mtbr member

Carbon ASR-5 vs. Aluminum

While the rumor that Yeti is discontinuing the aluminum ASR may be true, there are still a few out there available in my size. It's about an $800 difference, which I'm fine with (love light bikes!) but I'm wondering about the reliability.

Having never ridden a carbon bike, and realizing that the swingarm is carbon on both models, any concerns with the durability and reliability of the carbon front triangle? I'm not a heavy rider (a bit under 170 lbs.) nor am I a jumper/dropper (I'm 47 and those days have come and gone!).

Any reason to jump on one of the remaining aluminum ASRs instead of a carbon?

Another thing to consider is that my favorite color bike is white and I cannot find a white ASR-5 in a small. If I could, I wouldn't have made this post -- it would have been a no-brainer to get the white Aluminum. But since I can't get white, the color is irrelevant and it becomes all about frame material.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    There seem to be some threads reporting breakage of the carbon rear triangles, but for some people, the carbon frames have been durable. For me, my front triangle on my ASR5 carbon cracked within 3 weeks of ownership. I weight 155lbs, and though I liked the bike, I'd think twice about owning the carbon version again from a durability standpoint. It makes me think if the alloy version is stronger than the carbon.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    I Have the ASR5C and have been riding it 1-2 times a week for 2 years. I have hade no problems with the frame and I ride some pretty good trails. Not alot of drops and nothing over 3 ft. This bike loves to be ridden fast and hard. I just had the Fox suspension serviced and the mech looked over the frame and she is as good as new. No problems with the frame. I ride in the 215-220lbs range.
    Get the carbon if you can. I think they may have made a white one.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Same here - I would go carbon and not worry about it. I too am about 200 lbs and have crashed mine a ton. I did develop a very small crack on the rear (which Yeti took care of extremely promptly). But the front triangle is very stout - esp. when you compare it to some other carbon bikes out there. It is built as a trail bike. I do think it is very helpful to put frame tape on it - to protect a bit from rock strikes etc. But accidents and cracks can happen - as Aust95 experienced. Most important thing when buying a carbon frame is to ask yourself how well the company stands behind their product - Yeti seems very, very good in my experience.

mtbr member
    200 lbs and riding an ASR5c since 2010 and it's flawless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Depends on where you ride.

I had a crash on my 2010 carbon ASR5 and put a hole in the front triangle when it landed on a sharp rock. I switched over to the aluminium frame (crash replacement) and not surprisingly haven't put the bike down on a sharp rock in the same way since. I think I was just very unlucky. However, I feel more confident on the alloy frame since I typically ride on very rocky trails and perhaps should have started off with the alloy. Also, I'm using a dropper post now and like the cable routing which the carbon frame didn't have. The carbon rear has held up very well. I put protective tape all over it and it's survived a lot of scuffs and crashes. The rear did develop a hair line crack near the brakes a few months ago and Yeti promptly replaced it - in fact they over-nighted a new rear triangle. I've been very happy with Yeti's responses in both cases.

I'd suggest making your decision on where you ride based on the amount of rocks and also take a test ride to see if you notice a difference between the two. I felt the carbon frame was much stiffer and it seemed to accelerate a lot quicker.

Either way you won't be disappointed. Good luck.