Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: which bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

which bike?

The age old question.... and I'm sure you guys will be biased. Looking at getting either a 575 or Blur LT.
    Has anyone ridden both?
    Are their any consistent problems with either bike?
    any differences in build quality?
    Also, how durable are anodized finishes? - are they worth the extra cash?

I'd appreciate any advice...or if you know of a better section of the forums to post this, please let me know

HYH
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was recently in the same conundrum between a 575, Epiphany and 5 Spot. The LBS recommended the 5 Spot, 2 riding buddies would swear by their Foes FXR etc. The best advice I got was this. Buy the bike that you like best. At this range, they are all good and you will not be dissapointed with either choice. I won't go through the technical spec here as I am sure you, like me, have gone through all the literature.

I went for the 575 and took delivery last week. It is to me a beautiful and unique looking bike. However, if you must have a VPP or 4 Bar suspension, then the 575 should not be in your list.

I'm a unitard!
    No question. 575

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the responses
    HYH - what finish did you opt for?
    mtbfool - what features do think sets the Yeti above the Blur LT?

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAnt
    Thanks for the responses
    mtbfool - what features do think sets the Yeti above the Blur LT?
    I have no idea. I've never ridden a blur, but Yetis rock, so I said 575.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    How can I argue with that

HYH
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Anodized Black as I am hoping that it is more scratch resistant than the powder coat finish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Good choice HYH. I had heard that about anodized finishes. I'd be interested to hear if you find that it is really more durable as you clock more hours on it.
    Did you get a Yeti build kit?

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat - choosing between a 575 or a Blur LT. I'll be in Moab in early October and want to buy a bike at the start of the trip, use it while I'm there and then bring it home for a long and happy (but wet!) life in the UK. I currently ride a SC Heckler and I want something fairly light with about 5" travel for 'agressive xc' use, nothing too extreme.

I haven't ridden either bike so may have to go with gut instinct (or just toss a coin) so any advice is welcome. NB just saying '575s rule' is not advice!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The maintenance is a nightmare on the Blur suspension. Otherwise, it rides well. I have a friend who just bought one. It rides really well but I would not want to own it. The 575 rides efficiently as well so it's a no-brainer for me.

Another problem he is having is that his Specialized 2.1 rear tire has so little clearance that the knobs were grazing the brace (or whatever it is) till they wore down on the first ride. Now he has 1mm clearance. We are both shocked and he is trying to get some answers from SC- not much luck yet (two weeks). I promise you I can call and get one of the Yeti guys to pick up the phone and help me out in one or two tries.

So, their customer service is not the best, from what I have read here (not personal experience, obviously). My LBS says the same thing (he ordered the bike thru them) about their customer service. He waited four months while they had his money and gave him the run around on the frame. He now wishes he had bought the 575 or a Turner.

If you take out customer service, high maintenance issue, and potential tire clearance issue, it's a super bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    The maintenance is a nightmare on the Blur suspension. Otherwise, it rides well. I have a friend who just bought one. It rides really well but I would not want to own it. The 575 rides efficiently as well so it's a no-brainer for me.

Another problem he is having is that his Specialized 2.1 rear tire has so little clearance that the knobs were grazing the brace (or whatever it is) till they wore down on the first ride. Now he has 1mm clearance. We are both shocked and he is trying to get some answers from SC- not much luck yet (two weeks). I promise you I can call and get one of the Yeti guys to pick up the phone and help me out in one or two tries.

So, their customer service is not the best, from what I have read here (not personal experience, obviously). My LBS says the same thing (he ordered the bike thru them) about their customer service. He waited four months while they had his money and gave him the run around on the frame. He now wishes he had bought the 575 or a Turner.

If you take out customer service, high maintenance issue, and potential tire clearance issue, it's a super bike
    I'm hearing that the maintenance is a problem from the SC guys. I think tyre clearence has been sorted on the LT (as opposed to the original Blur). One thing I have heard about the 575 is that there have been some issues with rear subframes cracking, anyone here suffered from that? Is it particular to Carbon or Aluminium subframes?

Hi!!!
    I certainly hoped you asked this question in the SC forum!

surly inbred
    what features do think sets the Yeti above the Blur LT?
    bearing maintenance; or lack thereof.

EDR
    I have a 575. I rode my buddies new blur LT a few weeks ago. No comparison to me. His LT cost more than my bike but I wouldn't trade him straight up.

But...............it only matters what type of bike you like better. The LT felt much like the SJ another friend of mine has, at least the feeling in the cockpit and how you sit over the front wheel more than the yeti. I find the Yeti more hardcore trail ride friendly and the LT a little more XCish friendly.

