mtbr member

the clown was in

Hey, although I am not new here I have only started posting recently. There is already a thread in the Foes area for my xct5, and this is my Big Top. Owned for about six months now, but not used very much recently.

I originally lusted after a 2010/11 white/turq, but couldn't find one in the UK, so had to settle for a black 2013/14. To liven the bland appearance up a bit I designed a decal kit that was produced at the local mx graphic supplier. The patterns are just made of thick paper.

As soon as they arrived, I set about applying them and building the bike up.

The newer Yeti's arrive with a removable chain guide mount, and as i wanted to run 2x10, i was left with an ugly area behind the crankset. rather than use the 2.5mm spacer the bb arrived with I made a spacer to blend better with the frame.

I got that anodised black. Parts started to arrive:-

And the first ride, to get a feel for the bike and set thing up.

So far so good.

mtbr member
    The bike was first assembled with a few parts borrowed from other bikes, but were replaced as soon a I got a feel for sizes etc..

These pedals were a thankyou gift from a friend who a spanner for, as he got a good result at the w/c in Norway.

And the ten speed parts arrived. I waited for the shadow+ rear mech to become available in black.

On one night ride, the freehub body gave up the ghost. We had to make a decision about how to carry on as it was very early on in the ride, and it seemed a waste to have traveled to the trail. Did we:-
    A:roll back down the hill to the car? Ze boring.
    B:take the chain off and walk the ups, and roll the downs? Very hard work, but a little bit fun.
    C:attempt a fix on the trail, the worst thing that could happen is we revert back to A/B?

We had a look inside and found this:-

luckily, one of the pawls was still more or less intact so we cleaned the hub out with a tissue, and reassembled it with as few parts as possible. It held out for a trimmed down route, and it was still a fun, if noisy ride!

Hope were very helpful with a warranty claim, and replaced the body with the stainless steel version from the trials hub. It is a little heavier but should prove to be far stronger.

The last time I rode the bike was on boxing day, we have a big ride in the local woods, everyone is welcome and it is usually very messy. This year was no different....
    A couple of weeks ago i stripped the Yeti for a proper clean, and she is ready for the coming summer.

Happy trails!

<100%
    I like that color scheme. I wonder when the full carbon version is coming....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    nice build...

mtbr member
    Cheers guys!

Whilst tidying my photos up on the 'puter i found this image.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Great photos - and a really impressive build! I've just managed to get hold of a new 2011 turq frame - they're a bit like hen's teeth now.

nero
    Sweet ass build! I want to go thru that process again but I have two young children that might hinder my progress. priorities......

mtbr member
    If my bike saw this thread it would slap me for treating it like I do.

mtbr member
    cheers guys.

Hope have replaced my gear lever mount this week, they have revised the design slightly after i complained about them. It's a subtle difference but the fit is so much better.

mtbr member
    First ride of the year on the yeti. As the weather was so good this week I pulled a sicky at work, and as the dropper post on my other bike is playing up, I pulled the big top off of the hook and hit the trails.

Having been riding only 26ers for the last few months I had forgotten how different 29ers feel. I had forgotten how good they are.

I'm in no rush to get the other bike fixed....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Looks like you're missing one subtle item:

Yeti Edition Decal Kit for Fox Forks - Slik Graphics

the clown was in-fox_yeti_4_grande.jpg

I ordered them for my bike, although a bit pricey, they are spot on for Yeti turq and look great. Would be a nice addition to your awesome looking rig.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the clown was in-fox_yeti_2_grande.jpg  

Austin, Texas
    So sorry man, I meant to post on the ASR5 thread. Great build you have going!
    Last edited by smokehouse4444; 04-24-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Bikes!
    What a nice looking bike and some awesome photos, the Big Top is on my radar at the moment, but it'll wait until after the SB95c arrives!

Bikes are good
    I picked up the black Big Top last spring, and have become a Yeti and 29r fan all at once. Your bike looks real cool. I'd love those stickers for mine. How do you/did you go about doing that? Can I send you $ and you can send them to Alaska? Very nice looking bike. I'm impressed.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    hey, just looked this thread up as i am looking to part with the yeti. the supplier of the decal kit is 'fusion mx' is hereford, uk. here:- Custom Motocross Graphics - Motocross Backgrounds - Motocross Decals from FusionMX they will be more than happy to help.

so, i am ready to part with the yeti, i find i prefer to ride the 26er, its the bike that always seems to get picked. anyone in the uk looking for a size large big-top frame only, in very good condition as it has had a mixture of pampering and limited use?

Bikes!
    I could be interested if you could pm me some more details please. I'm in the UK too

mtbr member
    incoming...