mtbr member

CF handlebar replaced

Last weekend had a nice ride but when finished, I saw I had a seam in the HB.
    This is a very nice carbon fiber FSA HB which had only about 200 miles. I am not an agressive rider and I know many others use CF HB on their 575.
    LBS did replace it with no charge for now an sent it to FSA. They said they'ed never seen CF HB with a seam before, only broken one.
    Do you think CF is fine for AM MTB?.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I hope it is, I have been riding a Monkeylite XC for little over a year on my Epic and I will pass it to my 575. I haven't had any issues so far. However they do require more attention to any markings or creaks.

Cheers,
    Cris
    Last edited by crisillo; 08-13-2006 at 12:27 AM.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    This is a very nice carbon fiber FSA HB which had only about 200 miles. I am not an agressive rider and I know many others use CF HB on their 575.
    I have a FSA carbon bar on my 575. I come in about 195, and ride pretty hard with no problems at all. I bought this bar on the recommendation from Larry at MtnHighCyclery.com, who runs it on his Ventana as well. I've seen Larry ride some ridiculously nasty stuff that I didn't even think about riding, so if he's fine with that bar, so am I.

Just keep an eye on it when you are doing routine maintenance type stuff, and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I hope the new one will last much longer.
    GB

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    Thanks. I hope the new one will last much longer.
    GB
    it will last forever. I have been riding my RF Next CF bar very hard for a year now...However, today, I scratched the shiite out of it near the stem mount point. Now I am worried, probably for no reason.

My next bar will be aluminum, just b/c I am scared of CF on any hard ridden mtb, but I have no personal experience to back up my fears, it just worries me. That's why I went with the AL swingarm on my Yeti as well....

mtbr member
    Alu may last longer but it's not bomb safe eigther. I've bent 2 Alu handlebars in the last years. In one case it was a very nice Ritchy WCS that easily bent on a "simple" crash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My two Easton EC70s have gone from bike to bike with no problems. I have read that the flat carbon Easton is the strongest carbon bar made. I just like the vibration damping qualities of a carbon bar so I'll put up with a bit of extra weight even if I have to find a downhill carbon bar but the EC70s are rock solid. I've crashed a few times and hit many a tree with no effect on the bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

http://www.fullcycles.com/product_in...roducts_id/814

^^^^^
    I hope this CF bar above is a good match for my 575, you think? I'm 170lbs and don't do more than 2 ft drops and short rock gardens. Mostly roots and trail XC riding /racing.

I really don't ever want to experience a handle bar failure on a downhill or fast section.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    It should be fine...just make sure you use a torque wrench when installing... I have Cf bars in both my rides..but I might go alu soon... because I want even wider bars... and the carbon DH bars get expensive...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I DO COMPOSITES FOR A LIVING

most bars are rolled round a mandrel which is put in a mould and inflated

bars have seams sometimes this is because a large proportion are moulded if the split mould doesnt quite line up or the bar hasnt been sanded you can see the seam

this can also be where the fibre has been rolled and comes to an end this is more visible with bars on which you can see the weave

both my bars easton monkeylite cnt and monkeylite sl have seams this is not a worry
    again scratches are not a wory as heavier 165 gram plus bars often have a cosmetic outer layer which is not a fully structural ply

the worrying thing with easton bars is that they are rarely round with an even wall thickness

the bars that often drop below this ie 135 gram are the ones to watch the outer layer is a structural layer and can be damaged leading to notch sensitivity

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Mike- Interesting stuff. I realize you may not have all the answers- in your opinion, how do the Race Face hold up (construction wise)?

mtbr member

BTW: an update

second FSA goes strong (knock on wood!!!!!).
    No issues so far despite me becoming more and more agressive and some nice scrateches I gained on crashes..