Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    29

    chain rubbing against my tire in my new 575????

    what do you folks think? i have a brand new yeti 575 carbon. bike built with enduro component package. xt front der., sram x9 back der., shimano hg-53 chain, raceface evolve xc cranks and a sram pg-950 11-32 cassette. in the lowest cog up front and the biggest cog on the cassette (grany gear) the chain is rubbing against my tire. i just put on some wtb werewolf 2.3 for some late spring mud action. the specs say a 2.5 tire should be fine. have had the bike to 2 lbs and they both have adjusted the front der. and said you should be fine and the chain should not rub. but low and behold when i am in low gear climbing the chain is rubbing. what do you all think?

    thanks, kevin

  2. #2
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelk
    what do you folks think? i have a brand new yeti 575 carbon. bike built with enduro component package. xt front der., sram x9 back der., shimano hg-53 chain, raceface evolve xc cranks and a sram pg-950 11-32 cassette. in the lowest cog up front and the biggest cog on the cassette (grany gear) the chain is rubbing against my tire. i just put on some wtb werewolf 2.3 for some late spring mud action. the specs say a 2.5 tire should be fine. have had the bike to 2 lbs and they both have adjusted the front der. and said you should be fine and the chain should not rub. but low and behold when i am in low gear climbing the chain is rubbing. what do you all think?

    thanks, kevin
    Do you have any pics of the chain touching the tire?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    29
    i am at work, so no pics. i can take some when i am at home. basically, if i took a pic you would see that the chain is close to the tire but not touching. however, when i sit on the bike and start pedalling up hill or are going up in down in that lowest gear the chain hits the tire and vibrates. i was thinking of taking a link out of the chain to tighten that up a bit but folks at the lbs said that should not really do that much. i think differently. would taking a link out of the chain throw my gears up requiring a tune or adjustment??

    thanks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,415
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelk
    i am at work, so no pics. i can take some when i am at home. basically, if i took a pic you would see that the chain is close to the tire but not touching. however, when i sit on the bike and start pedalling up hill or are going up in down in that lowest gear the chain hits the tire and vibrates. i was thinking of taking a link out of the chain to tighten that up a bit but folks at the lbs said that should not really do that much. i think differently. would taking a link out of the chain throw my gears up requiring a tune or adjustment??

    thanks
    I have a friend who's 575 has Conti Diesel 2.5's and had the same problem. It only happened when in the granny-large cog combo and doing over relatively rough terrain. Not much you can do about it other than:
    1. Avoid that gear combo (not really an option for some)
    2. Get new tires with a less square tread and/or smaller size.
    3. Shave some tread of your tire...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    29
    yes, the tire width is an issue. i had the stock maxxis minnion 2.35s on there and had no problems. those tires suck for any kind of wet conditions. they totally load up with mud. the werewolfs are great for wet/muddy conditions but do have the aggressive bigger outside edge. they are only 2.3s so i thought i would be ok. but as you say i guess i have to deal. anyone have any other idears?

    thanks

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jet fixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    199
    I'm asuming you are talking about the top right
    This is just a WAG but did you have the LBS check the dish of the wheel? you could also put a spacer under the drive side BB cup
    if its the bottom it could be a bent derailleur hanger or maybe B screw adjustment

  7. #7
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,032
    I've run 2.35 Nevegal's on back. Not sure if that is close to your tire's actual size but I can tell you the chain does not rub, not even close as far as I can tell....this is also the first thread I've heard of about this problem.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    29
    well...looks like someone above had a similar issue. the tread on the timberwolf tire's outside edge is large and blocky, which could be an issue. however, i looked over the race face crank/bb installation guide last night. looks like i can put some spacers on the drive side and make up for a few mm's of space. may do the trick. it is rubbing primarily on the bottom portion of the chain/tire area.

    thanks for the advice

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,415

    Spacers

    Quote Originally Posted by nickelk
    well...looks like someone above had a similar issue. the tread on the timberwolf tire's outside edge is large and blocky, which could be an issue. however, i looked over the race face crank/bb installation guide last night. looks like i can put some spacers on the drive side and make up for a few mm's of space. may do the trick. it is rubbing primarily on the bottom portion of the chain/tire area.

    thanks for the advice

    on your bb are for the proper chainline. you may have shifting issues if you swap spacers and/or your left crank may start contacting the left chainstay...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    29
    the yeti 575 bb is 73 mm, which per the race face inst. guide recomends zero spacers behind the cups. however for chain line adjustments you can change spacers between crank arms and bb cup. adding a 1-2x1mm spaces may do the trick. i understand it will throw the shifting off, but i figure that can be adjustable.

    what is a chain line measurement? i see it lists 48,49 and 50mm...what does that measure??

    thanks for the help,

    Kevin

  11. #11
    mtbr platinum member
    Reputation: bikerx40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelk
    what is a chain line measurement? i see it lists 48,49 and 50mm...what does that measure??
    Flip your bike over and measure from the center of your frame's downtube to the center of your middle chainring's teeth.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    29

    fixed

    so i took apart bb/crank assembly. according to the rf installation manual a 2.5 mm spacer is recomended on the drive side behind the bb cup. i was missing this spacer. additionally, it was added that for a 50mm chainline 2x1mm spacers are recomended on the drive side. basically, fixed the problem by doing the above. drivetrain is nice and smooth shifting and the lower part of the chain is not rubbing.

    thanks for the advice/replies. good to know there is a place to come and voice concerns questions.

    happy trails,
    kevin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •