mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Considering a 575 - Please Help

All,

I am considering buying a 575, and had a few questions (I did a search first) that hopefully some of the more experienced can answer. There is not a Yeti dealer in SC, so before I make the drive to a NC bike shop, wanted to make sure that I am going down the right path. My main question concerns how the 575 handles small bumps (rocks / roots 1" to 1.5") both in the flat and on steep climbs. Is it a plush ride, or does it get that "hung up" feel. I currently ride a Turner 5 Spot, so if any one can give a comparison, I would greatly appreciate. Second question concerns the DHX-A vs RP23, any big issues that I should be concerned about between the two. Ignoring weight, is there a clear cut performance advantage to either (i.e. which one provides the smoothest ride). FWIW, I am 5' 9.5", 185lb.

I appreciate any insight that you could provide.

RT

Who is John Galt?
    Those kinds of roots won't affect you on this bike provided you get the sag set right. I do have some momentum killing problems going uphill against roots, but I get past it by keeping the speed up. Our trails right now are covered with leaves, I've been just hammering across the rocks and roots and hardly notice they are there.
    What, me hurry?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    From what I have heard, the 5 Spot and 575 ride similar (never ridden a 5 spot), so as Big Jim Mac suggest it could be a technique issue.. momentum is your friend

Regarding the shock comparision the RP23 is lighter and easy to setup, the DHX is a little trickier to tune, but more customizable. There are no "big issues" with them.. they both rock!

mtbr member
    The 575 soaks up the small stuff great.

The 5 Spot has a longer wheelbase, so it should a bit more stable on downhills, but the shorter wheelbase of the 575 should make it better for twisty singletrack and switchbacks. I've never ridden a 5 Spot, so this is just an observation based on what I've read and what people have said.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks!

All,

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Are there any differences between the 06 and 07s? I am assuming that a medium would be the correct size for a 5-9 er like myself. Any recommendations as far as purchasing one? Obviously looking for the best deal.

Thanks

RT

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wrtaylo
    All,

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Are there any differences between the 06 and 07s? I am assuming that a medium would be the correct size for a 5-9 er like myself. Any recommendations as far as purchasing one? Obviously looking for the best deal.

Thanks

RT
    I think Will @ Fullcycles has done a great job price wise and customer service wise taking care of those of us that have purchased from him.

Find the build that best suits you the closest and make changes as needed. The '06 vs '07, the shocks / forks changed 3 months ago. The kits have stayed the same so far as I can tell except for the XTR one gets the new XTR stuff.

I went with the RP3 vs DHX cause the air pressures needed were too high IMHO @200#'s

I just tried another 575 on the trail today and it had a Vanilla and it was nice, the Float might be a waste of $$. I would upgrade to a TA w/ Pike so that changes a wheel and fork. That depends on how you will ride it.

For the price it cannot be beat, but if price is not a consideration than there are competitors.

Rob

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Frameset Only

Thanks,

I am actually going with just a frameset, I have enough stuff to build it up. I have a new 140 vanilla, so I will probably go that route. I just got an 06 Zocchi All Mountain 1, which i am thinking might also be a good fit for the bike. It has a high AC stack, but it is only 150mm, so should work out with the geometry.

RT

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    You can still contact Will for a great deal on the frameset, that's exactly what I did

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by wrtaylo
    Thanks,

I am actually going with just a frameset, I have enough stuff to build it up. I have a new 140 vanilla, so I will probably go that route. I just got an 06 Zocchi All Mountain 1, which i am thinking might also be a good fit for the bike. It has a high AC stack, but it is only 150mm, so should work out with the geometry.

RT
    both those forks will be very nice on this bike. If you wan't to slacken it out a bit (which is a good thing imo) go with the Zoke.

BTW...medium is perfect for your height. I ride a med and i'm 1 or 2 inches shorter and borderline small/med.