mtbr member

Crossmax SL's ona 575

Tribe, I posted this on the wheels forum, but thought I'd get the opinion of some 575 owners. I know the sl's are considered racing tires, but I've read in more than one place that they are much stiffer and tougher than people realize and, since I'm not a hucker, and am a closet weight-weenie . . .

------------------------

I know I can have awesome wheels built for much less, but I like the look and the bling factor of the SL’s, and am hoping to pick them up the next time they are on clearance somewhere. I ride mainly XC, but in New England XC means uninterrupted technical, rim banging, wheel skipping terrain: trails strewn with unavoidable BIG boulders, ledges, 2 foot drops, etc. Are my riding conditions overkill for these wheels?

For reference, I ride a 575, AM SL, 2.25 tires, 7 inch rotor up front, weigh 190lbs, and am getting much better at finessing rather than muscling through/over obstacles (I thank my riding time/much improved balance on the bike).

Thanks,
    Ant

mtbr member
    My bike in it's natural habitat:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm a unitard!
    I don't have a 575. I have an ASR, but the Crossmax SLs are super sturdy wheels. I think they would be fine on a 575 if you aren't doing big drops. For aggressive, rocky riding, they're fine.

mtbr member

riding style

Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    My bike in it's natural habitat:
    I use the Shimano equivalent of the Crossmax SL (XTR wheelset). I'm not a hucker but it has held true through numerous drops (and lots of trips to Moab, Fruita and St. George) with only minor tweaks... I think the SL's should be OK...

Ti is addictive
    For the price of crossmax's, you could get a custom build on a nice wheelset at as good a weight and stronger rims. (Hubs--DT, CK,I-9,Hadley).....(rims DT 5.1's)

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I am with TiEndo here, I thought about Crossmax when building my 575, but for the money you could do much better... I got Hope Pro2 hubs with DT 5.1s for less than 2/3 of the Crossmax price and the difference in weight is less than 200 grams.

mtbr member
    My 2005 Yeti 575 come with the Crossmax SL wheelset and I rode them on National for ~1 year before I broke 1 spoke. I then started have big time problems with the rear wheel.

For the most part the rims and spokes have been but again I have not had good luck with my rear wheel.

I just got my 2006 AS-R SL with the crossmax sl and I traded them for a new set of Kings. For the money I would go for the Kings

mtbr member

had a similar dilema

when I've built my 575. Many people like them including on this board and I could get a killer deal on the set.
    I gave it up when I thought about the consequences of breaking a spoke. Need to think about that as well IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Crossmax SL - do it!

Hi Antonio,

Go for the SL's - no question.

I have used Crossmax SL for over a year now on my 575.

I regularly do small jumps and smash my way through rocky terrain and have not had to tough them with a spoke key!

They really are super tough and look awesome.

The price should drop soon as the new SLRs are about to appear.

Regards,

Ian.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Spokes on SL's

What is all this about spokes - you can replace a spoke on the SL , you just need to have the foresight to order a couple of spares up front then you don't get caught out.

I had SL's on my F4000SL Dale for nearly two years and no probs there either!

Ian.

mtbr member

Love My SL's

Stiff and Sweet
    Bombs down the rocks on Lower Rock Creek and Cannell Plunge

The SL's just dont know they're race wheels!!!

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

I guess technically, I'm a clyde . . .

. . . at 210 lbs. I have SLs (came with the pro kit) on my 575 and I have been thrilled. Not only am I on the heavy side, I'm a pretty abusive rider (read not skilled as opposed to doing big drops). In a year and a half of hard, rocky trails, I've trued my SLs once and it was a piece of cake. Many grouse about the extra $$ and that's a valid point. For me, however, it was worth every penny. Saving that much rotational weight makes the climbs so much better and I don't think I've made any compromises on downhill performance or durability to get there.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Awesomist™
    I rode a set of CrossMax wheels for 3 years, just got rid of them when I sold my 575 two days ago. Mine were the model year before the SL/XL designation, but they've held up really well, only needed trued a couple of times, and no dings to speak of. I weigh in about 210lbs and ride in Colorado, for the record.

Here's what I DON'T like about mine: the freehub body always seemed to need service. Super easy to do, takes about 7 minutes to pull the thing off, clean it, and put a couple drops of oil in there and put it back together but for the money I will go with something that requires less maintenance next time. I asked my LBS several times about this, and they told me that it was common to see this type of thing with the CrossMax's.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker
    Here's what I DON'T like about mine: the freehub body always seemed to need service. Super easy to do, takes about 7 minutes to pull the thing off, clean it, and put a couple drops of oil in there and put it back together but for the money I will go with something that requires less maintenance next time. I asked my LBS several times about this, and they told me that it was common to see this type of thing with the CrossMax's.
    I would have to agree on the FreeHubs
    I always seemed to loose that stinkin lil spring off the pauls on my bimonthly service...

I have switch from oil lube to Chris King Ring Lube (cost more than gold)
    It looks like mayanase, but it seems to do the job best. Will see how long that lasts.
    Nice smooth quite hubs, kinda wierd that it makes the mavics quite, those kings sound like fishing reels spinnin out on a large tuna.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had my crossmax SL for almost 2 years, I ride hard and in two year I only had to do a maintance only once, because the chain got stock in the spokes and bend a few, but beside this problem I have not had any problem
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now broadcasting from CO
    Maybe check out an 06 model pair of Crossmax XL's. Or the New ST's or SX's if you want more durability with a still low weight. I also like TiEndo's idea... CK wheels are hot

Peace
    Brought to you by rocks.

Who is John Galt?

Like the silver rims

My 575 has Nevegals and black rims, seems like too much black to me. The silver rims would be a nice look I think. Not that I ever see any fashion police out on the trail!
    What, me hurry?