mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Climbing Position - 5.5 vs 4.5

Hi, can anyone speak to how the 5.5 compares to 4.5 in terms of climbing position for long ascents (not talking technical climbing)? On paper, the 5.5 has a steeper STA than the 4.5.

I'm coming off an Evil Following (due to slack seat angle when seatpost is extended) and trying to decide which yeti is best for me.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Can't speak to climbing position vs the two, but I wouldn't consider the 5.5 if all you do is xc/trail true rides. The 4.5 is a much better trail bike that will climb better even with a slacker seat angle.

If you DO ride bigger/rowdier terrain on the regular, the 5.5 may put a perma-grin on your face.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Can't speak to climbing position vs the two, but I wouldn't consider the 5.5 if all you do is xc/trail true rides. The 4.5 is a much better trail bike that will climb better even with a slacker seat angle.

If you DO ride bigger/rowdier terrain on the regular, the 5.5 may put a perma-grin on your face.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    100% agree with this. Good friend is on a 4.5 and im on 5.5. XC and or smooth go for 4.5 but anything thats rough the 5.5 is just amazing. The friend sold his 6 and is getting a 5.5 and keeping the 4.5 for XC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    4.5c climbs amazing and puts the 6c to shame. Descending the 4.5c is great but nowhere close to the 6c.

DCI
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I owned a Following and now own a 4.5c and a 5.5c. I don't notice any real world seat angle difference between the 4.5c and 5.5c, they both are not as slack as the Evil. The 4.5c is so efficient, its a pretty remarkable bike. All of your power is translated into forward momentum. The 5.5c is an ok climber, about on par with the Following in efficiency but the steeper seat tube angle puts you in a better position and avoids any knee pains on long climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi DCI
    how have you found the sizing on the Following, 4.5c and 5.5c please, how tall are you?
    4.5c is my next frame upgrade from a large 95c, 70mm stem.
    Was considering XL this time but found a great deal on Large frame. some dealers say large as they are roomy some say XL would be good, at 6'1 in in the large bracket for Yeti sizing. My son has a following large and that feels shorter than my 95c, the geo numbers don't tell all the story so don't want to make the wrong size choice! cheers

DCI
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm 5'10.5 so I'm right in between sizes. My Following(sold) was a medium, the 5.5c is a medium and the 4.5C is a large. The large is the way to go, I'm running a 40mm stem and its perfect, ill probably swap out the 5.5c to a large this winter. If its a close call, and your inseam is long enough for the minumum dropper height, i would step up in size and round the shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just picked up a new 4.5c today. I rode a bunch of different bikes and got the 4.5 100% due to how it climbs non technical terrain. I live in an area (Chaffee County Colorado) with a lot of fire roads that lead to solid semi rowdy terrain...more flowy with some techy mixed in for fun.
    The 4.5 climbed as close to my Reeb hard tail of any bike that I rode. When the suspension is in climb mode, you can get out of the saddle and Fing hammer away just like a 32:20 Reeb SS...flick suspension into party mode on the way down and it's on!!

On the DH, I can't really imagine wanting more travel, stiffness or bike . Again, I do not live in Moab or some place with heaps of genuinely difficult terrain. For the majority of trail riding (Salida S Mountain, Rainbow Trail, Colorado Trail, Canyon Creek, Crested Butte, classic Colorado rides, 50-70 mile days, 12 hour racing, Monarch Crest area, etc) this bike really can do it all...

It would be fun to hop on a 5.5 tho and see what she is capable of...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm currently looking at the Following (to use a current wheel set that I love), a 4.5 and a 5.5. If you could have only one bike, which would it be?

My criteria would be:
    - Poppy suspension to ride off roots, bumps etc.
    - Traction on climbs
    - Forgiving of mistakes when descending

Happy to answer more questions to help you guide me.