Livin' the Dream

DHX Air vs. RP23, Fox Float 32 RLC vs. Marz AM SL

Here's the deal, my buddy hurt his back so I got to ride his 575 for a few months, but he is better now and took it back! Anyway, I'm hooked and I gotta get one. I need some opinions on some things. I can't afford to do anything more than the enduro kit, but I read the recent thread on build kit, great info there. I can upgrade smaller pieces later, but am having trouble on the suspension. Although cool, is the DHX upgrade going to make a noticeable difference for someone 185lbs? What are the real benefits to it? Would I be better off sticking w/ RP23 instead and putting that extra $ into the front fork? In my area there are mostly moderate xc trails w/ a few jumps/drops, although I am probably getting tranferred to the Vancouver area next year and I may see more agressive riding. Having ridden the RP3 I never found myself "wanting" for more though. Front susp., '07 Fox 32 Float or '06 Marz AM SL? I don't know anything about either one, I'm just picking those two based off postings, reviews, druel factor, etc. And of course, black ano or raw? Which one will look better longer? Last any recommendations on places to buy? Obviously want to keep the price low. Any other suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated, I just like reading all things YETI!
    Last edited by Asbury; 10-29-2006 at 03:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I don't have a Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by Asbury
    Here's the deal, my buddy hurt his back so I got to ride his 575 for a few months, but he is better now and took it back! Anyway, I'm hooked and I gotta get one. I need some opinions on some things. I can't afford to do anything more than the enduro kit, but I read the recent thread on build kit, great info there. I can upgrade smaller pieces later, but am having trouble on the suspension. Although cool, is the DHX upgrade going to make a noticeable difference for someone 185lbs? What are the real benefits to it? Would I be better off sticking w/ RP23 instead and putting that extra $ into the front fork? In my area there are mostly moderate xc trails w/ a few jumps/drops, although I am probably getting tranferred to the Vancouver area next year and I may see more agressive riding. Having ridden the RP3 I never found myself "wanting" for more though. Front susp., '07 Fox 32 Float or '06 Marz AM SL? I don't know anything about either one, I'm just picking those two based off postings, reviews, druel factor, etc. And of course, black ano or raw? Which one will look better longer? Last any recommendations on places to buy? Obviously want to keep the price low. Any other suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated, I just like reading all things YETI!
    But I'm selling my DHX5a to get an RP3 or 23. I can't get it working as well as the RP3 on my friends bike. It tends to blow through its travel when it has the correct amount of sag,

This is on a Turner 5-spot, so it's possible that the suspension is different enough that it's not a fair comparison. Since you rode/liked the RP3, I say go with it.

Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mine came with a DHX5.0 air and I have never used a RP23. That being said, the RP23 is cheaper, weight less (~200g less) and it's easier to change the settings on the fly. My friend has a RP23 or RP3 on his 575 and when reaching a climb he just reaches down to turn the knob while pedaling. I cannot do that. Also, the DHX has more adjustments so it takes more time to find the correct tuning for you.

Those are things you may want to take into consideration. Your weight and usage are not an issue in my opinion. Both can handle freeride and all-mountain terrains.

S.

Positive Vibe Technician

Wheels

i don't mind the rpl3 (never ridden the 32) or the Vanilla (i like the squish up front). Unless yeti has changed the enduro kid I would put the $$$ on a new set of wheels! That seemed to be the weekest link in that build kit in the past. Also a new seat post clamp (if they havent changed this also).

good luck,
    Shaner
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
    I would agree on the wheels being the weak link on the Enduro build, especially the rear hub. It takes a long time to engage the freewheel. This has caused me to have to bail on a lot of technical hill climbs. What I mean is you pedal hard to a rock, coast a little to get past and when you get back on the pedals you lose your momentum waiting for the hub to engage. I would put some money on a good rear hub and maybe upgrade the fork too. I have the Vanilla RL and while it works pretty good I can feel some flex getting through rock gardens, especially on the downhills. I'm not having any problems with the stock seat post, acutually like it. And the RP23 seems like a set it and forget it shock -- though if you move to Vancouver you might want the DHX. If you buy from Full cycles they will let you make any changes you want to the Enduro package, often at no upgrade charge.
    What, me hurry?