Thread: bottle cages

Who is John Galt?

bottle cages

Anyone running a bottle cage on their 575? I need to add one, like to keep Gatorade on the bike to go with the hyrdration pack. But it doesn't look like there's enough room for a bottle inside and I really don't like the outside location.
    What, me hurry?

Hi!!!
    Yup...I bought a side entry cage from either Nashbar or Performance...I can't remember. Under $10. Obvioulsy I can't use a big bottle so I just use a small one...like 20oz or so. I do tend to hit the ProPedal lever when putting the bottle back in though.

Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nashbar (and others) carry a side-entry one (made by Elite) that looks nicer than the Nashbar one. That's what I had/have and like it a lot.

mtbr member
    ya if use any bigger than a 20 oz bottle it will tend to stick out to the side and hit your pro pedal lever. however i have a friend who has a XL frame and runs the big bottles with no problems, medium like mine however has clearance issues. i just went out and got a bigger 3L camelback so i can carry more water on my back now

Who is John Galt?
    My old bike had two cages and on epic rides I put two bottles of Gatorade in. I hate to put that stuff in the pack and I like a mix of water plus Gatorjuice. seems like I saw a picture of someone who had a turquiose cage?
    What, me hurry?

Hi!!!
    Add a cage on the bottom of your downtube. Yeah it's gonna get gunked up with whatever your front tire wants to kick up, but just screw off the top and you're good to go. Or go with one of the triathlon type of bottle carriers where it puts the bottles at the back of the seat.

Adobo Lover
    The Elite side loading, as flyer said, is the one that I use on my small 575 frame. Only fits a small bottle though for me. There is a few pics of the elite cage out there on the 575 on the subject. Do a search.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

In my mind, I can do it!
    Interesting that you should ask... I haven't had a bottle cage on any bike for well over a year now.. until the other day I added one on the Yeti. It's there for times when I am riding with the kids on the street and don't want to pack my CB or when I need a little extra to drink that the 2L CB won't hold. It's been HOT here. In the 3 digit temps daily.

It's just an aluminum red ano cage off one of my old bikes.

Who is John Galt?
    What makes me ask is it's been so hot here too, I stuff the Gatorjuice in the pack and then don't drink it cause it's too much trouble to get to it. So my wife has been telling me, when ya going to get the cage? Do it now...

I rode yesterday, it was 103, and at the trailhead there were two women rollerblading, an older man walking, three runners and a group of four doing a fashion shoot, hot blonde in a black cocktail dress standing on my favorite trail-ending jump.

Guess no one around here has enough sense to come in out of the heat!
    What, me hurry?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    What makes me ask is it's been so hot here too, I stuff the Gatorjuice in the pack and then don't drink it cause it's too much trouble to get to it. So my wife has been telling me, when ya going to get the cage? Do it now...

I rode yesterday, it was 103, and at the trailhead there were two women rollerblading, an older man walking, three runners and a group of four doing a fashion shoot, hot blonde in a black cocktail dress standing on my favorite trail-ending jump.

Guess no one around here has enough sense to come in out of the heat!
    Hot blond.. favorite jump. hmmm Hot blond.... favorite jump. That's a tough decision. I know there is a Freudian slip in there somewhere.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Now that's trail repair I can live with!! Makes for a much softer landing, but the degree of difficulty just went through the roof!

mtbr member
    I have a few bottles, and this short 21oz bottle is the only one that fits:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    ...Or go with one of the triathlon type of bottle carriers where it puts the bottles at the back of the seat.

Wouldn't that get in the way when getting behind the saddle for descents, or can you mount it real low?

Ant

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Hot blond.. favorite jump. hmmm Hot blond.... favorite jump. That's a tough decision. I know there is a Freudian slip in there somewhere.
    Sick minds at work! After 12 miles or so on that stock Yeti saddle I just thought, "wish she would move those shapely thighs and unfettered breasts out of the way so I can land this jump. Wonder if I should add a bottle cage to the Yeti. Man, this BB height is low. Do Titus bikes really suck on the climbs?"

Going to have to take up a new activity or maybe get a different saddle...
    What, me hurry?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    Sick minds at work! After 12 miles or so on that stock Yeti saddle I just thought, "wish she would move those shapely thighs and unfettered breasts out of the way so I can land this jump. Wonder if I should add a bottle cage to the Yeti. Man, this BB height is low. Do Titus bikes really suck on the climbs?"

Going to have to take up a new activity or maybe get a different saddle...
    Yes, saddle sores and blonds do not mix.
    Add a bottle cage, what could it hurt?
    BB height is not low, put more air in the shock. 50% sag is not adviseable.
    Yes, Titus bikes don't climb well at all. They prefer slight downgrades or level sidewalk terrain. I think the Motolite got best roadbike 2 years in a row or something like that.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Wouldn't that get in the way when getting behind the saddle for descents, or can you mount it real low?

Ant
    Good q1uestion. I've seen 'em on tri bikes before and they would definately get in the way if you needed to get behind the saddle.

---------------

The best solution is to get at least the side entry cage and if you really insist on carrying more than one bottle that isn't in your pack, put a cage on the downtube. The only issue I've had with a bottle underneath is all the muck that gets on it.

I really can't speak to clearance issues since I rarely ride very tech, rock and log strewn trails. But as you can see in this pic, it shouldn't be that big of an issue unless you hit some pretty big ass rocks and trees and kids....

Who is John Galt?

Twist out bottle cage adapter

I wonder if this is the solution for a cage that actually lets you get the bottle out of tight spaces, aka inside position on Yetis?
    http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/bottlecages/x15.php
    What, me hurry?