Member of The Yeti Tribe

Carbon sb66, yeti dj, CCDBair.. Pick two

I am moving from my ASR - 7 to a sb66.. My current wish list is a sb66, a yeti dj frame, and a Cane Creek DBAir..

My budget allows for me to either get an aluminum sb66, the dj and the CCDBair..

Or I could get the carbon frame and then forgo the dj frame or the CCDBair.

I don't really need a new DJ frame. But I would like to get onto a yeti dj frame if possible. And on my ASR - 7, I really hated my Rp23 and I wanted to get a more dh worthy shock.

So its either I get all three and get a aluminum frame or I go for a carbon frame and only get the Rp23 or a dj frame.

What say you guys?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    sounds like you'd be happier with the DJ frame and 1# heavier SB66, with the weight in a place you're not really gonna notice much (e.g. not on the wheels).

mtbr member
    Why do you want a CF DH SB66?. For me CF is more XC and climbing oriented?.

EDR
    Get all three if that's what you want. I'd much much much rather have another bike in my stable than a cf bike only...given the choice.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    sounds like you'd be happier with the DJ frame and 1# heavier SB66, with the weight in a place you're not really gonna notice much (e.g. not on the wheels).
    I tend to agree.. I am the farthest thing from a weight weenie.. I wanted the carbon because I think that it will be stronger, stiffer and it will be cooler to roll up on a carbon 66 to my local rides..

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    Why do you want a CF DH SB66?. For me CF is more XC and climbing oriented?.

Have you seen the pinkbike video at the Santa Cruz factory? The Carbon Nomad frame was twice as strong as the aluminium frame in every test they did. it was much stiffer and the carbon bike is 1lb lighter.. I am not a huge weight weenier, but for races like Downieville , any weight savings is always welcome..

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Get all three if that's what you want. I'd much much much rather have another bike in my stable than a cf bike only...given the choice.
    See I already have a DJ built up.. Argyle, saint cranks, Transition wheelset all built on a decent CroMo frame that is a size too small for me..

I am thinking that I am going to do the carbon frame and the dj frame and I can get the CCDBair later on down the road..

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Long live the ASR-7
    What size ASR-7? I'm on the hunt for an XL.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    What size ASR-7? I'm on the hunt for an XL.
    Large. But my dad has first dibs on it. He is about 50/50 on if he wants it or not. He is a weight weenie and worried about if the 7 can be built under 30lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My vote is SB66-C and then the DJ and shock down the road. I love my aluminum SB and would be stoked to get a carbon, I don't see it happening though, mostly cause what I have is plenty. If I were buying right now though, I would hold out for the carbon.

Once you have an aluminum SB there won't be much excuse to get the carbon, but if you get the carbon you will still be looking for excuses to get the DJ down the road . I try to justify my toys this way hahahahha.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    Large. But my dad has first dibs on it. He is about 50/50 on if he wants it or not. He is a weight weenie and worried about if the 7 can be built under 30lbs.

It can be done. I am sitting on a 7 at 31 lbs with DH rubber and a dropper post, easily under 30 with normal tires and my Thompson post.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlb21 View Post
    It can be done. I am sitting on a 7 at 31 lbs with DH rubber and a dropper post, easily under 30 with normal tires and my Thompson post.
    Want to share your build? He is working on a tight budget. I am giving him my frame only and he has to build up everything.