mtbr member

Carrying new Yeti with 15mm through axle

More new stuff. I'll have my bike in a few days and I've learned that there are some issues with the new Fox fork and these new fangled through axle deals.
    Most of the time, I'll be transporting my bike in my F150 with a typical 'truck tool box'. I have a fork mount bolted to the top of the truck box.

Two questions really--regarding what to do.

The LBS suggests it may not be a good idea to remove the front wheel, as this may effect the brake to rotor spacing enough to cause a rubbing.

Given that, what carrying solutions are available.

I also own a few trays/fork mounts. Two Thules and a Yak.

I could rig something up with straps and a cabled bike lock, but I would like something a bit more simple with less likelihood of vibration damage on long trips, such as what is potential with a cable wrapped around the frame and such.

Oftentimes, there will be occasion for beer and food stops after rides.

Well--you know the score.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You can use something like this if you want to adapt your existing mount for a 15mm axle:

Yakima 15MM T-Axle Fork Adapter - Yakima Rack Accessories

As for the other issue, there's no reason that you can't take your wheel off... no different than any other disc brake setup.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Carrying new Yeti with 15mm through axle

Agreed, i remove my wheels all the time on both my bikes and never noticed any correlation to rubbing.

With your current truck box situation, 15mm fork mount adapter seems the best option unless you want to go hitch rack, or remove the truck box and go tie down motocross style, or roof rack . . .

Sent from your phone, which i hacked into

mtbr member
    Here's how I move mine, no troubles yet!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carrying new Yeti with 15mm through axle-abcyeti4.jpg  

If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

Tribe Member
    I would recommend the Yakima thing but check out the custom ones over at fleabay.
    S Yak 15mm Fork Mount Adapter Turquoise Like Yeti Bike Roof Rack Attachment | eBay

A must have?
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Yup--the adapters maybe.
    I'm considering getting a hitch mount rig, as well--where I can leave the wheels on.
    Both Yak and Thule make nice ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post

The LBS suggests it may not be a good idea to remove the front wheel, as this may effect the brake to rotor spacing enough to cause a rubbing.
    They aren't by chance trying to sell you a rack, are they? It's just, I've never heard that one before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    They aren't by chance trying to sell you a rack, are they? It's just, I've never heard that one before.
    Nope. That wasn't the case at all.

mtbr member
    removing the wheel (and re-tightening the qr nut to a slightly different tension every time) will mess with brake/rotor alignment. The thru axle solves that problem. High school dropouts at the LBS not knowing what they're talking about, I'm shocked...

But if you have a truck, why not just use a ratchet strap and tie it down motorcycle style?

mtbr member
    Is it possible that some folks have gotten used to settling for a wee bit of that brake rubbing sound and that the LBS owner is correct.

I have an F150 crew with short bed and a truck box taking up space. The bikes are approx. 68 inches and I'm left with around 60 inches. The same funny enough rail to rail.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Settertude;10532137]Is it possible that some folks have gotten used to settling for a wee bit of that brake rubbing sound and that the LBS owner is correct.

I have two bikes with Fox forks & 15mm thru axles and have had zero issues with brake rub after remove/install of the front wheels. If anything, tension is way more repeatable than with a 9mm skewer .

mtbr member
    Perhaps I misunderstood the LBS. He is very experienced and knowledgeable.

mtbr member
    I run one of these Rocky mounts on my F350 - right off the back of the bed, with the Yakima Bed Mount. I did not go with Yakima or Thule adapter this time, as when my Float 160 with 20mm was tightened on my old (Thule Thru Axle) mount it would wiggle and develope some play which started to increase the wear on my 20mm thru axle.

After purchasing the wifes ASR-5 with a 15mm Thru Axle - we saw this rack adapter which has plastic bushings and does a great job of positivly holding the axle, without any side to side play.

Sofar we have not had any issues - and on a side note with the bike in the bed, I run two small tie down straps off the bars to stabilize the bike some more.

RockyMounts DriveShaft- bike racks, bike adapters, thru-axle adapters, thru axle bike carriers, thru axle bike mounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
    I run one of these Rocky mounts on my F350 - right off the back of the bed, with the Yakima Bed Mount. I did not go with Yakima or Thule adapter this time, as when my Float 160 with 20mm was tightened on my old (Thule Thru Axle) mount it would wiggle and develope some play which started to increase the wear on my 20mm thru axle.

After purchasing the wifes ASR-5 with a 15mm Thru Axle - we saw this rack adapter which has plastic bushings and does a great job of positivly holding the axle, without any side to side play.

Sofar we have not had any issues - and on a side note with the bike in the bed, I run two small tie down straps off the bars to stabilize the bike some more.

RockyMounts DriveShaft- bike racks, bike adapters, thru-axle adapters, thru axle bike carriers, thru axle bike mounts
    Use the same setup. RockyMounts FTW!
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Another vote for the rocky mounts adapter. You'll keep the option of regular qr, plus you can do either 15 or 20mm.

mtbr member
    I've decided to keep it in the croo cab for now and save for a hitch mounted carrier.
    I'll be putting a cap on the truck before winter, anyway.

Thanks for all the input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    Is it possible that some folks have gotten used to settling for a wee bit of that brake rubbing sound and that the LBS owner is correct.

I have an F150 crew with short bed and a truck box taking up space. The bikes are approx. 68 inches and I'm left with around 60 inches. The same funny enough rail to rail.
    I had the same issue with my truck. I solved it by putting the bikes in backwards and using the seat rails as the tie down point. Then just turn the bars and you should be good.

As for removing the wheel causing issues with brake alignment, I think there is a possibility that less experienced riders are forcing the wheel or banging the rotor on the caliper enough to cause the alignment issues or bent rotors. Done properly there should be no issue.