Nightriding rules SuperModerator

derrailleur hanger color... any difference?

Hi!

I bought a silver derailleur hanger from a guy on ebay, and the one that came stock on my 575 is black, is there any actual difference in the hanger besides the color?

Thanks in advance,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Hi!

I bought a silver derailleur hanger from a guy on ebay, and the one that came stock on my 575 is black, is there any actual difference in the hanger besides the color?

Thanks in advance,
    Cris
    if your new and old one match up side by side, you should be OK. Black anodizing maybe the only difference. A number of bike manufacturers don't make their own hangers so there are economies of scale to be had if manufacturers went "generic" (the 575 dropout may fit a variety of other bikes). As long as it has the appropriate 2mm bolt holes and fits on the stays, you should be ok.
    For a good source of aftermarket hangers, check this site out:
    derailleurhanger.com

Thanks, flipnidaho!

Yeah, the silver one I just bought is identical to the stock one (it even has the Yeti drawing on it ) I was just wondering if there was a different "version" of the hanger.

Cheers,
    Cris

clone
    May 2004
    The black one is a little tougher, so I'm led to beleive.

Ami Schwein

care to elaborate?
    Wait until Spring Bandini

Rat Fink
    SIlver looks better on my raw 575.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by idiot
    I can't imagine that the sliver is even more flexible. My only complaint with my Yeti's is that the black hangers have given way just a little too easily.

clone
    May 2004
    Paul Rowney (former multi Aust Nat Champ, Team Yeti rider, Norba winner and Australian Yeti distributor) told me in the pits at the Syd 24hr race as he pulled one off a bike.

Aparently the silver ones were a little fragile, hence the replacement black ones are a touch tougher. He also suggested it wasn't a big difference.

I broke my first (silver) one about a month ago (stick to derailleur). It did fail rather easily - but that's kinda the idea, isn't it - derailleur wasn't damaged at all. I replaced it with a black one Rowney gave me - but I still have a spare silver one and have no qualms about bolting it up.

My advice? Don't stress the colour, it's designed to break. Ignore the colour - but carry a spare.

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by idiot
    Paul Rowney (former multi Aust Nat Champ, Team Yeti rider, Norba winner and Australian Yeti distributor) told me in the pits at the Syd 24hr race as he pulled one off a bike.

Aparently the silver ones were a little fragile, hence the replacement black ones are a touch tougher. He also suggested it wasn't a big difference.

I broke my first (silver) one about a month ago (stick to derailleur). It did fail rather easily - but that's kinda the idea, isn't it - derailleur wasn't damaged at all. I replaced it with a black one Rowney gave me - but I still have a spare silver one and have no qualms about bolting it up.

My advice? Don't stress the colour, it's designed to break. Ignore the colour - but carry a spare.
    There is a fine line behind designed to break and bending easily. My experience this year is that they bend a little too easily. I've had that experience with the black ones.

Thanks guys.. I'll keep it in mind

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Broke a black one on my 575 tonight...2nd attempted ride on the dam thing and 50 yards into the trail

My own fault, I was in the big ring and didn't realize it (coasting downhill start), hairpinned into a small climb, downshifted to climb and must have crossed/bound everything up. Hanger sheared way too easily imo, I didn't really feel any load before it went.

Will definitely carry a spare with me from now on. Those 50 yards rode great on the 575 though

In my mind, I can do it!

Carry a spare....

These derailleur hangers are really soft. Buy a $10 spare and carry it with you. It's $15 to straighten at a bike shop but $10 to replace it. Whether black or silver there are only 2 kinds of Yeti derailleur hangers. Those that have been bent and those that will. Carry a spare....