mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Coil rear on the SB-66

Lets talk more about this setup. I know there are a few folks in this forum that have run them. If memory serves me correct one is running a Fox RC4 and the other a CCDB (or maybe he sold the bike already). Before I go down the road of pricey tinkering with coil shocks I want to try and understand a little more about the design of switch and its ability to use rear coil setups.

Having seen some posts about the CCDB her I think the CCDB would be a good setup for this bike adding a little weight but a great return in the descent and technical riding dept. I believe this RP23 with adaptive logic that comes with the bike has the fox adaptive logic and boost valving which helps with the platform damping and bottom out control. Is that correct?

I've had this bike for about a month now with several good rides and absolutely love the way it climbs. I don't know enough about the switch design yet but if you go with a coil on this bike are you going to lose some of what the RP23 design provides in terms of climbing and bottom out control? Or is some of the platform support a part of the switch design?

I came from a 7 and Yeti specifically says that bike can be run as air or coil. Maybe I have missed that with the SB-66.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    I came from a 7 and Yeti specifically says that bike can be run as air or coil. Maybe I have missed that with the SB-66.
    Yeti also says thos about the SB66

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Good to know. Anyone take their coil SB-66 on extended big mountain climbs?

mtbr member
    I've been really impressed with the Monarch Plus on the SB66.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    That's good to know, since I am liking the the idea of a piggy back shock with bottom out control on the SB66 and sounds like a good match for my Lyrik DH solo fork.

So Scott, how would you compare the SB66 to the FB if you don't mind me asking? The reason being, I almost bought a "bird" last year, but opted out due to sizing and unexpected knee surgery that had me off the bike for a good couple of months.

I am coming off a Banshee Rune over the past couple of years which was a pretty fun, verstaile trail bike, but loving the SB66 big time for just about anything right now. Such a fun bike to have out on the trail that begs to be pushed fairly hard.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Lets talk more about this setup. I know there are a few folks in this forum that have run them. If memory serves me correct one is running a Fox RC4 and the other a CCDB (or maybe he sold the bike already). Before I go down the road of pricey tinkering with coil shocks I want to try and understand a little more about the design of switch and its ability to use rear coil setups.

Having seen some posts about the CCDB her I think the CCDB would be a good setup for this bike adding a little weight but a great return in the descent and technical riding dept. I believe this RP23 with adaptive logic that comes with the bike has the fox adaptive logic and boost valving which helps with the platform damping and bottom out control. Is that correct?
    Well not exactly true about the rp2.
    It does the oposite in my opinion and is not suited for that linkage design.
    Best shock for that leverage curve is some linear shock with ramp up in last 1/3 of travel which are basically all pigiback shock with volume adjusters and pressure you can choose how much it should ramp up and how far in the travel should this ramp up beginning.

The sb66 has pretty low Lev ratio on sagged height so it is necessary you have pretty open compresion tune on the shock and low friction(again favor for coil), boost valve in my understanding is some sort of not wasting the travel or better say high speed compression equivalent so it can be bad for the sb66 too on edgier faster bumps, basically its not there for preventing the bottom out with ramping up but only with slowing the shock down trough the whole travel. The suspenison on sb in my understanding is designed so that it does not need any help from suspension to create stable pedaling platform. First you could check is what size spacer you have in the air chamber, if you need more ramp up fit the biggest posible there, that way you can use less presure and also gain some more plushness that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How is Elka compared to CCDB? I heard its good as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    Yep. Settled on a pushed plus as I ran one on my 7. Awesome shock.