trail "cleaner"

Check those main Pivot Bearings!!!!

575 owners..... If you're riding aggressive All mtn. trails, you might want to pop those main pivot bearings out and clean relube annually. I made the mistake and waited a little too long and now one has a 'notchy' feeling. Funny thing is.... all the bearings within the 'dog bone' are all spinnin' freely. I took them apart anyway (removed the dust covers) and cleaned /regreased them. Thought I might as well redo the whole suspension while the shock is out getting 'Pushed'. Glad to have a back-up 575 for times like this. I never miss a ride opportunity
    No dabs allowed!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Good tip... I will take a look in a couple of months.. mine is barely broken in yet

However, at least the main pivot bearings are easily accessible, for the dogbone disassembly, did you use Yeti's tool or some other DIY one?

mtbr member

Main Pivot Bearings Frozen

my main pivot bearings were frozen out of the box...brand spakin' new frame.

i had a ridiculously annoying vibration coming from the rear. looked into to everything that could have been causing it. got a tip about the main pivot bearings being pushed in too far. well, we took them out, and they were frozen.

luckily, no damage seemed to be done to the frame..

so yeah...check those suckers.

trail "cleaner"

bought the tool from Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Good tip... I will take a look in a couple of months.. mine is barely broken in yet

However, at least the main pivot bearings are easily accessible, for the dogbone disassembly, did you use Yeti's tool or some other DIY one?
    Makes removal of the dogbone bearings quick and easy. Too bad I couldn't figure out how to use the thing for the main pivot bearings removal though.
    No dabs allowed!

Beer

New question here.

I am getting a bad creaking on my ASR-SL, which seems to be worse when tension is on the pedals like when climbing. I suspect it is from the main pivot bearings. Apon inpecting them I found out that one of them is very gritty and not very smooth. I have went over everyhting else on the bike, that could be leading to the creak. Could somebody verify if I am right here? So then the next question, is how do you remove and replace these bearings? Or do I have to have a bike shop take care of it for me?

Hi!!!
    Earlier this year my bike was creaking and cracking like crazy. Took my baby to Custom Cycles here in Boise, ID and the pivot berings were gritty. They were relubed and that thing was quiet on the next ride out.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    My 575 has been smooth and quiet so far in my two years of northeast riding where I hose the bike off every other ride. However, I am going to disassemble everything this winter to check bearings and possibly get shock PUSH'ed. I think it could also use a thoughout cleaning and inspection for damage, and I need to install some new parts (custom chainguide anyone?). Thanks for the tip though.

garnetspur, what do you mean the bearings were frozen? If they didn't turn at all then the suspension wouldn't really be able to move I would think?

trail "cleaner"

more likely the pivot itself........

Quote Originally Posted by Endo King
    I am getting a bad creaking on my ASR-SL, which seems to be worse when tension is on the pedals like when climbing. I suspect it is from the main pivot bearings. Apon inpecting them I found out that one of them is very gritty and not very smooth. I have went over everyhting else on the bike, that could be leading to the creak. Could somebody verify if I am right here? So then the next question, is how do you remove and replace these bearings? Or do I have to have a bike shop take care of it for me?
    The main pivot if loose AT ALL will create the most obnoxious creak when hammering along. Now, WRT your bearing removal...I did a search on this forum and found this AS-X main pivot bearings

It's an ASX frame but you'll get the idea.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    575 owners..... If you're riding aggressive All mtn. trails, you might want to pop those main pivot bearings out and clean relube annually. I made the mistake and waited a little too long and now one has a 'notchy' feeling. Funny thing is.... all the bearings within the 'dog bone' are all spinnin' freely. I took them apart anyway (removed the dust covers) and cleaned /regreased them. Thought I might as well redo the whole suspension while the shock is out getting 'Pushed'. Glad to have a back-up 575 for times like this. I never miss a ride opportunity

Good advise, but how do you take the dustcover off to relube? and what kind of grease do you use?
    My main's are notchy and I would love to add some grease to see if that helps
    thanks marc

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    You can remove the dust covers with a thin screwdriver (like the ones used for jewelry of watches) you don't need much force or twisting to do it. I prefer to use thicker grease like Rock & Roll for bearings. I haven't repacked the bearings on my 575, but had done it on my old Epic... easy to do and makes quite a difference, even when they feel a little notchy. One more thing, as long as the races seem fine (no deformation) usually jew grease and cleaning will make them run like new...

Cheers,
    Cris

Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    The main pivot if loose AT ALL will create the most obnoxious creak when hammering along. Now, WRT your bearing removal...I did a search on this forum and found this AS-X main pivot bearings

It's an ASX frame but you'll get the idea.

Thanks for the info!!!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Asrsl

Quote Originally Posted by Endo King
    Mine creaked out of the box. The pivot was frozen from the factory (no lube). After two annoying days, It went to a shop, and the problem was fixed. All my pivots loosen and the creak comes back monthly. One quick bout with the torque wrench and it is gone.

Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    Mine creaked out of the box. The pivot was frozen from the factory (no lube). After two annoying days, It went to a shop, and the problem was fixed. All my pivots loosen and the creak comes back monthly. One quick bout with the torque wrench and it is gone.
    Well I just got my ASR back in May, and I did a seson of racing on it this past summer, which included a few rainy races, and lots of creak crossings. And it seems like it didn't take long for my creaking to start. Maybe they were defective from the start like yours. My 575 has seen 2 years of riding in all kind of conditions, wet and dry, and it has held up.