mtbr member

DHX Air vs. Float CTD on SB-95 for bigger rider

I'm waiting for Yeti to get back to me on this topic ... thought I'd ask here also.

I currently have a '13 SB-95 w/ the Float CTD shock (w/ a .6 air volume spacer installed)
    My riding weight is 215. Lots of chunky New England "AM" riding.

The Float CTD is ok, but I'm often blowing right thru the travel.

Would the DHX Air help in this regard?

I see forum member Bear put the CCDB on his SB-95.
    I can't really afford a CCDB right now.

thanks!

ps - I'm amazed by how well this bike handles for a 29er!

DHX Air vs. Float CTD on SB-95 for bigger rider-img_0843.jpg

Long live the ASR-7
    Get ready for the DHX Air hate. No one seems to like it. Look into PUSH Industries. They do some incredible work.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have a PUSHed coil on my Nomad. It's so dialed in for my bike and terrain.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    My advice would be to either get your Float pushed, try a RockShox Monarch Plus, or save your pennies for either a Float X or the DBAir.

I'd still believe the Float X may need custom tuning, so much of the shock market these days are focused on riders below 200# so those of us of honest weight need to keep things in mind.

mtbr member
    Thanks bear, was hoping you'd chime in.
    I've been reading all your sb-95 related posts.

Guess I'll do more research and start saving

.....for a CCDB maybe.

beater

DHX Air vs. Float CTD on SB-95 for bigger rider

Consider the X-Fusion Vector Air HLR, too. It's much cheaper than a CCDB-A, and IME, dramatically better than the DHX-A it replaced.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Mr. Knowitall
    On my SB-66 I had very good experience with the RS Vivid Air.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The problem with the vector and vivid shocks is that they do not come in sizes that fit the 95.

The 95 takes a 7.5x2 shock and there is no room for a longer eye to eye nor for longer stroke.

One thing in have really come to appreciate about the ccdb is that all internal dampoing tuning needed for other shocks is done by the four external adjusters on the shock. It is a system that works really well.

Full disclosure: my dbair was bought thru lbs from qpb. It had an internal part fail after only a couple weeks. Cane Creek warranty repaired it for me (suspension experts do the work). Only cost to me was shipping to NC. It was back within a work week. Of course, my rp23 has been twice to fox for warranty repair. YMMV.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    Get ready for the DHX Air hate. No one seems to like it. Look into PUSH Industries. They do some incredible work.
    I'll skip the DHXA hate, except to say that I have it.
    much, much more bang/buck to have your float tuned than to get a new shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    I currently have a '13 SB-95 w/ the Float CTD shock (w/ a .6 air volume spacer installed)
    My riding weight is 215. Lots of chunky New England "AM" riding.
    At your weight, raising the ifp 25-50psi will increase the full range of compression damping and bring the shock into a more usable range for you. Its a boost valve, so it will still spike on square edge, but this will increase platform damping, midstroke support, and bottoming resistance. This is fairly easy to do, but you will need ~35$ in tools/material. I would seriously consider trying this before you drop 500+ bones on a new shock.

For example, I'm 165lb and run 150psi (spring) in my '13 ctd with the middle size volume spacer (stock). The stock ifp tune is 175psi and that is just barely enough for my weight and to balance well with the lsc of the fork. I have ran it as low as 125 (very plush, blew through the travel, and required a considerable increase in lsr) and as high as 225psi for a day at the bike park, which was pretty stiff. Raising the ifp will also make trail mode stiffer.

mtbr member
    As far as your question regarding whether or not a new shock will help with midstroke/bottoming, it all depends on the tune of the shock. At your weight, you are fare enough outside the average window of the stock tune that anything you get may require some tweaking.

mtbr member
    Hmmm I have never liked Fox products, but on my sb95 I actually can't complain about the ctd float shock, I immediately swapped out the fork for a revelation which is nice. I came to this bike from a dh back ground and did fairly well with that. I fiddled around a lot with my dh bike suspension and started out with a lighter spring/heavy damping setting and learned that I liked a more heavy spring/light damping sort of settings. That said I find the float ctd shock works pretty well. I weigh 220 riding weight and pump it up to around 235(I just measured, 11.3 mm sag about 22%). I ride mostly in descend and only go into the trail position for longer smoother climbs. So if you like the high spring/light damping feel then the ctd works pretty well. Plenty of people better than me like a more damped feel and I can imagine the shock wouldn't feel good for this.

When I do get some money I would like to try a monarch plus on this bike, but surprisingly it hasn't been a priority for me.

Mr. Knowitall
    Float X with AVA mod?

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Buy the cheapest DHX air you can find than send it to Avalanche suspension
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked