Check back with me at the end of the summer and see if I have the same viewpoint.
    amen to that... I've had these wheels for 3 years and this is the first year I'm running tubeless. I'm doing tubeless mostly for goathead prevention. I find that running lower pressures gave better traction but I HATE that soft semi-flat feeling so even at my weight, I run about 35psi or more. I was doing some super rocky-techie sections last night and heard my sidewalls scrape hard a couple of times and that made me check the sidewalls (Stan's won't do anything for sidewall tears) but I was lucky..
    Did the Maxxis strips seal up pretty well?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Did the Maxxis strips seal up pretty well?
    Actually, yes. I got a "kit" from Maxxis that was two rim strips, two tires (although tiny little XC 1.95 type tires), some golf balls, a patch kit, tire levers and other assorted junk for like $20 on a special they had a while back.

Using the tires that came with the kit, I could get a seal without any soap & water or Stans solution at all. Something that didn't happen with Stans. In theory I expected them to work a little better than Stans, but my experience was they worked incredibly well with Maxxis tires and not so well with the other tires I tried (Schwalbe & Kenda).

I could get all the tires to seal up, but the Schwalbe Jimmy was downright frightening to ride. The Kenda Nevegal felt OK, but I really didn't put a ton of miles on the Maxxis tubeless system before ski season hit and then I built my new bike and wheelset up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast