Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Clyde Rolling on a Yeti SB95

Just got her home!!

It's my Christmas gift from my wonderful Wife...Thank You so much!!

Now my truck and bike is rolling on Fox Shocks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hearty congratulations! This past summer I picked up a 2013 Big Top race build and have loved every minute riding it this past 5-6 months. So I can only imagine the joy you'll experience peddling around on a FS Yeti 29'r.

Alas there is one specific thing I have not loved about it and that is the DT Swiss XR400 rims and I'm not the only one. I hate to rain on your parade a bit here, but already I have experienced 2 dents in the rear and have had it professionally re-trued. A mere 3 rides after truing, during which I kept the air pressure around 38-40 psi, it has again developed a significant hop and even the front wheel is beginning to wobble a bit.

TBH I'm pretty frustrated and disappointed with the rims considering how much I spent on the bike. I will soon take my concerns up with the Yeti warranty department and we'll see how that goes. So all that being said, if I had to do it over again the first thing I'd do is Ebay the stock wheels and use those funds to acquire a much more durable set of hoops.

You may have better luck given that your rear rim is better protected by the SB suspension, but there are at least 2 other guys on the forum with SB95's who've experienced similar issues with the XR400's.

Hopefully I haven't brought you down, the rest of the bike will be phenomenal I'm certain, but being as you just received it you still have a chance to be proactive regarding the wheels so I wanted to at least make you aware of the concern.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the heads up.

I originally was going with the idea of staying with the standard 26" wheels (ASR5 or SB66). So I really didn't research the 29er models. The LBS I dealt with let me test ride everything...even through a near by vacant lot...unwatched! After a few spins on the 29er I was hooked! Anyhow, I'll do a little research on the stock wheels and see what's going on. I weigh 273lbs, so good wheels is important to me.

As for the Big Top, they had one at the shop and it really looked sweet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    No problemo. Here's a good thread to reference pulled from this same sub-forum.
    DT Swiss XR400 rims and Tubeless?

Wish it weren't the case, but on the bright side you are in a great position to leverage the unridden rims to your maximum benefit. So that's kinda a bonus I guess... paradoxically.

At 273 I imagine one rim/wheel you'll want to put near the top for consideration based on "price vs performance" is the Stan's Flow EX. I'm sure more knowledgeable posters will have several more suggestions for you as well.

Good fortunes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you plan on doing anything rocky get rid of the XR400s while they are still new. At 205lbs I tacoed the front on a descent, and went straight over the bars. They lasted ~1,000 miles and were professionally retrued after 500.

I now have the FlowEXs and they're awesome! My shoulder wishes I would have heeded the warnings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntro View Post
    If you plan on doing anything rocky get rid of the XR400s while they are still new. At 205lbs I tacoed the front on a descent, and went straight over the bars. They lasted ~1,000 miles and were professionally retrued after 500.

I now have the FlowEXs and they're awesome! My shoulder wishes I would have heeded the warnings.
    Thanks.

I don't ride much around rocks but wouldn't mind a more durable wheel set for my weight.

So what's the retail on a set of new DT Swiss XR400's?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had two dents, 1 true after less than 100 miles. Had Chris king and Stan set up.....never looked back. Not one true in over 200 miles later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm going to see if my LBS can lace in some more sturdier rims and use the same hubs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    Thanks.

I don't ride much around rocks but wouldn't mind a more durable wheel set for my weight.

So what's the retail on a set of new DT Swiss XR400's?
    List price is $99.00

You're gonna love your SB-95! Its such an awesome ride, I have a hard time not throwing a leg over her at least once a day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntro View Post
    List price is $99.00

You're gonna love your SB-95! Its such an awesome ride, I have a hard time not throwing a leg over her at least once a day.
    I'm sure you've heard the expression "Night and Day Difference," or Worlds Apart?"

Well the SB95 is Galaxy's apart from what I was riding!! I took her out this morning and WOW! The SB95 is really light and quick! I almost hugged couple trees because I was coming in way hotter than I normal do lol The gear section made riding so much nicer, I generally only use a couple gears on my old bike but I was flying up and down the gears on the SB95 like nobodies business! I'm really glad I sprung for the XT components, those shifters and derailers are crazy fast! This is also my first experience with a 29er and I'm hooked! The large wheels/tires really rolled over roots with ease vs my old bike which would struggle over the same roots. Example, there I an area where you have to turn just after you squeeze through a couple trees. It forces you to slow down to a crawl and you're then confronted by some decent roots. I almost always bump into these roots having to completely stop. The SB95 with it's larger tires on the other hand didn't blink once, it just kept right on rolling! This was the first time is 7 attempts at this new trail that I didn't have to stop once!

My only complaint so far is the Saddle. I just don't see how you guys can put any decent amount of mile on a traditional mtb seat. It' been an hour since I ode and my rear is still tender lol. I'm goin to install a gel seat ASAP lol

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    My only complaint so far is the Saddle. I just don't see how you guys can put any decent amount of mile on a traditional mtb seat. It' been an hour since I ode and my rear is still tender lol. I'm goin to install a gel seat ASAP lol
    Unsolicited advise, but....I would keep the saddle that comes with it and just get your butt to adjust. The gel seats will put your a$$ to sleep as you get fitter and put more miles in. Probably take about 10 or so ride for your rear to start getting used to it.

FWIW, I was 250+ when I started riding again about 18 months ago. Now 215....
    Yeti SB-95a Black

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    For my 2c, get som Stan's Flow Ex rims laced on to the stock hubs by your shop and ride forth.

...or maybe Frequency i23's ... they seem to be growing on people...

The XR400's are just the *wrong* rim for that bike, no matter the rider.

I have Stan's Flow (predecessor to the Flow Ex) on my SB95 since week two and I've barely been able to get them to notice my riding since June ... and I've done some stupid stuff.

WRT: to the saddle

... it takes a little getting used to maybe, but try it for a while. Play with the saddle tilt angle a bit ... I found that with a slight up-tilt it was a bunch more comfy ... not much, just a bit ... but in the end (ha ha ha) everyone is different and it my just not fit you. I'm okay with the saddle (WTB Rocket) but much more comfy with the one on my other bikes (WTB Silverado) but want something with a bit less harsh angle on the back of the saddle and less ponty nose than the Silverado so my next one will probably be a WTB Volt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Unsolicited advise, but....I would keep the saddle that comes with it and just get your butt to adjust. The gel seats will put your a$$ to sleep as you get fitter and put more miles in. Probably take about 10 or so ride for your rear to start getting used to it.

FWIW, I was 250+ when I started riding again about 18 months ago. Now 215....
    Congratulations on the weight loss!!

Anyhow, the saddle on my Cannondale Trail 7 is more comfortable than my Yeti seat and my rear still hates it lol

But atlas, I may have found a solution to my problem...I just got a package from Areotech I'm so stoked for tomorrow's ride: SB95 + Padded bike shorts = Supreme Happiness!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well, you guys was right about the issues with the XR400s. I put 10 miles on them, 9 miles on beginner loops and one on an intermediate loop. When I got through riding, I noticed a slight noise in the front wheel loading in the truck. Sure enough, it was out round or slightly bent. I didn't even look at the rear. Anyhow, I'm waiting on a call back from the LBS on swapping my rims out and reusing my hubs. The guy said my wheels could be trued but I'm not even going to bother, I would practically live at the shop...provided the XR400s didn't kill me. On a good note, the bike tech mentioned they may know someone who maybe interested in my old rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Unfortunately, not surprised. After Huntro's experience I would even risk going off road with them anymore if I were you. Do on road cardio if you like, but don't tempt fate off road until you get some hoops with an established history of being strong and durable.

Another option, should you want to possibly offset the $100 or so re-lacing charge, is to buy a new Stan's wheel-set online. For example these Flow EX's can be had from Jenson for $530.
    Stan's Notubes Flow Ex 29Er Wheels > S > Stan's No Tubes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Depending on what you can get for the slightly used DT's it could be another economical option for ya. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I talked to the LBS today and my options are $400 for new Stan hoops (laced) or $500 for complete wheels. I need to swing by there tomorrow and get something going.

In the mean time, I still have my KHS XC104 and Cannondale Trail 7. So I'm going to spin them until I get some new shoes for the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Placed an order for a complete set of Stan's Flow Ex wheels today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Placed an order for a complete set of Stan's Flow Ex wheels today.
    Good choice!

I was lucky enough, and informed, to when I had my SB95 race built, I had them build up the Stans ARCH EX for an increase of only $100.

As to your comment on the saddle, I too was not happy with it and swapped mine out.

Bike is awesome!

EDIT: had wrong rims listed, corrected now.
    Last edited by Dr Sloth; 12-21-2012 at 08:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    Good choice!

I was lucky enough, and informed, to when I had my SB95 race built, I had them build up the Stans Flow EX for an increase of only $100.

As to your comment on the saddle, I too was not happy with it and swapped mine out.

Bike is awesome!
    Thanks, I really like he reenforcement of the Stan Flow EX wheels and have high hopes.

I also finally got some padded cargo shorts and underwear which makes a HUGE difference! But I'm still thinking about a padded seat, I know it's more of a Road bike saddle but I real like like the Romin EVO Comp Gel by Specialized. I want something comfy and that let's the blood flow around the tenders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    Good choice!

I was lucky enough, and informed, to when I had my SB95 race built, I had them build up the Stans Flow EX for an increase of only $100.
    Correction. I was sleep deprived when I posted this, down in Brazil, but back home now.

I had the Stans ARCH EX on my bike, not the Flows. But looking at the suggested weights, the ARCH is a little too light and you def want the Flows. I've had no issues with my ARCH EX rims, working perfect, but the weight max listed for them is 230lbs.

mtbr member
    yeah dented my rims on the 95 in less than 2 weeks... saving cash to get some new rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's a slow go on the Stan's wheels.

They sent wheels separate, first the rear wheel but with the wrong parts to make it a through axle. Then they sent the wrong front wheel. It's sitting at the LBS with a Stan's Flow EX mounted on the rear and a DT XR400 on the front. You can tell a huge defference between the two! The Stan's wheel is like 30-50% wider than the DT XR's.

Anyhow, I hope to have it ready to ride sometime this week.

mtbr member
    Is it better to have the Stans Flow or Arch rims for a Clyde on a 29er?
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    Is it better to have the Stans Flow or Arch rims for a Clyde on a 29er?
    Stan' Arch wheel sets are rated @230lbs
    Stan's Flow EX wheel sets are rated @250lbs

I weigh 275lbs, so I went with the Flow EX since their closest to my weight class.

(The above rates are based on the newer Flows, I'm not sure about the older "Flows".)

mtbr member
    Great thanks,
    Pedal Dammit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast