Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: It can climb!

  1. #1
    Was that a Bobcat?
    Reputation: amor587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    609

    It can climb!

    OK... a few weeks ago I picked up a 575. Was able to test ride it, but just on street and concrete. My previous bike is a XC bike (Trek Fuel) which can climb almost anything. So I spent the past couples of weeks dialing in the 575 (not yet there, but a work in progress) and on the rides I've been on I have discovered that this bike can climb! It was one of my worry points about getting this bike, sure I did the research and the reading, but I was still a bit skeptical about what is written down on paper. I was thinking how can a bike with this much travel climb as good as everyone is saying. Needless to say.... this bike rocks!

    Just wanted to share my recent self-discovery!

  2. #2
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    Sure it can climb.... it was one of the first things I also thought about .. I came from a Specialized Epic... and, as you, was amazed at how good it climbs with that much travel...

    Enjoy!

  3. #3
    Who is John Galt?
    Reputation: Big Jim Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,704
    I'm curious what tires you are running. Sometimes I like my Nevegals and sometimes I think I should go back to the Fires or try Cinders.
    What, me hurry?

  4. #4
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    I am running Intense CC 2.25s at the moment.... I usually run Schwalbes. I got these for my SS some time ago, but the rear didn't fit without rubbing, so they went on the 575.. not as light at the Schwalbes I usually ride (Racing Ralph or Nobby Nic), but they perform really well...

  5. #5
    Was that a Bobcat?
    Reputation: amor587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    609
    I'm running the Panaracer Fire XC Pros

  6. #6
    I like Monkeys
    Reputation: VaughnA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    889
    As a former fuel rider with a 575 on order I am relieved. That was the main worry to me. I wanted something that could climb and still have a lot of travel. I can't wait to try it out.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    The RFX climbs better IMHO

    I sold my Yeti because it did not climb or pedal very good.

    I got a 5 spot and it just beats it by a mile.

    My buddies RFX climbs almost as good.

    My Flux, well we'll see how it climbs....
    Sit and spin my ass...

  8. #8
    Positive Vibe Technician
    Reputation: ShanerPVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    73
    how many miles exactly did you have on that 575 before you sold it? better question, how many miles to you have on the spot?
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,919
    I remember Rasta writing that he'd ridden the 575 a handful of times (less than 6, more than 3) (i'd search his posts to get the quote, but I'm too lazy). With so little experience actually riding the 575 and the fact that he was lauding the 575 big time until he became a Turner poseur, I think his comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

    I suspect he thinks it's funny to come in here and bash the 575 whenever he gets bored (then act innocent and righteous when he's called out on it).

    BTW - Yes, the 575 is an excellent climber.

    Ant

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420

    575b is not a climber

    Quote Originally Posted by ShanerPVT
    how many miles exactly did you have on that 575 before you sold it? better question, how many miles to you have on the spot?
    I had about 150miles of trail. And I can tell you, I sold it because it was not responsive and in long climbs it would drag ass. Granny all the way. Now, same trails, 5 spot, and I never use granny. The spot is about 1.5lbs heavier than my yeti was. My 575 was right at 26.5 lbs.

    All in all, the yeti decended very good, but it aint a climber. I am not bashing it, I am just saying my opinion just like everyone else did. I got a 5 spot because the yeti does not ride as good.

    I just got a Flux BTW. I have over 600miles on the spot from May to now... I also have 7 other bikes....
    Sit and spin my ass...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    I remember Rasta writing that he'd ridden the 575 a handful of times (less than 6, more than 3) (i'd search his posts to get the quote, but I'm too lazy). With so little experience actually riding the 575 and the fact that he was lauding the 575 big time until he became a Turner poseur, I think his comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

    I suspect he thinks it's funny to come in here and bash the 575 whenever he gets bored (then act innocent and righteous when he's called out on it).

    BTW - Yes, the 575 is an excellent climber.

    Ant
    Antonio,

    Si no has provado la Turner no hables... I am a Turner poseur that has two Turners now after testing the yetis. I even consider going the ASR-sl for my race bike, but I already made the yeti mistake. So I got a Flux.

    I have talked to other people that have ventanas, yetis, and turners, and every single one of them have sold their yeti to get something else in the 5-6" travel range. I would even consider an Intense 6.6 before a yeti 575. And that took a lot to say....

    With the RFX at $1395, why get a yeti 575?

    All I can say is - I only have 600 miles on the spot. How many Turner milese do you have Ant? = 0
    Sit and spin my ass...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771

    Oh Yeah!

    Quote Originally Posted by amor587
    OK... a few weeks ago I picked up a 575. Was able to test ride it, but just on street and concrete. My previous bike is a XC bike (Trek Fuel) which can climb almost anything. So I spent the past couples of weeks dialing in the 575 (not yet there, but a work in progress) and on the rides I've been on I have discovered that this bike can climb! It was one of my worry points about getting this bike, sure I did the research and the reading, but I was still a bit skeptical about what is written down on paper. I was thinking how can a bike with this much travel climb as good as everyone is saying. Needless to say.... this bike rocks!

    Just wanted to share my recent self-discovery!
    Excellent climber by all means!.
    Can not compare to Turner but it's way better than my good old HT and Giant Trance and that I demoed.
    BTW, there are many things that I learned to like in the 575 with time and experience but the climbing prowess was noticed with the first technical climb. I always climb with the TALAS at full travel and the bike just stick to the ground. Rear tire is always important and I still have room for improvement with a beefier rear (currently XChish at Larsen Tubless 2.0). Crossmark non UST version were nice till burped after 7 weeks of use.

  13. #13
    Who is John Galt?
    Reputation: Big Jim Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,704

    It ain't the bike!

    I've found that when I am having a good day the 575 climbs like a monkey. But when I suck it does too. Verdict: It ain't the bike! Climbing is such a mental thing. At some point you have to commit that you are going up. When you start thinking you can't, you don't. Also tires make all the difference. And it doesn't hurt to have some skills like knowing when to get out of the saddle and when to stay put. Scientifically, it would be almost impossible to compare two bikes climbing abilities. To do this honestly you would have to ride each bike side by side on the same trail. And you would ruin the test after you rode the first one because you would be tired when you got to the second one. So any claims about a bike's climbing prowess are probably gut feelings at best.
    What, me hurry?

  14. #14
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Antonio,

    Si no has provado la Turner no hables...
    ProBado es con B

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Antonio,

    Si no has provado la Turner no hables... I am a Turner poseur that has two Turners now after testing the yetis. I even consider going the ASR-sl for my race bike, but I already made the yeti mistake. So I got a Flux.

    I have talked to other people that have ventanas, yetis, and turners, and every single one of them have sold their yeti to get something else in the 5-6" travel range. I would even consider an Intense 6.6 before a yeti 575. And that took a lot to say....

    With the RFX at $1395, why get a yeti 575?

    All I can say is - I only have 600 miles on the spot. How many Turner milese do you have Ant? = 0
    I've never ridden a Turner. You win.

    Now tell me - why were ever you on the 575 bandwagon? You speak so negatively about the 575 now, but while you owned one you were telling anyone that asked to buy one (after you "showed off" that you had it Push'd).

    Were you just a really piss-poor evaluator of bikes a short while ago (when you owned the Yeti), but once you bought the Turner something clicked in your brain and you suddenly became a great evaluator of bike performance, noticing all of the 575's faults? Doubtful.

    Me, I'm more inclined to believe you're just an internet show-off, always having to have something better than the next person. That's why your opinions mean little. I am sure Turner's are awesome bikes, but nothing you said has led me to that opinion.

    Ant

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,919
    BTW - I understand that internet people and real life people are not the same. I wish you well.

    Ant
    No soy boriqua, pero me case con una, y mis hijas tienen esa sangre borinnquen.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771

    It makes a difference

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    I've found that when I am having a good day the 575 climbs like a monkey. But when I suck it does too. Verdict: It ain't the bike! Climbing is such a mental thing. At some point you have to commit that you are going up. When you start thinking you can't, you don't. Also tires make all the difference. And it doesn't hurt to have some skills like knowing when to get out of the saddle and when to stay put. Scientifically, it would be almost impossible to compare two bikes climbing abilities. To do this honestly you would have to ride each bike side by side on the same trail. And you would ruin the test after you rode the first one because you would be tired when you got to the second one. So any claims about a bike's climbing prowess are probably gut feelings at best.
    I had my HT 9 years before I demoed the Yeti and first climb on the 575 was very different.
    I have good and bad days as everybody, but I clean climbes that I could not before.
    This did not happen to me with the Trance and Jamis Dakar I demoed, while I did feel the Fuel was a better climber than my HT.

  18. #18
    Was that a Bobcat?
    Reputation: amor587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    609
    It has a little something to do with the bike. For instance climbing on a HT vs. a DH rig with 10 inches of squish and weighting 40+ pounds most definitely has something to do with the bike. I'll agree the rider has a great deal to do with it but it's not all rider IMHO.

  19. #19
    Was that a Bobcat?
    Reputation: amor587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    609
    Rasta... By all means your opinion and input is welcomed and respected. For each thier own. This is what is so great about this forum, you can get information from all aspects and make you own judegment from what you've gained. I'm glad to hear that you have found a bike that better suits your riding style

  20. #20
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    I had about 150miles of trail. And I can tell you, I sold it because it was not responsive and in long climbs it would drag ass. Granny all the way. Now, same trails, 5 spot, and I never use granny. The spot is about 1.5lbs heavier than my yeti was. My 575 was right at 26.5 lbs.

    All in all, the yeti decended very good, but it aint a climber. I am not bashing it, I am just saying my opinion just like everyone else did. I got a 5 spot because the yeti does not ride as good.

    I just got a Flux BTW. I have over 600miles on the spot from May to now... I also have 7 other bikes....
    Odd that back when I was asking you about things like this, Zion, you had told me that you corrected all these concerns on the Yeti when you PUSH'd the shock and got the lighter wheels. Not once back then did I ever hear you say anything at all about it dragging "ass" or any problems at all. Heck, all you could do was praise everything it did.

    Glad you like the 5 spot. I'm sure it's a nice bike. I have no problem with "to each his own" but what I don't understand is why your recollection of the 575 performance doesn't match specifically what you were saying back then.

    EDIT: I found the post I was thinking of. Here are your own words quoted ZR:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    YES - 5.75" at 25 lbs- WOW!!!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    My bike is now at 25lbs. I upgraded the Bontrager race wheels to Mike Garcia's Velocity + Laser Disc lite hubs. I also took the Specialize Adrenaline pro tires off for Mythos XC 2.1 front and Notos 1.9 rear(Super fast rolling combo for unders $30). Dudes, the bike flies up hill!!! The Bonty wheels are heavy and slow and the Ardrenaline tires were the slowest tires ever. I will be selling my sugar 1 as the ride quality is so much worse. My frame is the ano black. IT is a large, but it felt so light. Is the Ano lighter than the paited one?

    I suffered from seatpost slipage, so I went ahead and got some HOPE QR's and seatpost clamp. My bike is so blingy now, it is not funny.

    Well, my buddy was ridding an 04 Specialized 120 (Horst Link) and the 575 was a lot faster on the climbs. He is bound to the HL crap so he is trying to get an 05 Turner before is too late.

    I think the design on the Yeti is perfect. I looked everywhere in the market for a lighter long travel bike and nope - the 575 is where is at.

    My bud just got a 6-pack to match my 575, but it will probably end at 35lbs. He is now thinking about a 5 spot and keep the 6Pack
    Last edited by iviguy; 11-14-2006 at 09:53 AM.

  21. #21
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    I've never ridden a Turner. You win.

    Now tell me - why were ever you on the 575 bandwagon? You speak so negatively about the 575 now, but while you owned one you were telling anyone that asked to buy one (after you "showed off" that you had it Push'd).

    Were you just a really piss-poor evaluator of bikes a short while ago (when you owned the Yeti), but once you bought the Turner something clicked in your brain and you suddenly became a great evaluator of bike performance, noticing all of the 575's faults? Doubtful.

    Me, I'm more inclined to believe you're just an internet show-off, always having to have something better than the next person. That's why your opinions mean little. I am sure Turner's are awesome bikes, but nothing you said has led me to that opinion.

    Ant
    I don't want to start bashing ZR but in this case I almost have to agree. Read the quote I found on a post last year in November I believe, no less. I'll post it again in case you are lazy.. LOL...

    ZR seems to LOVE whatever bike he has at the moment but after getting rid of it has second thoughts. That is fine. We probably all have the same issues at times. But it needs to be taken into account when the past review is a slam like he seems to be delivering on the 575 as of late.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    YES - 5.75" at 25 lbs- WOW!!!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    My bike is now at 25lbs. I upgraded the Bontrager race wheels to Mike Garcia's Velocity + Laser Disc lite hubs. I also took the Specialize Adrenaline pro tires off for Mythos XC 2.1 front and Notos 1.9 rear(Super fast rolling combo for unders $30). Dudes, the bike flies up hill!!! The Bonty wheels are heavy and slow and the Ardrenaline tires were the slowest tires ever. I will be selling my sugar 1 as the ride quality is so much worse. My frame is the ano black. IT is a large, but it felt so light. Is the Ano lighter than the paited one?

    I suffered from seatpost slipage, so I went ahead and got some HOPE QR's and seatpost clamp. My bike is so blingy now, it is not funny.

    Well, my buddy was ridding an 04 Specialized 120 (Horst Link) and the 575 was a lot faster on the climbs. He is bound to the HL crap so he is trying to get an 05 Turner before is too late.

    I think the design on the Yeti is perfect. I looked everywhere in the market for a lighter long travel bike and nope - the 575 is where is at.

    My bud just got a 6-pack to match my 575, but it will probably end at 35lbs. He is now thinking about a 5 spot and keep the 6Pack

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by amor587
    Rasta... By all means your opinion and input is welcomed and respected.
    Not really.

    His flip-flopping shows that his opinion is not objective. It's based on self-importance, so I'd rather he not share. Unfortunately, I can't stop him.

    Thanks, Ivi, for picking up my slack. I don't want to bash Rasta either, i just think any new readers need to be aware of his contradicting comments before they take his advice when considering the 575.

    Ant

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,919
    BTW - Why is he always in the Yeti forum bashing the 575?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    BTW - Why is he always in the Yeti forum bashing the 575?
    Normally I donīrespond to posts like these but I am a bit tires of reading ZRīs posts.

    I think he still roams the Yeti board because the Turner Homers still has not accepted Zion Rasta despite his pathetic attempt to be a Turner member. Apparently buying one more Turner has not helped

    Zion Rasta is like a young teenage girl who one week is fond of the quaterback (Yeti 575), the next week she is fond of the rival teams quarterback (Turner) and my guess is that her next big love probably will be Titus

    Just kidding but I canīt help it. It is quite annoying reading ZRīs posts. I think you should try to be a bit more objective in your opinion. Your reviews of the Yeti does not seem very credible when you praised it highly some months ago. I dont understand why you try create such a bad vibe here on the Yeti board

    I am also very impressed by how the Yeti 575 climbs. I raced it for the first time this year and got 30th out of 100 where the most was racing HTīs, Epics or other hardcore XC bikes. When riding with my friend who has a Turner Flux I am faster than him but I believe that is because I am fitter than him but is also says something about the Yeti. It is a great bike like the Turner bikes also are. Though I would much like to try Titus Motolite to see if it climbs better than the Yeti 575

  25. #25
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite
    Though I would much like to try Titus Motolite to see if it climbs better than the Yeti 575
    It doesn't....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •