mtbr member

Canadian Yeti owners ?

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any Yeti owners in Canada. I'm in Calgary and although I hit the trails quite a bit, I've yet to see a single Yeti on the trails. (Tons of Kona's, Specialized and Giants.)

I'm licking my chops over the 575 but I'm wondering if anyone has experience buying one from the States. (I don't think there's a Yeti dealer in my province.)

Ken.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Yeti in Calgary

To let you know, in the last few weeks Calgary Cycle have picked up the Yeti line. They have prices of the 575 on their website http://www.calgarycycle.com/. I wish they had done this a few months ago when I was thinking about this bike.
    Although he does not have any bikes in stock, Graham at http://www.bikebros.ca/ in Cochrane is also listed as a Yeti dealer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul

nice marmot.

canadian but...

i'm canadian but i live in Colorado. patiently waiting for my first yeti (575) to be delivered.

i have an aunt/uncle/cousins in calgary, peterborough, toronto, and sarnia.
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

Ti is addictive
    If you got a local dealer give them a shot first, especially if you tell them what you could get it for online or picked up from stateside. Calgary cycle is quite fair in pricing in my opinion. Online sales is a tough call due to Yeti dealers being forewarned about shipping to Canada jeopardizes their carrying the line. Talking to Universal and Full Cycles they will not ship to Canada because if caught Yeti will pull their line out of the store. But if you happen to be stateside for a trip, easy-peasy to buy the bike and bring it back with you (may get hit with about 7% duty on top of taxes though-especially cause 575 is not USA made- no free trade).

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great info !

I'll check out Calgary Cycle the next time I'm in the area. Compared to the USA, the prices seem to be around ~$300 more. I guess that's not horrible if you consider the shipping costs + duty but maybe I'll see if they're willing to work on their prices once the white stuff starts to settle on the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    If you got a local dealer give them a shot first, especially if you tell them what you could get it for online or picked up from stateside. Calgary cycle is quite fair in pricing in my opinion. Online sales is a tough call due to Yeti dealers being forewarned about shipping to Canada jeopardizes their carrying the line. Talking to Universal and Full Cycles they will not ship to Canada because if caught Yeti will pull their line out of the store.
    I understand they want to "protect" their canadian distributor but they have a problem. Having an exclusive distributor for each province seriously limits the sales potential. I have yet to see a Yeti in a Quebec trail as well. And if I want to order though my LBS he has to get the frame from the distributor. This adds a middleman and increases cost. The result is that at the moment there is two less 575 on the trails in Quebec as a friend and I decided to wait or check other brands.

But if you happen to be stateside for a trip, easy-peasy to buy the bike and bring it back with you (may get hit with about 7% duty on top of taxes though-especially cause 575 is not USA made- no free trade).
    Really? I thought the 575 was made in Colorado.
    I am looking at the Calgary Cycles website and cannot find the price of the Yeti575. It's not in the complete bike list. I have to email or call to get a quote on a frame?

S.

Ti is addictive
    CalgaryCycle has it on the Yeti part of their site as frame only 1999(can). Don't know if they stock them or order one-offs when a customer ponies up the bucks. I must say though they were pretty good at coming up with a build and estimate last year.

However, I still went US mailorder as even with shipping and duty being tagged on my complete bike still came in cheaper goin stateside. Also the fact that it came with a custom wheelbuild by a noted MTBR wheelbuilder and someone thats dealt with that brands bikes for many a year was the deciding factor. My only concern with Canadian bike stores (not all) is that you see them pick up a brand and drop them in a couple of years. Makes you wonder upon warranty and service down the road.

Yeti Arc and 575 are Taiwan welded bikes, nothing wrong with that as the weld looks better on these frames then some of the Colorado built stuff. Look up the Canadian stores on the Yeti website, I was just at Marty's Mountain cycle and he had a medium 575frame (ano black) goin for 1850 and a complete bike in Large (demo I think )goin for under 3K. I was told he was getting a number of new frames in their next order arriving within the next couple of weeks.

No I don't own a Yeti yet, I'm in the market for a all-mountain/XC bike and the Yeti is on the shortlist as well as Titus(not trying to stir any Sh*t up on this forum-we all held hands and forgave after the Moto vs 575 debacle a week ago).

Good luck on your search for the Canadian Yeti, I naturally woulda thought it would have been in the Kootenays visiting its cousin the Sasquatch. My pricing philosophy is MSRP less 10-15%, converted to Canadian funds, plus shipping and 6.1% duty (if tagged by CCRA) and that would be a fair deal whether mailorder or Locally priced.