After riding his bike I even started a post on this site................."In Love with my 575 All Over Again!", haha.

You'll get all the opposite answers on the SC forum,, lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for all the great replies. The 575 is very tempting. I really should ask the same question over at the SC forum, but I think Eatdrinkride is spot on about the responses I would get.

Still wondering what you guys think about the anodized finish?
    Also, is the race disc worth the extra spendoolies over the enduro?

I'm a unitard!
    I really like anodized frames. I've had one. It wasn't a Yeti. They definitely don't scratch as easily as paint and pretty much keep that new look a lot longer. It's lighter too, but if you're thinking about a 575, weight is obviously not your biggest concern.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Good to know that the anodized is actually more durable. The black looks good, but I might find it hard to go past Yeti team colors. I guess it all comes down to availability anyway...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nah- you can get any color practically at any time. If I want a specific color, I bet I'll make one call and my favorite Yeti dealer will either have it in stock or order it for me if he doesn't. He hasn't let me (or anyone I've sent to him) down yet.

EDR
    Ano vs. paint is not that big of a deal. The Yeti ano from what i've read is somewhat thin. Granted it won't chip like paint but there are other con's. For instance.....a black ano job that gets a lot of direct sunlight will 'fade' over time and start to look purple. I haven't heard from any Yeti owners that this is an issue so maybe it's a moot point.

FWIW...I have the team paint job and it has taken a beating.....the damage is always a rounded 'chip' not some big ass scratch. No more than 3 or 4mm on any big rock strike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I certainly hoped you asked this question in the SC forum!
    Yup, I did! Amazingly, first response I got was from an SC dealer who said don't buy a Blur LT, they are a nightmare to maintain. Guess my mind is made up!!

Looks like I'm in the same boat as DrAnt - is the Race Disc Kit significantly better than Enduro?

HYH
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Good choice HYH. I had heard that about anodized finishes. I'd be interested to hear if you find that it is really more durable as you clock more hours on it.
    Did you get a Yeti build kit?
    No. Part of the enjoyment is building up the bike and I really wouldn't compromise on the 07 Talas 32 which isn't in the build kit. But go for the kit for a better deal.
    I have been following this thread with some interest. I don't agree about the comments on the SC Blur LT. It is a great bike but sometimes, you might get a bad apple with which ever manufacturer you decide on. If you can, demo both bikes and buy the one that you like best.

If you finally decide on the 575, go for the carbon and DHX upgrade.

mtbr member
    Decision made - it's a 575 for me! Going for a Carbon Enduro upgraded with Floats and juciy 7s. Pick it up im Moab next week, can't wait!!

Who is John Galt?
    Wow, some dude on the SC forum actually called the Yeti ugly. Can you believe it? Must be the drugs. They are not speaking too highly of the SC bearing issue. "I only had to replace mine twice in one year." Wow, that's ugly...

I've got to say I like the VPP ride, but if you are taking the bike to England you don't want a VPP. The Yeti single pivot is that much less to replace. I read Singletrack a lot, can't believe the mud you guys face. There is a real clearance issue with the Blur LT.

Got to say though if I had the cash I would have bought a Nomad. Got a chance to ride one of the first our LBS got in and never had a bike feel so right for me. Moot point, I don't have that kind of cash, could have bought 2 Yetis for the price of one Nomad. Also 6 inches of travel is way overkill for my neck of the woods.

I've always lusted after an SC, hung out for a long time on the SC forum and everyone hates the SC service. It takes years to get a bike out of them, and there have been tons of posts on paint problems. If I had to make your choice I would be comparing Yetis and Intense, not SC.
    What, me hurry?

Bomber
    I opted for the enduro kit because a) I see myself getting a new fork in about a years worth time, and b) at time of purchase I was planning on building a sick wheel set (placed the king hub order yesterday), so dumping extra cash for some nicities i may not use too long did not make sense to me, but if u see a lot of value in slightly lighter, blingier parts i say go for it, I would be happy with with some juicy 7s and deus components, but in reality I dont need em (racing is my thing, I just like to have fun) whereas bombproof wheels and an 07 fork can make a big difference...another thing....how many bikes are supplied with enduro seals? And offer info and tools for your own diy frame overhaul...?

HYH
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oomidamon
    Decision made - it's a 575 for me! Going for a Carbon Enduro upgraded with Floats and juciy 7s. Pick it up im Moab next week, can't wait!!
    Good choice. The longer travel works well with the Enduro kit. How about giving us a Heckler vs 575 review later. Enjoy your week at Moab.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast