mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Brand new yeti 575, need help!

Allright, been checkin out the 575 for some time now and ready to pull the trigger, but need some help with a couple decisions. Any feedback some Yeti freaks could provide would be awesome so I can buy this beast!

I ride CO front range, of course I'd like to spend the least amount possible but will spend a few extra dollars in the areas that offer value for my $$$

1) I'm not the handiest bike machanic, so reliability and ease of use is a must
    2) I'm not into constantly changing & upgrading bike parts, so I want to get the best stuff that works great, offers value, and will last a long time up front

I'm thinking of buying the Enduro kit, large black anodized frame with a few upgrades, here are my decisions:

1) Upgrade from Juicy 5's to 7's? Is it worth the extra $$ I currently have BB7's on my bike and love 'em, are hydrolics really that much better than mechs?

2) Would it make sense to upgrade the wheelset, how much better can I really get than Mavic xm 317's for the $$?

3) Upgrade from Vanilla to TALAS? I currently have a travel wind down and like it for the long front range climbs, maybe I'd get used to not having travel adj. to benefit from plush coil fork

4) Upgrade the cheap casette and chain on the Enduro kit to something else? On my current bike cassette was the first thing to wear out.

5) Is the carbon swingarm worth the extra $$ I'd love to save the .5 lb, but is carbon going to be as durable?

6) What's all the fuss with Chris King headsets? are they really worth that much extra $$ over the cane creek?

I'd love to keep this bike under $3100, any feedback or other suggestons would help a ton!!!

Cant wait to join the tribe!!!

trail "cleaner"

OK, I'll bite

Quote Originally Posted by arborider
    Allright, been checkin out the 575 for some time now and ready to pull the trigger, but need some help with a couple decisions. Any feedback some Yeti freaks could provide would be awesome so I can buy this beast!

I ride CO front range, of course I'd like to spend the least amount possible but will spend a few extra dollars in the areas that offer value for my $$$

1) I'm not the handiest bike machanic, so reliability and ease of use is a must.. [SIZE=3]just ensure pivot bolts are torqued to spec. using Blue loctite.[/SIZE]
    2) I'm not into constantly changing & upgrading bike parts, so I want to get the best stuff that works great, offers value, and will last a long time up front

I'm thinking of buying the Enduro kit, large black anodized frame with a few upgrades, here are my decisions:

1) Upgrade from Juicy 5's to 7's? Is it worth the extra $$ I currently have BB7's on my bike and love 'em, are hydrolics really that much better than mechs? [SIZE=3]Not a Avid hydro user but Hayes hydros have been good to me now for 5+ years.[/SIZE]

2) Would it make sense to upgrade the wheelset, how much better can I really get than Mavic xm 317's for the $$? [SIZE=3]Yep, 317's are pretty darn lite and if you ride technical, they'll bend and act squirrely. I'm partial to the Mavic 819 rim wrapped around CK hubs using Double butted spokes.[/SIZE]

3) Upgrade from Vanilla to TALAS? I currently have a travel wind down and like it for the long front range climbs, maybe I'd get used to not having travel adj. to benefit from plush coil fork. [SIZE=3]Go with a Zocchi AM1 or something along those lines. 32mm + stanctions are a good thing [/SIZE]

4) Upgrade the cheap casette and chain on the Enduro kit to something else? On my current bike cassette was the first thing to wear out. [SIZE=3]Chains... no big deal but definitely upgrade cassette to XT. LX's are BOAT ANCHORS![/SIZE]

5) Is the carbon swingarm worth the extra $$ I'd love to save the .5 lb, but is carbon going to be as durable? [SIZE=3]Hmmm... Too early to tell as they've just come out. Personally, down here in AZ with nothing but rock... I even protect the CF pivot with a thick piece of Tygon tubing.[/SIZE]

6) What's all the fuss with Chris King headsets? are they really worth that much extra $$ over the cane creek?[SIZE=3] Although CK is all I use for headsets, there are other brands that would suffice.[/SIZE]

I'd love to keep this bike under $3100, any feedback or other suggestons would help a ton!!!
    [SIZE=3]Best of luck... You're in for one of the best AM bikes made! [/SIZE]

1) I'm not the handiest bike machanic, so reliability and ease of use is a must.. [SIZE=3]just ensure pivot bolts are torqued to spec. using Blue loctite.[/SIZE]

1) Upgrade from Juicy 5's to 7's? Is it worth the extra $$ I currently have BB7's on my bike and love 'em, are hydrolics really that much better than mechs? [SIZE=3]Not a Avid hydro user but Hayes hydros have been good to me now for 5+ years.[/SIZE]

2) Would it make sense to upgrade the wheelset, how much better can I really get than Mavic xm 317's for the $$? [SIZE=3]Yep, 317's are pretty darn lite and if you ride technical, they'll bend and act squirrely. I'm partial to the Mavic 819 rim wrapped around CK hubs using Double butted spokes.[/SIZE]

3) Upgrade from Vanilla to TALAS? I currently have a travel wind down and like it for the long front range climbs, maybe I'd get used to not having travel adj. to benefit from plush coil fork. [SIZE=3]Go with a Zocchi AM1 or something along those lines. 32mm + stanctions are a good thing [/SIZE]

4) Upgrade the cheap casette and chain on the Enduro kit to something else? On my current bike cassette was the first thing to wear out. [SIZE=3]Chains... no big deal but definitely upgrade cassette to XT. LX's are BOAT ANCHORS![/SIZE]

5) Is the carbon swingarm worth the extra $$ I'd love to save the .5 lb, but is carbon going to be as durable? [SIZE=3]Hmmm... Too early to tell as they've just come out. Personally, down here in AZ with nothing but rock... I even protect the CF pivot with a thick piece of Tygon tubing.[/SIZE]

6) What's all the fuss with Chris King headsets? are they really worth that much extra $$ over the cane creek?[SIZE=3] Although CK is all I use for headsets, there are other brands that would suffice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Best of luck... You're in for one of the best AM bikes made! [/SIZE]
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member

1) Upgrade from Juicy 5's to 7's? Is it worth the extra $$ I currently have BB7's on my bike and love 'em, are hydrolics really that much better than mechs?

2) Would it make sense to upgrade the wheelset, how much better can I really get than Mavic xm 317's for the $$?

3) Upgrade from Vanilla to TALAS? I currently have a travel wind down and like it for the long front range climbs, maybe I'd get used to not having travel adj. to benefit from plush coil fork

4) Upgrade the cheap casette and chain on the Enduro kit to something else? On my current bike cassette was the first thing to wear out.

5) Is the carbon swingarm worth the extra $$ I'd love to save the .5 lb, but is carbon going to be as durable?

6) What's all the fuss with Chris King headsets? are they really worth that much extra $$ over the cane creek?

1. Yes, the modulation alone is worth it. Mechanicals, in general, feel like on and off switches compared to hydros.
    2. The wheelset was the biggest upgrade I made but I lean towards more XC than freeride. It all depends on your riding style and what you want to do with the bike. If you're XC, upgrade to lighter hoops, more FR upgrade to burlier hoops. If you're trying to save $$, keep the current wheels and replace when you trash them (or when you find a screaming deal on a new wheelset).
    3. I upgraded to the Talas. Being able to lower the front end helps when climbing steep pitches (think Moab Rim). Plus, it's an infinitely adjustable spring. See if you can work up a straight up trade on a Revelation or Pike (you'll need a new front wheel if you get the Pike) however...
    4. Keep the current cassette and upgrade when you wear it out...
    5. I don't doubt the durability of the carbon chainstays and would get it in a heartbeat if it was available when i got my bike but i think this is up for debate with those that have broken carbon parts (like bars and seatposts).
    6. I kept the Cane Creek. My Talas dials hit the downtube when the handlebar is turned and the CC gives you the option to guy a 5mm longer lower cup. I bought the +5mm lower cup but since I switched to a Revelation, the dials now clear the frame so no need to install the +5. Spend the money instead on something really useful, like a spare der. hanger, a seatpost clamp that really clamps, decent tires, etc...

Of course all of the above is just my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth....

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I ride up and down the Front Range as well, I think the 575 is the perfect bike for this area.

I've had Shimano XTRs, Avid BB7s and now Juicy 5s. I think the 5s are a great compromise of price & performance. I don't usually ever miss the pad adjustment (that is the only difference between 5s & 7s), but find they perform excellent and don't need much maintenance other than a bleed once a year.

I love the DT5.1 rims on my 575, so if I was going to upgrade anything on a stock build it would be the wheels. The 5.1s are a nice wide rim that give your tires a great, wide footprint. I haven't flatted a single time with these rims (knocking on wood now).

I love my UTurn adjustment on my PIKE, but I'd rather have a Vanilla than a TALAS. I had a 05 TALAS and my PIKE is better in pretty much every category. If I was going to change the stock Vanilla, I'd go for the RS Revelation with UTurn.

If you can get upgrade credit for it, do it when you buy. Otherwise, just ride it till it wears out and then get an XT/970 cassette.

I opted not for the carbon swingarm. Around here, I just think there are too many rocks waiting to reach out and gouge a carbon swingarm. I went from a 26lb bike to my 575 at 29.9lbs and I'm still faster on the 575. Weight is overrated unless you are a XC Racer.

They last forever and are buttery smooth. Again, if I could get upgrade credit at purchase time, I'd go King. Otherwise, a Cane Creek will be fine. I had a Cane Creek in my last bike and King in my 575, they both pretty much feel the same.

We are definitely gonna have to have an informal Front Range Yeti gathering sometime this summer, there are a lot of us here.

SlimYeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    If you can get upgrade credit for it, do it when you buy. Otherwise, just ride it till it wears out and then get an XT/970 cassette.
    How does one go about getting an upgrade credit when ordering a new rig? I'm really leaning towards an AS-Rsl, but would like to make some modifications to the Race Disc package (something more in between RD and Pro set-up). I apologize for hijacking the thread, arborider.
    Last edited by SlimYeti; 06-09-2006 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Upgrades

no prob Slim Yeti, friendly group on the Yeti forum, thanks to all so far with the advise.

I've talked with Yeti and my local bike shop, if your bike shop has a good relationship with Yeti they can order the bike from Yeti with the upgrades you want (assuming its a part Yeti stocks on one of their bikes), you would just pay the difference between stock part and upgraded part. Otherwise a good bike shop will usually give you credit for the parts you don't want and charge you the difference for what you do want, when you're spending that much on a bike that's something a good shop should be able to provide you.

In my mind, I can do it!

From my vast experience of researching this stuff to death, here is what I would suggest that would be exactly what you would want.

Large Black Ano 575
    Upgrade to the RS Revelation Air U-Turn or the Pike 454. (pike is heavier and costs more. The Revelation is much better and cheaper than the Talas)
    Upgrade the wheels to the CrossMax Enduro. ($200) trade in on the 317's + $500 = $300 total for the wheels.
    I wouldn't get the carbon swingarm because you won't notice a .5 lbs difference and it's not worth the $180 upgrade.
    Keep the Cane Creek headset, it will work fine.
    The SRAM cassette is actually quite good. Keep it.
    The only difference between the J5's and the J7's is the pad adjustment knob on the J7's. If that is important to you then do it. If not, the J5's should serve you well.

Last - Give Will at Fullcycles.com a call and tell him what you are looking for and you may be surprised at the price you can get. Really surprised.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Last - Give Will at Fullcycles.com a call and tell him what you are looking for and you may be surprised at the price you can get. Really surprised.
    Very surprised, got my new 575 for 2160 with DHX upgrade...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just got my 575 with the carbon swingarm. I can't really comment on the durabilty, but it didn't break on my first ride I got the Enduro Kit and the only thing I swapped out was I traded the Fox Vanilla fork for the Fox Float. That and the carbon saves almost a pound. So my bike comes in at exactly 29lbs. My LBS (Road 34 in Fort Collins) got the bike quickly setup, since Yeti did the fork swap. The next upgrade I'm going to get is to swap out the Minion tires for some Panaracer Cinder 2.1s. I found it strange how they did the whole wheelset and tires. The matched LX rear hub with the Mavic 317 with Minion tires. The 317 rims are more along the lines of an lightweight XC rim. And the Minions are definitely a DH focused tire and they are boat anchors at 1350gr each. I'll save about 2.5 lbs by changing tires.

BTW I got the 2007 fox shocks, float 32 RLC and the new float RP23. The fork is pretty much the same, except it is now 140mm instead of 130mm. The RP23 has 2 main settings, open and propedal. And the propedal has 3 settings, light, med, firm. Haven't played around much, but switching between the two does make a difference climbing and going downhill.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by AbominableYeti
    Very surprised, got my new 575 for 2160 with DHX upgrade...
    Cool... I'm glad he is getting some business. That's a great price.