telemarc
    Jan 2005

CC DB-CS or CC DBInline on SB5c

I want to put a double barrel on my new SB5c which I am picking up in a week or so. Any input on which shock to go with? I have had some input saying always go with the DB-CS if you can fit the piggyback as it gives you more options. Either shock will fit.
    Another says the compression rate on the smaller travel bikes is better served by the inline. Anybody with experience?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Go with the inline ... For it's light weight ..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The spring rate on either shock can be tuned via volume spacers, so it shouldn't be an issue.

telemarc
    Jan 2005
    So technically there is no advantage to mounting the larger heavier shock that I can see. If the inline performs as well and sacrifices nothing over the db cs on a 130 mil travel bike I will get the inline for sure.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    The spring rate on either shock can be tuned via volume spacers, so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Still, that doesn't address the issue of the CCDB not handling the high shaft speeds of low leverage bikes. I'm not sure what the leverage ratio on the SB5 is, but the DB just couldn't handle the SB66 leverage ratio and would spike badly on high speed hits for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    Still, that doesn't address the issue of the CCDB not handling the high shaft speeds of low leverage bikes. I'm not sure what the leverage ratio on the SB5 is, but the DB just couldn't handle the SB66 leverage ratio and would spike badly on high speed hits for me.
    (Just my opinion). Too many people mistake high speed compression with 'spiking', especially when coming off pretty well everything else out there that lacks proper HS compression and complete folds away on high speed hits. Wheel control, and strong support are what the DB will provide. With my CS I get more feedback compared to say the float x it replaced on my 66c, but it's dead consistent. I'm not a 'small bump compliance' guy. I race, but I also ride difficult terrain daily, and I really really need to know what's going on underneath me. The CS was recommended to me by a Fox authorized service centre (that does CC as well) for the 66, for the suspension curve in particular. The float x was quite hard to tune on his end for the bike. Maybe the new Graves tune on the SB6 will shed some light on the differences between he old float x tune and the new.

Actual spiking, could you elaborate? Do you have the newer DBs with he high flow inner can?

I'd recommend the inline on an SB5 unless one does a lot of big descents regularly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I spent a lot of time adjusting the CCDB on the same sections of trail, adjusting from one end of the range to the other and spent a lot of time cataloging the results. I'm a mechanical engineer and raced pro downhills and I think I spend more time paying attention to shock performance than most. What I found is that even with moderate to no HSC the CCDB would spike with a resulting metal sound and rider buck on large square edge hits yet not use all it's travel. I even swapped shocks in the same section and did not have the same results. Call it what you will, but for me the CCDB was not the answer on the SB platform. So far I have had better results with the CTD.

telemarc
    Jan 2005
    I had a long conversation with Cane Creek last night. The tech guy on the phone said the Inline is much better suited to 150 mm bikes and less. Both shocks are fully adjustable but the Air and oil volume in the inline make it more adjustable for the Climbing and Small hit adjustability. While the DB CS is more suited to big hits and more Air and Oil volume to keep the heat down on long downhill runs. He did say regardless of travel if I was doing 80-100% downhill or living in the bike park go DB CS , for all mountain riding go inline without sacrificing anything but a small amount of Big Hit performance. I will get the inline based on his input. Also lighter.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    The SB5c's leverage ratio not quite as low as SB66, but very linear and flat. At around 2.5:1, it's not extremely high either. Would benefit from a small progressive air volume can I would think.

Yeti SB5C 27.5'' 2015 - Linkage Design

Yeti SB-66 2012 - Linkage Design
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs