mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Clydes: 575 rear pressure/rebound?

I'm 6' 2", 220... I had been running 220/215 on the rear shock of my 575, but I demoed an SB 95 last weekend, then redid the same ride the next day on my 575, and realized maybe I'm not getting everything out of this bike that I should be... the rear end on the 95 was VASTLY better pedaling uphill, to the point where I was getting frustrated on my bike.

I went up to 235 in the rear, and I haven't been able to try it out really, yet, but are other guys running tons of pressure in these, and if so, do you know what rebound setting you like? I don't want to feel like I'm getting thrown off of the bike, and I think I tend to change things conservatively, so if other people are starting at a significantly different point, I'd be curious to hear about it.

I may just need to take the plunge on the 95 (whole different discussion), but my wife will like me more if I figure out a way to stay on this bike a while longer.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Which year 575 and are you running the standard air can or high volume on your rp23?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    2010, standard can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Could it be that you just feel in love with the SB-95?

I had the same issue on my 575 and utimately purchased a Pushed Monarch RT. Being a clyde I could never get the RP23 right without running higher PSI which translated into a choppier ride. For me the Monarch RT addressed the issue and changed the bike in good way. Correct sag without to much PSI, better hook up on climbs and descending. I suppose it would be a cheaper option than a new bike purchase.

In the end the SB platform is just a different animal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Im 5'11" and 230. I run ~245psi in my rear shock(rp23) and that gives me about 23-25% sag on the rear. I rarely use Propedal with it at that pressure too.
    For my rebound, I really know it off the top of my head, I would need to go recount the clicks to know for sure. I can do that when I get home.

The SB's suspension design really gives it a firm pedal feel, to me almost like a hardtail. It definately resists pedal bob while the 575 reduces it greatly but it is there. So that could be the biggest difference that you felt.
    2012 Yeti 575 Race
    2013 Niner AIR 9

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oh yeah, clearly the SB rear was way better at pedaling... and yes, I'm definitely in love with it... but this bike is less than a year old, so dropping $4500 on a new one... yeesh... dunno, I did just get a new job and I'm about to get cashed out on all my old vacation, so the SB95 is in the realm of possibility (I'm actually considering an enduro build vs. the XT setup I've currently got, I liked the bike so much)... big wheels also helped it go up stuff.

I *am* trying to be objective about the comparison, and the fact is that I had to put a foot down about twice as much, if not more, when riding the 575 on the technical ascent I did on both bikes, and that my average speed (including a lot of just farting around with my dad and my kid, who was on a Strider bike) on the SB95 was higher. Going downhill, I thought the 575 had a much better feel on the back end - just plush and bottomless... but that same stuff made it more of a pig on the uphills. Like Troutinco said, the SB95 felt like a hardtail (+) on the uphills.

Thanks for the data on your RP23, Troutinco... I will try my 235, and maybe even go up a bit, and see how that goes... if I can't get it dialed and I decide a new bike is insane, then maybe I'll look at getting this thing Pushed.

I just think about being out there on the Laramie Enduro again, cranking out washboard road miles on the big wheels, and my heart goes pitter pat...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just curious, what size is your 575 and what size sb95 did you demo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    575 is a Large, SB95 was a medium... which seems to really affect only the reach of the cockpit and the length of the seat tube. It had a 140mm fork. I'd probably go for a large, but the medium actually did not feel small. I had tried out a Giant Anthem 29 the day before, and the standover on the large was sort of scary, but the medium cockpit definitely felt small.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got it, thanks. FWIW, I demoed the sb95 a few months ago and promptly put one on order after having a similar experience riding it. I'm thinking you could probably get a decent buck for that 575 if you threw it up on the classifieds....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LookerBob View Post
    I'm 6' 2", 220... I had been running 220/215 on the rear shock of my 575, but I demoed an SB 95 last weekend, then redid the same ride the next day on my 575, and realized maybe I'm not getting everything out of this bike that I should be... the rear end on the 95 was VASTLY better pedaling uphill, to the point where I was getting frustrated on my bike.

I went up to 235 in the rear, and I haven't been able to try it out really, yet, but are other guys running tons of pressure in these, and if so, do you know what rebound setting you like? I don't want to feel like I'm getting thrown off of the bike, and I think I tend to change things conservatively, so if other people are starting at a significantly different point, I'd be curious to hear about it.

I may just need to take the plunge on the 95 (whole different discussion), but my wife will like me more if I figure out a way to stay on this bike a while longer.

Thanks.
    This difference in feel comes from the suspension curves. I don't think that you will be able to replicate the 95 feel at lower psi with the 575 at high psi or any setting for that matter. I imagine that different suspension curves would suite different types of terrain. You might just be testing it on stuff where the 95 is particularly good.

Also, the tires...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, I don't expect it to feel like the SB95... I just want to get more out of it on the climbs... though we kind of went off on a tangent, I mentioned the SB95 mainly as the reason that I realized maybe I needed to change the setup on my 575.

The one thing I actually did not like on the SB95 was the tires - racing ralphs. I've got a nevegal on the front of my 575, and a small block 8 on the back. I thought the Schwalbes didn't have enough bite in looser corners.

I was riding both at Curt Gowdy in Wyoming, which is representative of about 90% of the type of riding I do... combination loose gravely single track, smooth dirt single track, and technical rock features.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm running the new 575 enduro with the rp2. I too am about 225 I run therear about 235-240psi and 5 clicks on my rebound. It's feeling just soft enough for my likening. Now I'm thinking of a 29er build but like you that's another discussion.