mtbr member

Convert ASR-5 to 1x10

I've got a 2012 ASR-5 alloy that's currently running Shimano XT 2x10. I rarely, if ever, use the small ring (I mainly ride singlespeed, so I tend to push a big gear anyway) and am thinking about just converting the Yeti to 1x10. Is it simply a matter of removing the inner chainring and rear derailleur? Do I have to go Narrow-Wide on the front CR? The CR is virtually brand new so I'd like to keep it if I can. If not, a 32 tooth RaceFace NW would probably be an easy swap and give me a bit better range.

Will the Shimano XT Crank provide the right chainline for the entire cassette? My guess is no. I'm guessing that a specific 1x chainring has some "dish" to it that pushes it closer to the frame so that the "big - big" gear combo has less chain bend.

Do I need a chain guide as well?

mtbr member
    While this is an old post thought I'd comment as I have the same bike and have run 1x10 on it since I built it in late 2011.

To answer your question about your current crank set up. Yes, the XT 2x crank can be used as a 1x setup. You will need to run the bigger ring that is closest to the outside of the bike for the chain line to line up. If you had a 3x front this would be the middle one. You can look at the chain line and see which one lines up closest to the middle of the cassette. For the XT 3x crank I had on my hardtail it was the middle one. For the 2x it might be the inner one ... just make sure you cycle the gears and see which one functions best. I would personally get a narrow wide chain ring but it is not required.

For the rear mech you will want to upgrade that to a clutch system one if you don't already have one. If on a budget you can run a Shimano Zee or even one of the new SLX versions.

As for the chain guide, I personally found them more trouble than worth. I've never dropped a chain when using a clutched rear mech but I also don't do hard fast down hill trails either.

This is mine from last year during Tribe Running Zee crankset and rear mech with 1x10 10-36 cassette.
    Convert ASR-5 to 1x10-12898330_10201872320647865_3493023315628305956_o.jpg

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Great advice.

The only thing I'd add is that a narrow-wide ring does make big difference, in my experience. A narrow-wide plus a clutch-style derailleur more or less negates the need for a chain guide unless you're riding super crazy stuff. I've done a full week of Whistler DH runs with only a NW ring and a clutch derailleur and never thrown a chain.
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp