Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Considering Another SB95c Paint Project - Gauging Interest

I've been talking with the member on here that recently posted about cracking the top-tube on his 95c.

Who would be interested in the frame if I bought it, had it repaired, then painted it to look like new, just as I'm doing to my own in another thread? (I'm trying really hard to keep this from sounding like a sales pitch - this is just an idea and I'm merely gauging interest).

I may buy the frame and have a reputable company like Calfee repair it. I will then paint it to look like-new. From there it would be for sale. (it is a Medium-size and sounds like its in great shape overall).

If someone would commit to the purchase before I begin, the buyer could have input on how the frame is designed and painted in accordance to their budget.

This could be a really cool opportunity for someone to get a 95c with a brand-new finish and potentially with a unique look.

I'm just looking for input and potential interest to see if it is worth my time. (He has other people interested in buying it as well, so this sounds like it may not happen regardless.)

mtbr member
    I can't speak for anybody else but NO WAY would I ride a "repaired carbon" bike, especially a mountain bike. The possibility of a structural failure, at least in my mind, would be a constant concern.

That being said, if I ever wanted to have a Yeti custom painted, I'd come to you and have it painted in their classic Yeti Blue & Yellow race colors like that SB6C they released last year.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I can't speak for anybody else but NO WAY would I ride a "repaired carbon" bike, especially a mountain bike. The possibility of a structural failure, at least in my mind, would be a constant concern.

That being said, if I ever wanted to have a Yeti custom painted, I'd come to you and have it painted in their classic Yeti Blue & Yellow race colors like that SB6C they released last year.
    That is mostly why I'm asking. I'm afraid the disclosure of the repair will scare people.

BUT, for example, Calfee guarantees the strength and integrity of the repair. They would have a lot of liability on their hands with this type of work, so i would assume their work is trusted and legitimate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have seen the pictures, and that small nick in the top tube would not worry me if it was repaired. It doesn't seem to be in a high stress load spot. Unfortunately I have a brand new SB5 frame, or I would bite.

Now, I have a cracked SB5 frame that I want to call Calfee about that is broken on the bottom the head tube. That is a scary place for repair!

mtbr member
    I like the idea; and it's a great way to recycle a nice bike back to life.
    Last edited by bpnic; 04-02-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.