mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Chris King or Hugi 240 -

Hello everyone, I am building up a 575 and I am still undecided about the wheelset. I am pretty sure I am going with the Mavic 819 rim. I have priced both a Chris King Hub build - $700 and a Hugi 240 build - $400. So is the Chris King hub worth the extra $300??? or would that money be better spent elsewhere?

mtbr member
    IMO that's money better spent elsewhere.
    again, my opinion (I'm sure someone will question my parantage for saying this): of the $350-ish price tag for a king rear hub, you are paying around $200 for the hub and about $150 for the fact that it says "chris king" on it. Sure king makes pretty much the blingest hubs on the market, and if you stop pedaling for a second everyone within a mile of you will know you will know what hubs you have, but there are several "just as good" options at a fraction of the price. DT, Hope, and White come to mind

You are probably going for something flashy here, but... well I have a hard time faulting the old M756 shimano hubs; yes the $55 ones. Once they are broken in they sure are quiet...

Ti is addictive
    I got 2 sets of CK wheels, and 1 set of DT240s...... Really tough call, Kings has slightly better engagement and that pimp factor. But for 300 bucks it all depends on your priorities. DT's will come in lighter definately. More XC'sh, but the 2007 versions have thru axle option now, so It all depends on what you want your bike to do and also what your budget is. For 300 bucks you can upgrade to a masterpiece post, get the Ti bolt kit, and also budget for some hope/salsa skewers ontop of the wheelset and still have some money left over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    TiEndo - since you have both sets, would you say that the engagement makes a big difference for you? Is that feature alone worth the extra money?

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by azmountainkiller
    TiEndo - since you have both sets, would you say that the engagement makes a big difference for you? Is that feature alone worth the extra money?

If I was doing Trials/jumps and FR yes. Since I'm more xc with some AM, not really. If you're building the 575 towards more AM, then maybe its worth the CK. Where are you getting 240's built up for 400 to 819's, I thought I got a deal via Magura wheelset which is rebadged 240s on mavic rims.????

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for all the help.

Here is the link for the Hugi Build

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magura-MTB-26-US...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a link for the CK

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3390&rd=1&rd=1

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oops. I guess those Hubis are the rebaged ones also

Ti is addictive
    No worries, They;re working fine for me (the rebadged ones that is). If you wanna avoid E-bay for those wheels, try Greenfish or Red Barn bicycles. In fact, if you really want CK wheels, I'd give Chad(Red barn Bicycles) or Larry(Mountain High Cyclery) a call.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Try some Hope Bulb hubs. Great value for money on an AM rig.

trail "cleaner"

depends on what you ride....

I see you are a fellow Arizonian. What trails do you spend most of the time riding? I push my 575's pretty darn hard with 90% of the time riding National and all other technical trails shooting off of National. My CK's have been faultless. Even my first set (which are >5 years old) "Discotec" are running fine. They are on their 2nd set of rims. Many of my crew have tried others (which have all failed, Hadley,Shimano, Hope) and we ALL now run CK's. For technical riding, the instant engagement is a BIG PLUS. They'll outlast your bike with proper maintenance.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Do you happen to know the engagement of the hopes? I am looking for the fastest possible.

trail "cleaner"

not as quick as the 'king'

Do you happen to know the engagement of the hopes? I am looking for the fastest possible.
    The only hubs I know of that compare to CK are Hadley 108's (CRAPPY hubs that blow bearings up) and Industry 9. Industry 9 have only been in business for a couple of years... so lets see what happens after they get 5 years of use. Hope probably uses three pawls with a 36 tooth gear. While this is fairly quick, it's nothing compared to the 'king'.
    CK hubs have 72 tooth ring engagement and are capable of holding over 500 foot pounds of torque... Now, that's just a bit more than you, me and 50 other guys can muster up.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I live in east mesa - so I pretty much stick to Usery and Mcdowell Mountains. I tried Hawes once but it was a little too tough with my super heavy bullit.

I think I am going to get the Chris King Wheel Set - with the 819 Rims.

Is upgrading to heavy duty and stainless steel worth it?

trail "cleaner"

Not necessary

I live in east mesa - so I pretty much stick to Usery and Mcdowell Mountains. I tried Hawes once but it was a little too tough with my super heavy bullit.

I think I am going to get the Chris King Wheel Set - with the 819 Rims.

Is upgrading to heavy duty and stainless steel worth it?
    Good choice of rim. BUT, get a good wheel builder. It makes a world of difference. I personally think Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com is one the premier builders and highly suggest him. He also will probably match what price you find elsewhere. Now, WRT the actual rear hub, neither of mine are the heavy duty with the 'fun' bolt on axle. Certainly an option but is it really necessary.....it's your call. If you do go with the standard build hub, MAKE SURE your cassette is either an XT /XTR or SRAM pg 990. Lower build cassettes will 'eat' up the splines on the freehub.
    No dabs allowed!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Even though they are not on your original list, like CRock, I recommend you also look at Hope hubs, they might not be as bling as King, but they are good easily serviceable hubs... I run a set of Hope Pro 2s (convertible front hub ) and they have been great so far. I'm pretty sure Kings are awesome, but you could save some money and still get a sweet set of hubs.
    As AZmtncycler recommends, make sure you get them from a good builder.

Anyhow, they are all great hubs, so you can't really go wrong either way...

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    Good choice of rim. BUT, get a good wheel builder. It makes a world of difference. I personally think Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com is one the premier builders and highly suggest him. He also will probably match what price you find elsewhere. Now, WRT the actual rear hub, neither of mine are the heavy duty with the 'fun' bolt on axle. Certainly an option but is it really necessary.....it's your call. If you do go with the standard build hub, MAKE SURE your cassette is either an XT /XTR or SRAM pg 990. Lower build cassettes will 'eat' up the splines on the freehub.
    That is also the case with DT 240's and Hope Pro2's, aswell as any other hub with an Alloy freehub body.

Personally - I don't think Kings are worth the extra $300 - but then thats not the real price difference. Like others have mentioned above - Mike garcia, Chad from redbarn and Larry from Mtnhigh are the go for any wheelset and other parts

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thank you everyone for all the help - I just got off the phone with Chad from RedBarn, man what a great guy and his price can't be beat.

Ti is addictive
    So whats he building for you........?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For the wheelset I got the Mavic 819 Rims, DT Swiss Spokes, Brass Alloy Nipples, Chris King Iso Front Hub, Chris King Iso Heavy Duty Rear Hub.

Then I ordered some UST tubeless tires and hope skewers.

I got everything for around $825

Ti is addictive
    Chad built up my 2 CK wheelsets, Both DT4.1d's, supercomp spokes, alloy nipples. No truing yet(knock on wood).......He builds em fine (and cheap too....) Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah thank you so much for refering him to me.... you easily saved me 100 dollars.

Ti is addictive
    Most importantly (for Kings), what color.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sorry .... no super big thrills there :-) I just got the silver ones. I wanted to mach the rear swingarm.